Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxile5

What's everyone cooking?

Made some curry lamb with west indian style roti (basically different flour then our east indian atta flour).

Was damn good. Only quickly chopped some cucumber as i forgot to chop a salad up lol.

Roti compliments Mrs Jattdogg. Curry lamb by yours truly.

Had to screen shot my own picture because the original file was 3mb. Screen shot was under 2mb so the quality of the picture is not as good lol

Screenshot_20200411-181002_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Jattdogg
  • Like 1

Got a rolled breast of lamb which I haven’t cooked with or had before. Anyway I seared it in a pan then set aside, then added onion carrot garlic and herbs to the pan and browned. Then added tomato purée and red wine, then some veg stock and reduced for a bit. Now added the sauce over the lamb and stuck it in the oven for 3 hours. Hopefully works out alright. Gonna have it with mashed potatoes peas mint sauce and a glass of Malbec.

Edited by Unabomber
  • Like 1

Got a whole lamb neck in the freezer which I need to do something slow with. Not sure whether to go down an Indian style route or whether to keep it classic. Not sure if I should have got two, once all the bones have been removed, first time I've got one like this.

47 minutes ago, Toddybad said:

Got a whole lamb neck in the freezer which I need to do something slow with. Not sure whether to go down an Indian style route or whether to keep it classic. Not sure if I should have got two, once all the bones have been removed, first time I've got one like this.

You should still have plenty of meat from a whole neck. Underrated bit of meat 

I love a Rendang so that's what I'd be thinking, think slow cook cuts of meat with spice are great, or Paul Ainsworth does a cracking Shepherd's pie with lamb shoulder but could use lamb neck.

Update us on what you decide, always interested in people using underused cuts of meat. I'd love to be capable of opening a restaurant, one would be seafood in Cornwall but I would also love one to be specifically dedicated to underused cuts and offal though I suspect it'd quickly go out of business. 

Edited by Kopfkino

6 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

You should still have plenty of meat from a whole neck. Underrated bit of meat 

I love a Rendang so that's what I'd be thinking, think slow cook cuts of meat with spice are great, or Paul Ainsworth does a cracking Shepherd's pie with lamb shoulder but could use lamb neck.

Update us on what you decide, always interested in people using underused cuts of meat. I'd love to be capable of opening a restaurant, one would be seafood in Cornwall but I would also love one to be specifically dedicated to underused cuts and offal though I suspect it'd quickly go out of business. 

A Rendang does sound very good...

A little restaurant is my impossible dream too mate. Somewhere relatively remote although maybe I'd have to get a seaside cafe for the summer!

Biggest annoyance of this lockdown is that I had a day cooking at Rick Stein's place booked which has been cancelled.

3 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Got a rolled breast of lamb which I haven’t cooked with or had before. Anyway I seared it in a pan then set aside, then added onion carrot garlic and herbs to the pan and browned. Then added tomato purée and red wine, then some veg stock and reduced for a bit. Now added the sauce over the lamb and stuck it in the oven for 3 hours. Hopefully works out alright. Gonna have it with mashed potatoes peas mint sauce and a glass of Malbec.

Don’t know why it’s sideways but you get the picture 

089B2C26-6CD9-43F5-B944-9849D54AC0DC.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Unabomber said:

Currently making a cottage pie 

Got a chicken casserole in the slow cooker today using up all the veg left over from the weeks dinners.

Chicken should be falling off the bone when it's done.

Infact all that's missing today is some fa cup semi final football to relax infront of with a beer.

• Like 1

I think today might be my favourite day of the year so far. An absolute delight outside and I've got a lovely bit of spring lamb, first of the year. Put some oregano, rosemary, wild garlic, lemon and some olive oil into the spice grinder, poked some holes in the lamb, shoved some of the mix down and smothered the rest on top. Smells so fresh. 

Add some hasselback potatoes and probably a broad bean, feta, tomato and mint salad

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

I think today might be my favourite day of the year so far. An absolute delight outside and I've got a lovely bit of spring lamb, first of the year. Put some oregano, rosemary, wild garlic, lemon and some olive oil into the spice grinder, poked some holes in the lamb, shoved some of the mix down and smothered the rest on top. Smells so fresh. 

Add some hasselback potatoes and probably a broad bean, feta, tomato and mint salad

Sounds good mate 

10 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Sounds great wanna share any lol

Just made Salt and Pepper and Gochugang sauce chicken wings and chips. So good.

I’m eating really well and cooking loads in this lockdown which is a positive. I made this chocolate fondant and raspberry coulis the other day, tasty shit even if it does look like tomato soup.

C393F718-E134-4F88-9BC7-9B0373952A31.jpeg

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

Just made Salt and Pepper and Gochugang sauce chicken wings and chips. So good.

I’m eating really well and cooking loads in this lockdown which is a positive. I made this chocolate fondant and raspberry coulis the other day, tasty shit even if it does look like tomato soup.

C393F718-E134-4F88-9BC7-9B0373952A31.jpeg

Looks like you were making a pizza but got bored and stuck a cake on it 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Thought I would try to make my own Chinese tonight. Salt and chilli chicken with crispy shredded beef, only gone and nailed it.

AD9F6F73-8EE4-4E66-8AED-9D3CC7003885.jpeg

That looks awesome. Any chance you can point me to the receipe, wouldn’t mind giving that A shout myself. 

1 hour ago, Suzie the Fox said:

That looks awesome. Any chance you can point me to the receipe, wouldn’t mind giving that A shout myself. 

Crispy Beef- https://www.coolasleicester.co.uk/shredded-crispy-chilli-beef-with-kwoklyn-wan/

Salt and pepper chicken- https://hintofhelen.com/salt-and-pepper-chicken/

Both really simple.

• Thanks 1

On 11/04/2020 at 23:12, Jattdogg said:

Made some curry lamb with west indian style roti (basically different flour then our east indian atta flour).

Was damn good. Only quickly chopped some cucumber as i forgot to chop a salad up lol.

Roti compliments Mrs Jattdogg. Curry lamb by yours truly.

Had to screen shot my own picture because the original file was 3mb. Screen shot was under 2mb so the quality of the picture is not as good lol

Screenshot_20200411-181002_Gallery.jpg

I'm doing a chicken curry in the slow cooker today, and I'd like to make Roti to go with it, is this a good recipe to follow?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/roti_31237

How do you make yours?

Used some sweet chilli jar sauce to make like a bolognaise style mine dish. 

Utterly horrendous and tasted foul. Usually i don't mind jar sauces for something quick but this ruined a dinner. 

Real piss boiler too because I'd eaten a tonne before i was prepared to write it off. Nightmare. 

1 hour ago, z-layrex said:

I'm doing a chicken curry in the slow cooker today, and I'd like to make Roti to go with it, is this a good recipe to follow?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/roti_31237

How do you make yours?

I dont typically make them, the wife does but even her technique is slightly different to my grandmothers and mums.

We make two types.

1. Trinidadian west indian roti (which is more similar to a punjabi style paratha and is also called buss up shot roti/paratha). They also make something called sada roti which you can look into as well as dhal puri roti but thats next level lol. My wife makes the buss up shot style but with one change, she doesnt "bust" it up hence its not buss-up-shot lol the pic from above is her version of it but with my style curry lamb.

2. typical punjabi style roti.

They use different flours and even technique to making the atta/dough. I'd suggest you watch a few youtube videos if you've never made them.

Buying the indian atta flour is best option for indian style rotis. For west indian ones they basically use all purpose white flour similar to what you would use in baking breads and add a little baking powder and some yeast or something.  Again, you might see differences in how Trinis make it amongst themselves. Guyanese also make similar rotis to trinis. Trinis/guyanese make the best "Caribbean" rotis though. 

You don't need an indian style tava to cook them on. You can use a nonstick type pan just make sure its not cold or in the warming up phase when you toss the uncooked roti on lol it has to be already hot to cook it the right way.

The key at least with punjabi style roti is it puffs up like a fat rounded tent at some point, if not you did something wrong. 

Take pics, i'm sure it will come out well!

Edited by Jattdogg