Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxile5

What's everyone cooking?

Last night I did roast chicken leg with simple creamy garlic mushroom sauce. Soften up a red onion in a little olive oil until translucent, add a knob of salted butter, a couple cloves of garlic through a press, a load of button mushrooms, and cook down until they begin to release their moisture. 

Season with black pepper and add a few dollops of creme fraiche, a teaspoon of dijon mustard, and a handful of grated Grana Padano. 

You can serve over seasoned, skin-on roasted chicken leg like I did with a few veg, or it goes really well served on its own with crusty bread or stirred through your pasta of choice if you fancy a meat-free meal. 

Super cheap, tasty and doesn't leave much washing up. 

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 3

I've been using the Pinch of Nom cookbooks (apparently it was the largest selling book in the UK by some distance last year, so I'm not the only one)

Some really nice, simple and (relatively) healthy dinners in there

Creamy Garlic Chicken

Chicken Orzo

Cumberland Pie

Cuban Beef

Chicken Satay

are some of our favourites and we use it more or less every day

Links to the two books here. Anyone else use them?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pinch-Nom-Slimming-Home-style-Recipes/dp/1529014069/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=pinch+of+nom&qid=1583237311&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pinch-Nom-Everyday-Light-Slimming/dp/1529026407/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=pinch+of+nom&qid=1583237311&sr=8-2

• Like 1

There used to be a cooking thread where one member was putting up really very impressive photos of his efforts. 

Yesterday I just made a guac to dip sourdough bread in for lunch, which was fantastic - homemade guac is a joy compared to the lifeless rubbish you get in pots.

Then had some chicken pan seared with some chestnut mushrooms, asparagus and kale, done slightly French style with wine and stock reductions to form a sauce with some soured cream stirred through. Tasty.

• Like 2

Meanwhile, there is this lady who is the best kind of genius there is for coming up with this idea:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/game-changing-trick-chicken-kiev-16838335

People on social media have gone wild over a 'game changing' chicken Kiev cooking trick.

A clever cook shared her way of getting a delicious slice of garlic bread every time you cook one. What a bonus.

Letting people in on her top tip, Maria List posted on Facebook: "Anyone else put a slice of bread under their chicken Kiev’s so it soaks up all that juicy garlic butter and you get a nice slice of garlic bread to go with it?".

Maria's post took off across the globe, with more than 18,000 shares, 37,000 comments and 10,000 likes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, stretch1965 said:

My dish usually on a sunday is a good sized seasoned piece of beef brisket cooked in red wine in a slow cooker, the beef just falls apart. its piss easy

Sear/seal beef in a frying pan then add to slow cooker with two glasses merlot or sav/cab shallots and two beef stock pots then cook for 7 hours.

I then make the gravy with jus it was cooked in which takes great flavour from the beef by sieving into a saucepan and thicken with beef gravy granuals.

Here's the best bit,

I make sure I have enough left over to make pulled beef brisket burgers the next day in lightly toasted brioche buns, monteray jack cheese with a few jalapenos. 

Vegetarian option not available...……………………….

I only recently discovered brisket and it was a revelation, I did very similarly to you, even including the left overs the next day in brioche with home made bbq sauce. 

A firm favourite in my house is @Swan Lesta's stilton beef burgers 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest seanfox778
2 hours ago, Toddybad said:

There used to be a cooking thread where one member was putting up really very impressive photos of his efforts. 

I think that was @Durnerz could be wrong but that name popped into my head when I saw a cooking thread because I remembered someone posting some top of the range food.

47 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I completely missed pancake day this year :(

I find that having kids is a bit like making pancakes. The first one always turns a bit shit.

Edited by Izzy
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

And then after the second one you're a bit sick of them.... 

And then you stupidly make a third and realise it was a mistake and you didn’t really want it.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Izzy said:

And then you stupidly make a third and realise it was a mistake and you didn’t really want it.

Now when you have a fourth you can Spoil it..Let it get out of doing things,create a little Rebel...

Lifes revenge...Dont  halt piss the 1St 3 Kids off..!!!  Great discussion for later Family christmases....:jump:

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

Now when you have a fourth you can Spoil it..Let it get out of doing things,create a little Rebel...

Lifes revenge...Dont  halt piss the 1St 3 Kids off..!!!  Great discussion for later Family christmases....:jump:

What the **** are you going with your pancakes mate?

Trying to lay off the carbs.

Last night I made some Thai Chicken Meatballs - Turkey mince, chopped lemongrass, chili, ginger, and garlic. Mixed up with an egg and breadcrumbs.

I did some brocolli and mange tu in some coconut milk and Thai green curry paste.

Brilliant stuff - cheap and healthy!

Bloody love cooking, definitely one of those people on masterchef that Swan in first round thinking they're the dogs bollocks and end up serving raw chicken. 

Last night had pan fried Calves liver with crispy prosciutto, a red onion relish sort of thing, celeriac and a dollop of Bisto. 

Going to pan fry a fillet of mackerel for lunch with a roasted beetroot, orange, caper and rocket salad

Also was happy at the weekend as I made puff pastry for the first time for venison wellington, a lot of effort and barely noticed the difference between shop bought but nice to be able to do something I guess. 

2 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Bloody love cooking, definitely one of those people on masterchef that Swan in first round thinking they're the dogs bollocks and end up serving raw chicken. 

Last night had pan fried Calves liver with crispy prosciutto, a red onion relish sort of thing, celeriac and a dollop of Bisto. 

Going to pan fry a fillet of mackerel for lunch with a roasted beetroot, orange, caper and rocket salad

Also was happy at the weekend as I made puff pastry for the first time for venison wellington, a lot of effort and barely noticed the difference between shop bought but nice to be able to do something I guess. 

You using the smoked Mackerel?

And how are you preparing the celeriac?