Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxile5

What's everyone cooking?

7 hours ago, foxile5 said:

You using the smoked Mackerel?

And how are you preparing the celeriac?

Nope, just fresh out of the fishmongers this morning. Tho I would like to get into smoking my own fish. 

Cube it and basically boil it in a mix of cream and milk with garlic and thyme, tip some of the cooking liquid away and blend it with a hand blender into a rough puree. 

Did Simon Rogan's celeriac, mustard and honey glazed chicken today, was pretty decent

On 03/03/2020 at 16:30, stretch1965 said:

My dish usually on a sunday is a good sized seasoned piece of beef brisket cooked in red wine in a slow cooker, the beef just falls apart. its piss easy

Sear/seal beef in a frying pan then add to slow cooker with two glasses merlot or sav/cab shallots and two beef stock pots then cook for 7 hours.

I then make the gravy with jus it was cooked in which takes great flavour from the beef by sieving into a saucepan and thicken with beef gravy granuals.

Here's the best bit,

I make sure I have enough left over to make pulled beef brisket burgers the next day in lightly toasted brioche buns, monteray jack cheese with a few jalapenos. 

Vegetarian option not available...……………………….

I do brisket Sunday dinner. Slow roast brisket (ovened)  gravy the same as you, but thickened with corn flower. Roast spuds, horseradish sauce (sometimes homemade) and broccoli or something. I much prefer it to topside, and it’s so hard to get pink roast beef right. 

21 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Nope, just fresh out of the fishmongers this morning. Tho I would like to get into smoking my own fish. 

Cube it and basically boil it in a mix of cream and milk with garlic and thyme, tip some of the cooking liquid away and blend it with a hand blender into a rough puree. 

Did Simon Rogan's celeriac, mustard and honey glazed chicken today, was pretty decent

Easy to cure fish as a starting point - no kit required for smoking it. 

Treacle cured salmon is a good start!!

6FC731AD-ABB2-40F4-B090-2F2E6DAC2FA0.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Easy to cure fish as a starting point - no kit required for smoking it. 

Treacle cured salmon is a good start!!

6FC731AD-ABB2-40F4-B090-2F2E6DAC2FA0.jpeg

I tried beetroot-cured salmon not long ago but ended up way too salty for me, probably got my mix completely wrong 

• Like 1

Into a good Curry and really trying to nail the BIR style home made sauces, seriously once you perfect a solid base gravy it's unreal how close to an Indian takeaway meal you have. 

Having some fun lately aswell with a small, cheapish Hibachi grill. 

10 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Into a good Curry and really trying to nail the BIR style home made sauces, seriously once you perfect a solid base gravy it's unreal how close to an Indian takeaway meal you have. 

Having some fun lately aswell with a small, cheapish Hibachi grill. 

I actually prefer home-style Indian cooking to takeaway stuff. It’s very different. I got the 50 Great Curries of India book and took it from there. 

2 hours ago, Desabafar said:

what vegetarian or vegan ideas do you have, I'd like to eat more of this but never know what to do

I don't know what you're after but chunky salsa is as vegan as it comes and is incredible. I eat it with everything.

Finely chop :

1 Red Onion

1/2 White Onion

XXX cloves of garlic (personal preference)

3 vine tomatoes

1 cm of ginger (optional) 

and mix in a bowl. Add in the juice and some zest of 1 lime and some cracked black peppercorns and some salt. Finely chop a handful of coriander. Ready to rock and roll and it goes with anything.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Desabafar said:

what vegetarian or vegan ideas do you have, I'd like to eat more of this but never know what to do

I'm not a vegetarian or vegan but can happily have meat free meals.

Much more choice in terms of cook books these days. I realise not everybody likes the guy but Jamie Oliver's recent vege series would give you some ideas on via More4 or whatever it's called. He usually does simple crowd pleasers so not a bad place to start. 

Chickpeas, squash and cauliflower  are your friends often, can use them to make all sorts of things and bring bulk to curries etc

Edited by Toddybad
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Desabafar said:

I love a mushroom bourguignon, as you're not actually veggie you can just use any red wine. Get a mix of whatever mushrooms you can find in the supermarket, chop them up to however you want but keep them substantial, fry them off. Rehydrate some dried porcini mushrooms for 20 mins, save the liquid and chop them up. Get some shallots (I usually half them) fry them for a bit, add however much garlic you like with some thyme, add parsnip and carrot (best boiling the carrot for a bit first as they don't cook very well in acid) then tip in the porcini mushrooms, the liquid and about 500ml of red wine, leave it to cook and reduce down for 30 minutes and then throw the mushrooms back in. Serve with a heap of mashed potato or a jacket.

Or a Dhal is always good. Or basically take the meat out of any variation of a Thai curry works pretty well with combinations of cauli/aubergine/carrot/chickpea replacing the meat.

Or Shakshuka

Edited by Kopfkino
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

20200223_172240.jpg

I never really got on with my Ooni, tbh. I could never get the temperature up high enough and ended up faffing around for too long stuffing the pellets down the tube to keep it going! 

Just now, Milo said:

I never really got on with my Ooni, tbh. I could never get the temperature up high enough and ended up faffing around for too long stuffing the pellets down the tube to keep it going! 

I've had a few battles too mate but in the last few months I seem to have got the hang of it. Get a blow torch and an infra red thermometer and it's much much easier to get to where you need to be temperature wise.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I've had a few battles too mate but in the last few months I seem to have got the hang of it. Get a blow torch and an infra red thermometer and it's much much easier to get to where you need to be temperature wise.

yeah - I can imagine it’s satisfying once you’ve cracked it.

Actually splashed out on one of these a little while ago...

9E26E61F-801C-4071-9EF7-1FCA7A033D5A.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Walkers said:

Really? I thought it was a stupid idea, genuinely making it though because i'm weird

No different to making a ham omelette really, just using Spam instead. Add some finely chopped onions and chives with melted mature cheddar on top and Bobs your uncle.