Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

UK police absolutely, categorically, shouldn't be a target - this isn't about them at all, the Stephen Lawrence case and the look into "stop and search" policy and bolstered reform dealt with any kind of racism that might have been institutionalised there. The actions of the US police should be the sole and only focus, not score-settling over perceived slights over here.

Unfortunately it's always going to be the case that you will get a hardcore of nutters that don't get that memo or don't want to read it.

However, at the same time, there will be those who use those actions as an excuse to decry the whole movement and they shouldn't be listened to either.

There's some parallels with Extinction Rebellion (neo-Luddite dafties that they are) and the overall climate change/scientific policy movement, come to that.

Good post.

And you’re right. We have made mistakes as a country, and our forces have been proven in certain areas to be misusing certain powers against ethnic groups, which was addressed and changed. I know from speaking with my brother and sister that the police training is extremely hot on diversity, they are very strict in getting the message across, and are very pro educating on past mistakes. The difference between us and some other countries is we are open to change, open to learning and keen to figure out why things go wrong. There’s not many people who want to actively be shit at their job and enjoy constantly failing people, but unfortunately there will always be a minority who go against this and there will always be a minority that let people down. It’s life, it’s human. The important thing is that we learn from it, which personally I think we do well here in the UK? 

2 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

What are people in this country actually protesting about. Just saw this image and, as I see it, the Fvck all police message is not about racism, it’s about people wanting to live in chaotic society.

0BC6E656-125E-47FD-9FBD-72F3EDD8DC67.png

The message in a lot of protests often ends up getting hijacked doesn’t it?

I really don’t see the point in continuing with restrictions and respecting the stay alert message whilst this sort of thing continues.

3 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

What are people in this country actually protesting about. Just saw this image and, as I see it, the Fvck all police message is not about racism, it’s about people wanting to live in chaotic society.

It is getting a bit silly now.  I haven't seen anyone demanding to defund the police here yet, but I suspect it won't be long.

American popular culture has such a massive influence on people over here, I genuinely think some people in the UK genuinely think that UK/US is the same!

2 minutes ago, nnfox said:

It is getting a bit silly now.  I haven't seen anyone demanding to defund the police here yet, but I suspect it won't be long.

American popular culture has such a massive influence on people over here, I genuinely think some people in the UK genuinely think that UK/US is the same!

Your probably right. We don’t call the rozzers cops for a start.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The protests have lost all meaning now due to the violence, once that happens I think a lot of people start to turn away from it.

Counter productive to the whole point of it , but maybe that’s what the powers that be  want. Sends the we were right you were wrong message.

12 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The protests have lost all meaning now due to the violence, once that happens I think a lot of people start to turn away from it.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

UK police absolutely, categorically, shouldn't be a target - this isn't about them at all, the Stephen Lawrence case and the look into "stop and search" policy and bolstered reform dealt with any kind of racism that might have been institutionalised there. The actions of the US police should be the sole and only focus, not score-settling over perceived slights over here.

Unfortunately it's always going to be the case that you will get a hardcore of nutters that don't get that memo or don't want to read it.

However, at the same time, there will be those who use those actions as an excuse to decry the whole movement and they shouldn't be listened to either.

There's some parallels with Extinction Rebellion (neo-Luddite dafties that they are) and the overall climate change/scientific policy movement, come to that.

I'm sorry, man, but I had to point this one out.

The violence does not negate the issue that still exists.

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

The message in a lot of protests often ends up getting hijacked doesn’t it?

I really don’t see the point in continuing with restrictions and respecting the stay alert message whilst this sort of thing continues.

13 Best Down With This Sort Of Thing! Careful Now! images ...

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

It doesn't negate the issue, but you'll find it a lot harder to convince people to support a movement if violence is involved.

No disagreement there, but that's largely down to some people's perception and critical thinking (or lack thereof) and I think that some of that is on them.

As above, I think there's some parallels between this and the climate change movement - getting violent really isn't going to help, but then neither is wringing one's hands about the aforementioned violence. The Earth is going to keep changing due to human activity and black people in various parts of the US are going to be targetted unfairly by authority figures because of their skin colour.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

No disagreement there, but that's largely down to some people's perception and critical thinking (or lack thereof) and I think that some of that is on them.

As above, I think there's some parallels between this and the climate change movement - getting violent really isn't going to help, but then neither is wringing one's hands about the aforementioned violence. The Earth is going to keep changing due to human activity and black people in various parts of the US are going to be targetted unfairly by authority figures because of their skin colour.

It’s natural unless you’re already committed though, if something brings about violence or something unpleasant, to tar the whole thing as such.

Pretty sure that’s why a few on the left said they could never support brexit, because racists supported it. 

7 minutes ago, Strokes said:

It’s natural unless you’re already committed though, if something brings about violence or something unpleasant, to tar the whole thing as such.

Pretty sure that’s why a few on the left said they could never support brexit, because racists supported it. 

Oh yeah, it's a typical response, I'm just saying it lacks critical thinking and perhaps people should learn to do more of that for the sake of a better future (or much of a future at all). Except in the most dire of circumstances, we're more than our biological imperative, after all.

Imo thinking Brexit was a bad idea solely because racists wanted it is equally knee jerk. There are many more analytical reasons to think it's going to lead to dramatic uncertainty at best and a much more unstable world at worst, but that's a whole other discussion.

Edited by leicsmac

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Oh yeah, it's a typical response, I'm just saying it lacks critical thinking and perhaps people should learn to do more of that for the sake of a better future (or much of a future at all). Except in the most dire of circumstances, we're more than our biological imperative, after all.

Imo thinking Brexit was a bad idea solely because racists wanted it is equally knee jerk. There are many more analytical reasons to think it's going to lead to dramatic uncertainty at best and a much more unstable world at worst, but that's a whole other discussion.

Yeah it wasn’t a pop at you, just trying to draw comparisons from other areas.

I can personally live with the violence, it’s the timing that pisses me off. I don’t think it was necessary to protest in this country right now, and I do think it’s ironic that by doing so in the tail end of a pandemic, is actually disregarding health and subsequently lives.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

Yeah it wasn’t a pop at you, just trying to draw comparisons from other areas.

I can personally live with the violence, it’s the timing that pisses me off. I don’t think it was necessary to protest in this country right now, and I do think it’s ironic that by doing so in the tail end of a pandemic, is actually disregarding health and subsequently lives.

That's fair enough.

Speaking personally I put a post a couple of pages back where I said my feelings on the whole thing we're pretty mixed, apart from the part where things have got to change sooner rather than later with law enforcement and judicial procedure one way or another in the US - that's pretty damn clear.

3 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Bellend, I’ve seen one from Manchester saying defund all police.... you’ll have a job but they’ve got barely any ****ing funding anyway. 

Edited by Pliskin
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

The thing is, a good portion will be due-hard Momentum types who utterly detest the Tories. 

Yet just as the Tories seem to be losing popular support, they all march out in reaction to a foreign domestic case, instead of just funding or otherwise supporting it in the country of origin, and in doing so have took all eyes off the Tories, if not made them a not easier to sympathise with. 

The more they act like a bunch of dafties, the more they encourage swing losing confidence with the government to fall back in with them and the less likely it is for any bugger up to get media attention. They’re their own worst enemies and they’re too self-righteous to realise it. 

I think they like playing the white (or any other colour :ph34r:)knight a bit too much and secretly prefer the Tories in charge, so they can play this role more effectively.