Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

This is bloody ridiculous. 57 resign after 2 police officers needlessy shove an old guy to the floor, who smacks his head on the ground, and then don't offer assistance. The entire police system is pathetic.

I see why people are really upset by this but I do think this one is unfortunate.

I think 90% of the time that shove doesn't send the person to the floor and this isn't news. There is some poor decision making here and ultimately that is not what you want from Police officers but this is a world away from the actions that led to the death of George Floyd and many others.

Accountability is vital, but this culture of filming literally everything the police do and this hyper-intense analysis of every minute action isn't healthy. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

I see why people are really upset by this but I do think this one is unfortunate.

I think 90% of the time that shove doesn't send the person to the floor and this isn't news. There is some poor decision making here and ultimately that is not what you want from Police officers but this is a world away from the actions that led to the death of George Floyd and many others.

Accountability is vital, but this culture of filming literally everything the police do and this hyper-intense analysis of every minute action isn't healthy. 

I'd have given sympathy had they stopped to help, they've shoved him over and the blokes bleeding from the head. 

It's letting these type of actions go that leads to things we saw with George Floyd. There's no need to shove the old bloke, he's of no threat. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I'd have given sympathy had they stopped to help, they've shoved him over and the blokes bleeding from the head. 

It's letting these type of actions go that leads to things we saw with George Floyd. There's no need to shove the old bloke, he's of no threat. 

In a country where everyone has the right to bear arms, he could well be a threat.

Not to condone the cop's behaviour or resigning in solidarity of course. 

It just adds to the fact that they're an overwhelmingly violent culture which breeds paranoia, which breeds even more violence.

That old bloke video sort of sums it up for me. Yeah ordinarily that push doesn’t send some over but that’s the problem, a lot of US police officers can’t respond with appropriate force. A push on a frail looking old man isn’t necessary or appropriate, especially when it looks as if he’s trying to give them a police helmet.

Knowing the US police though you’d be mental to approach them at all in my opinion 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

In a country where everyone has the right to bear arms, he could well be a threat.

Not to condone the cop's behaviour or resigning in solidarity of course. 

It just adds to the fact that they're an overwhelmingly violent culture which breeds paranoia, which breeds even more violence.

1 minute ago, Stadt said:

That old bloke video sort of sums it up for me. Yeah ordinarily that push doesn’t send some over but that’s the problem, a lot of US police officers can’t respond with appropriate force. A push on a frail looking old man isn’t necessary or appropriate, especially when it looks as if he’s trying to give them a police helmet.

Knowing the US police though you’d be mental to approach them at all in my opinion 

This is the thing for me, as well.

There's no middle ground or cause for consideration who exactly they are confronting/being approached by. 

This is a guy that's 75 years old. Even not knowing the age, he's clearly elderly and not holding any kind of weapon or missile or thing that could hurt the police. In the police's mind, or instruction, it just seems to be 'attack under any circumstance'. 

And then of course it's the lack of remorse as they see an elderly man lying on the floor, bleeding.

Regarding the threat thing though. It wasn't that long ago at all several protestors stormed a senator's or governor's (?) office building outside, several of them bearing arms. Clearly they're more of a threat and they were treated with barely a fraction of the force that this elderly man or the protestors have been.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, StanSP said:

There's no middle ground or cause for consideration who exactly they are confronting/being approached by. 

This is a guy that's 75 years old. Even not knowing the age, he's clearly elderly and not holding any kind of weapon or missile or thing that could hurt the police. In the police's mind, or instruction, it just seems to be 'attack under any circumstance'. 

And then of course it's the lack of remorse as they see an elderly man lying on the floor, bleeding.

Regarding the threat thing though. It wasn't that long ago at all several protestors stormed a senator's or governor's (?) office building outside, several of them bearing arms. Clearly they're more of a threat and they were treated with barely a fraction of the force that this elderly man or the protestors have been.

But the President said the armed lockdown protesters were very good people and called the unarmed ones thugs, so who knows?

44 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Has anyone any on here, had any dealings with the US police?

I've never been to the USA, but i remember being told 50 years ago, that you didn't so much as look at them, let alone ask for directions.

And it didn't make any difference what your skin colour was.  You treated them as twitchy trigger-happy, and kept out of their way.

I just wondered if they still treat everone like sh*t?

5 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Has anyone any on here, had any dealings with the US police?

I've never been to the USA, but i remember being told 50 years ago, that you didn't so much as look at them, let alone ask for directions.

And it didn't make any difference what your skin colour was.  You treated them as twitchy trigger-happy, and kept out of their way.

I just wondered if they still treat everone like sh*t?

Yeah, I have, and I think there are other FTers who have been US-based too.

They have been perfectly polite to me when I have interacted with them, but I do think it is a matter of region, and, yes, what ethnicity you are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

This is bloody ridiculous. 57 resign after 2 police officers needlessy shove an old guy to the floor, who smacks his head on the ground, and then don't offer assistance. The entire police system is pathetic.

See below ....  

2 hours ago, ajthefox said:

Unfortunately what preceded this is affecting how events are viewed now ...   I agree with your view of it .... 

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

After he went down one officer stopped to try and help him but another moved him along and then appeared to call in what had happened ....  I would imagine that is what they are told to do ...

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

He is pushing his luck when he knows police are trying to move people away and tries to block them ..  and he didn’t look frail to me ...  

Overall, it is wrong but as usual the media is whipping it up ...  in one paper I read they said he was trying to get out the way and was hit with a baton ..  that isn’t what I saw ..  he got in the way on purpose and was pushed.

A very tragic incident and very wrong but let’s at least get the facts right.  

Hope he pulls through.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

4 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

See below ....  

Unfortunately what preceded this is affecting how events are viewed now ...   I agree with your view of it .... 

After he went down one officer stopped to try and help him but another moved him along and then appeared to call in what had happened ....  I would imagine that is what they are told to do ...

He is pushing his luck when he knows police are trying to move people away and tries to block them ..  and he didn’t look frail to me ...  

Overall, it is wrong but as usual the media is whipping it up ...  in one paper I read they said he was trying to get out the way and was hit with a baton ..  that isn’t what I saw ..  he got in the way on purpose and was pushed.

A very tragic incident and very wrong but let’s at least get the facts right.  

Hope he pulls through.

Stan sums this up pretty well. 

A 75yr old got in the way and was shoved out of the way, as Stan mentioned, all too many times we see wrong and inappropriate force.

Media whipping this up due to the timing of it all and the fact America is under a spotlight currently.

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

A  75yr   man got in the way and was shoved out of the way.

Media whipping this up due to the timing of it all and the fact America is under a spotlight currently.

Corrected ...  and yep that looks about it.   

Trouble is I now look like I am condoning it ..  which I’m not ..  but as I said let’s at least get the relevant facts right ..   

18 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Stan sums this up pretty well. 

A 75yr old got in the way and was shoved out of the way, as Stan mentioned, all too many times we see wrong and inappropriate force.

The 2 that are involved certainly show remorse straight away they both go towards him but are told to get in line, the officer closest to the camera you see wheel back and looks shaken up, the call goes into EMT straight away and the camera cuts off to quick to know if anyone from the back ranks actually kneels to aid him.

Agree with both you and Stan about timing, most other times it would go down as an unfortunate accident because it is/was it’s the guys age and the way he stumbles back it was almost like he was over reacting to a shove but then trips and falls without trying to protect himself ie turn or put hands down (The push and stumble reminds me of the Di Canio -Alcock incident) 

Due to what’s going on these officers will be made scapegoats for the wider issues in the system which is why those other officers have all stood down I guess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RowlattsFox said:

Why does there seem to be no PPE being used by the police here? Haven't on any of the pictures and videos I've seen. 

Cus they keep 2 metres away ...  and if anyone gets closer than that they shove em out the way ..   :thumbup:

I’m at the point now, where I think they should roll the fire engines, then blast the protesters being antagonistic and vandalising things with cold water.

Horrible footage. Police officer collides with the traffic light but the poor horse has no idea what's going on. Animals attacking horses. This shouldn't be happening.

“Black lives matter” seems to be getting lost on certain members of the public. There is both a literal and metaphorical meaning to the statement. Whether some people care to acknowledge it or not, there is a clear ethnic imbalance in the UK. Whereas we are no where near as bad as the USA there is still a lot more we can do. Failure to recognise our own involvement in acts of oppression against other ethnic groups is quite embarrassing.... how many of our children have been taught about “the scramble of Africa” or the “partition of India”, we are fantastic at celebrating our successes, but rarely if ever do we talk of our own failures on humanity. 

I was having a discussion with my gran once (who is by her own admission is prejudice) she told me that she had a black maid in the 50’s working in the house..... in the 50’s..... this is the very reason why black lives matter is so important, it is 2020 not 1820 anymore, racism still exists both brutally and subtly. We need to educate our children properly, we need to ensure that all the different cultures within our country aren’t being failed. 

Im quite proud to live in such a diverse city, it means exposure to more cultures, some cultures I may never get so experience travelling, it makes for more vibrant community, a more educated community and arguably stronger community. 

Football is a great example, it takes all sorts to make a great team, people from different backgrounds bring different ideas, skills and experiences, each of those skills lend themselves for a stronger community bond.

History has shown us that more often that not it relies on the people to force change, rather than wait for “leaders” to make it. 

• Like 4

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/06/us/buffalo-police-officers-plead-not-guilty-old-man/index.html

The two officers have been charged. 

The fact that the prosecutor admits he could have changed them earlier but didn't out of fear that no police officers would turn up to work speaks volumes.

Seems very politically motivated to me, which is very dangerous territory.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

“Black lives matter” seems to be getting lost on certain members of the public. There is both a literal and metaphorical meaning to the statement. Whether some people care to acknowledge it or not, there is a clear ethnic imbalance in the UK. Whereas we are no where near as bad as the USA there is still a lot more we can do. Failure to recognise our own involvement in acts of oppression against other ethnic groups is quite embarrassing.... how many of our children have been taught about “the scramble of Africa” or the “partition of India”, we are fantastic at celebrating our successes, but rarely if ever do we talk of our own failures on humanity. 

I was having a discussion with my gran once (who is by her own admission is prejudice) she told me that she had a black maid in the 50’s working in the house..... in the 50’s..... this is the very reason why black lives matter is so important, it is 2020 not 1820 anymore, racism still exists both brutally and subtly. We need to educate our children properly, we need to ensure that all the different cultures within our country aren’t being failed. 

Im quite proud to live in such a diverse city, it means exposure to more cultures, some cultures I may never get so experience travelling, it makes for more vibrant community, a more educated community and arguably stronger community. 

Football is a great example, it takes all sorts to make a great team, people from different backgrounds bring different ideas, skills and experiences, each of those skills lend themselves for a stronger community bond.

History has shown us that more often that not it relies on the people to force change, rather than wait for “leaders” to make it. 

What's that got to do with anyone alive today? All the marches in the world aren't going to change the past.

• Like 1