Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

7 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

The thing is, a good portion will be due-hard Momentum types who utterly detest the Tories. 

Yet just as the Tories seem to be losing popular support, they all march out in reaction to a foreign domestic case, instead of just funding or otherwise supporting it in the country of origin, and in doing so have took all eyes off the Tories, if not made them a not easier to sympathise with. 

The more they act like a bunch of dafties, the more they encourage swing losing confidence with the government to fall back in with them and the less likely it is for any bugger up to get media attention. They’re their own worst enemies and they’re too self-righteous to realise it. 

These people don’t ever want Labour to be in power though. Their politics is based solely around protest and division. Tories in power means that theyll always have something to protest. Perhaps even a Starmer led labour in power wouldn’t be good enough for them. The party should really distance themselves from these mugs ASAP. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Yeah, don’t get me wrong. I completely support what’s going on in the States. It’s not like the authorities are taking covid seriously anyway. I’d prefer it without mass violence of course but I get it.

Here it’s unnecessary at this moment in time and it goes against what most of us have worked hard to achieve in the past 10 weeks.

Totally agree mate. 

Trump made his mind up ages ago, it’s not like protesting over there is far removed from government policy. And it’s still raw and very relevant over there. 

We’re still trying to keep lockdown over here, even if it’s de-escalating. Far too early for this and like you said, it’s months of effort for nought if we’re too early. 

9 hours ago, nnfox said:

But I don't think in this case there is any closing of ranks to protect corrupt and criminal officers.  Honestly, I believe they are dismayed that two of their colleagues have been put in this situation through doing their job in a way that most of their colleagues would have acted.  The truth is, any single one of those officers could be on the receiving end of their treatment.

Politicians might be able to have some sway in policing at a strategic level through policy and funding, but they must stay out of operational matters.  And that includes applying pressure to disregard the rule of law and scapegoat two officers to appease the will of a section of society.  This is not a step forward, it's a big jump backwards.

For argument's sake let's say the 2 police were entirely justified to shove an old man to the floor, the fact that the rest of their unit are so quick to take drastic measures to defend them is exactly the problem when you don't see the same kind of response to corruption within their ranks, I'm only aware of one policeman quitting in solidarity with abused citizens during all this.  It just reinforces the idea that American police consider themselves above their own laws.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Totally agree mate. 

Trump made his mind up ages ago, it’s not like protesting over there is far removed from government policy. And it’s still raw and very relevant over there. 

We’re still trying to keep lockdown over here, even if it’s de-escalating. Far too early for this and like you said, it’s months of effort for nought if we’re too early. 

The worst thing is, it’s a very easy spin for Britain first groups and the likes if we now do hit a second wave :nono:

I know we all argue left and right politics in here but it’s good to see most of us agree on this subject.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tuna said:

It was then chucked in the harbour.

Ah yes another leftist mob judging historical figures to today's standards. Such a good advert for state schooling and universities. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

For argument's sake let's say the 2 police were entirely justified to shove an old man to the floor, the fact that the rest of their unit are so quick to take drastic measures to defend them is exactly the problem when you don't see the same kind of response to corruption within their ranks, I'm only aware of one policeman quitting in solidarity with abused citizens during all this.  It just reinforces the idea that American police consider themselves above their own laws.

But the cops haven't quit their job, they've just said that they aren't going to do the riot control stuff.  They go back to their regular jobs in whatever unit they do their regular work. 

Their issue, as I understand it is that they are upset about their colleagues being thrown under the bus on the say so of a politician trying to score points without due process being followed.

They don't want to do riot control because they are worried that at any point they could get into an encounter, do what they are trained and expected to do, and find themselves suspended without pay and facing 7 years in prison.

20 minutes ago, Strokes said:

The worst thing is, it’s a very easy spin for Britain first groups and the likes if we now do hit a second wave :nono:

I know we all argue left and right politics in here but it’s good to see most of us agree on this subject.

That’s the sad thing, any other time I’d appreciate the concept but this is one of the very few times I feel “now’s not the time” is valid. As you said, it’s now malevolent groups can target this and use it to spin on innocent communities let down by groups who don’t have their best interests at heart. 

I think it’s safe to say everyone on this board, whilst having a difference of opinion on how to achieve it, want the best for the country, especially in the current climate. I might be more hot on the government’s (and it’s advisers’) failings but there’s been Tory backbencher, Labour MPs, and in this case elements of the public who have took to thinking they themselves were above the restrictions and let us all down, and left or right we should hold them all accountable.

• Like 1

What a year.

If it some of their plans is to pull down statues, which I imagine is a statement. Are they then going to pull the rest of Bristol down? And then London, Liverpool and Glasgow? All of which were build on slave trade money? 

Edited by Pliskin

29 minutes ago, Walkers said:

I see a lot of people on social media saying when the 2nd wave comes, don't blame the protestors. Blame those having secret raves with friends etc.etc.

I ****ing well will thank you very much, along with everybody else that can't follow simple rules and common sense.

It’s crazy, also people saying ‘well you didn’t mind it when the beaches were overrun’ - no, you’re all cvnts if you’re breaking the rules!

Its like saying the kitchen is on fire but don’t blame us for pouring petrol over the rest of the house... you’re adding to the problem majorly and if you can’t take responsibility for that or even acknowledge that you are... you’re a cvnt

You’re all being very calm about theses mass protests and civil unrest ...   we are right in the middle of a worldwide pandemic !! ...  we are all meant to be social distancing ...  protecting the NHS ..  you know the ones we all clap every week...   protecting ourselves and our families ...  trying to stop a second wave and more deaths ...  and stopping so many more businesses going down the pan and our economy with it.   Yes things needs to change in America ..  but just ignoring what we are going through here  !!!   Stupid fvckin tw@ts !!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

It’s crazy, also people saying ‘well you didn’t mind it when the beaches were overrun’ - no, you’re all cvnts if you’re breaking the rules!

Its like saying the kitchen is on fire but don’t blame us for pouring petrol over the rest of the house... you’re adding to the problem majorly and if you can’t take responsibility for that or even acknowledge that you are... you’re a cvnt

I dont disagree with the protests if socially distancing but from the aerial shots of the beaches last weekend and protests this weekend, the vast majority of one where socially distancing to be fair and it wasnt the protesters....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

There’s some bloke fro Bristol  on the news saying yes I know we are in the middle of a pandemic but this man was a slave trader ....   my head is about to fvckin explode !!!!!

It's obviously a bad time for protests and what not, but the fact that there's a statue existing which celebrates this gentleman is unnecessary. I'd rather it be removed in a more peaceful manner however it sounds like they've tried that for years. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, SMX11 said:

Ah yes another leftist mob judging historical figures to today's standards. Such a good advert for state schooling and universities. 

I don't think that's the issue. There are strong arguments for it to be replaced but tearing it down like that is ridiculous and again totally counter-productive.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

There’s some bloke fro Bristol  on the news saying yes I know we are in the middle of a pandemic but this man was a slave trader ....   my head is about to fvckin explode !!!!!

A slave trader shouldn't have a statue nowadays though. I'd rather it be done safely, mind, and dispersed of by the Council instead of being dumped in the Severn.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lionator said:

It's obviously a bad time for protests and what not, but the fact that there's a statue existing which celebrates this gentleman is unnecessary. I'd rather it be removed in a more peaceful manner however it sounds like they've tried that for years. 

Like I said ...   protect the NHS ..   protect lives ...   unless we really need to pull a statue down right now ...   of a slave trader who was around 300 years ago.   I honestly just don’t get it. 

The statue issue should have been decided by a simple referendum by the people of Bristol rather than a frothing mob. So I hope they put the statue back complete with a nice union flag and holding a banner saying fvck you willy pullers. 

• Like 1

What is the aim of the protests? Actual specific targets and aims of the protests I mean.

I find the UK protests very odd. Surely the aim of people outside the US is to show solidarity. I don't see why this has to be done this way.

Interested to hear the reasoning for the mass gatherings outside of America as I can't quite work it out myself.

15 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

A slave trader shouldn't have a statue nowadays though. I'd rather it be done safely, mind, and dispersed of by the Council instead of being dumped in the Severn.

We've got Prince Philip in Buckingham Palace. The bloke is horrendously racist. Starts at the top. 

1 minute ago, Swan Lesta said:

I would think that as Black people, walking past a monument to the slave trade each day would feel wrong. It’d make me angry and I’m white!

Im not suggesting that every slave trade related structure will be given such treatment - after all, our country was sadly built on it, but there’s certainly a need for a representation of more balance in the history available to us as a people to celebrate - monuments included.

We have amazing figure heads from UK communities to have monuments of - they include women and people from ethnic minority groups... Not many of them though... Be nice if girls and kids from ethnic minority backgrounds in 50 years time could learn about history and their positive historical contributions to it. Where are the statues of positive black icons - black kids need black role models and positive representation.

The time for marking the achievements of white men who built their world at the time on the death and misery of other humans is over. That’s a good thing.

The time is not right now though, in the middle of the pandemic, when most of us are practicing social distancing so we can try and get back to some degree of normality without more people dying needlessly or losing jobs unnecessarily. 

Where does it end? 

• Like 1