Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

In the last 10 years there have been 163 deaths in custody in this country(police not prisons).

13 of these were black people and 10 from other ethnic minorities. 
I have no figures for how many deaths from ‘black on black’ crime there have been in this period. Gang related killings in particular (guns and knives), are a significant problem in black communities. During this time of heightened awareness into black lives matter it would be an ideal time to tackle these issues in terms of funding and action.

19 minutes ago, the fox said:

What are the English public doing? England is struggling with a pandemic and the government is letting people out.

If the government tried to stop the protests it would be even worst. Inevitably a black person would get injured, and the situation would escalate into nationwide carnage. They cannot win here.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Milo said:

Am I being a bit thick? Or are we not allowed to say how stupid this is, for fear of being labelled something vile. 

People losing their shit over Cummings last week are ok with this???

image.jpeg

It is ludicrous. 

7 minutes ago, Milo said:

Am I being a bit thick? Or are we not allowed to say how stupid this is, for fear of being labelled something vile. 

image.jpeg

It was a joke when Cummings admitted breaking lockdown and Johnson defended him but all these protests (and in London’s case, riots) confirm it.

Minds well fill Anfield for when they lift the title. 

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

It was a joke when Cummings admitted breaking lockdown and Johnson defended him but all these protests (and in London’s case, riots) confirm it.

Minds well fill Anfield for when they lift the title. 

Wait for the press outrage if football fans gather in numbers. Football supporters are sub human scum and an easy target. Black lives matter protesters are the left wing media’s darlings. Untouchable.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TamworthFoxes said:

Wait for the press outrage if football fans gather in numbers. Football supporters are sub human scum and an easy target. Black lives matter protesters are the left wing media’s darlings. Untouchable.

lol Ffs are you trying to equate people protesting for equality with football fans?

That being said, I think anyone who is out protesting in huge group at the moment is a twat too. No excuse for it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TamworthFoxes said:

You okay? 

Are you tarring all who are protesting (in the right way) with the same brush as those causing trouble? 

Like, if football fans act like idiots are you fine with being labelled as sub human scum even though you might have done nothing wrong? 

34 minutes ago, Milo said:

image.jpeg

Madness!

I think it was stupid for a high-profile Govt adviser to get away with flouting lockdown rules AND it's stupid for people to be crammed together protesting like this - some, though not all of them just virtue-signalling, too.

I suppose there are some left-wing idiots who thought Cummings was terrible, but think this is OK....

And some right-wing idiots who thought Cummings was OK, but this is terrible.....

And some libertarian idiots who thought Cummings was OK and this is OK..... :rolleyes:

I'd hope those people are a small minority, though, even if they're vocal or even say vile things on Twitter.

Hopefully won''t happen, but I'm certainly concerned that we're going to end up with Covid19 infections & deaths either plateauing at the current level or rising again.

If so, our record could look not just worse than most in Europe but a lot worse - and we could end up facing much greater health risk and/or economic damage/disruption and/or more personal tragedies than necessary.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Hopefully won''t happen, but I'm certainly concerned that we're going to end up with Covid19 infections & deaths either plateauing at the current level or rising again.

If so, our record could look not just worse than most in Europe but a lot worse - and we could end up facing much greater health risk and/or economic damage/disruption and/or more personal tragedies than necessary.

Chris Whitty must be having kittens looking at the pictures of today.

Imagine the scenes when he advises Boris that we’re now back at threat level 5 and he needs to tell the nation to go back to the lockdown measures from a couple of weeks ago.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Madness!

I think it was stupid for a high-profile Govt adviser to get away with flouting lockdown rules AND it's stupid for people to be crammed together protesting like this - some, though not all of them just virtue-signalling, too.

I suppose there are some left-wing idiots who thought Cummings was terrible, but think this is OK....

And some right-wing idiots who thought Cummings was OK, but this is terrible.....

And some libertarian idiots who thought Cummings was OK and this is OK..... :rolleyes:

I'd hope those people are a small minority, though, even if they're vocal or even say vile things on Twitter.

Agree with all the above - actually didn't mean to wrap it up in the Cummings thing. Just re-read what I wrote and it looks like I was poking the anti-Cummings lot - which wasn't the intention. (fwiw, I think the guy is a twat)

I just meant that the outrage of last week surely has to be multiplied by x thousand for this complete lunacy at a time like this. However important the cause is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I get the protests in America, they’ve pretty much fvcked off the idea of lockdown as a whole so why not and it had valid domestic implications. 

As for here, why I do actually see the value in protesting in solidarity for other country’s domestic issues (although I’m not a marcher myself) we did actually have some semblance of lockdown still in place. Very fvcking stupid and Gardiner is a bellend for getting involved as well. Lucky he’s not in a shadow position because I’d hoped he’d get sacked off the back of that. 

Between VE Day, the parks and beaches edict, Cummings and now this, the lockdown is well and truly fvcked. Hopefully my feeling is right that the virus is getting less and less lethal as it goes on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Milo said:

image.jpeg

That's outrageous. I wonder how many of the people in the crowd criticised the government's approach, retweeted Dominic Cummings stuff and said things like "how can you care about our key workers who are risking their lives while you go out to meet a friend?" My guess is 99% of them. 

Edited by Benguin
Typo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

You okay? 

Are you tarring all who are protesting (in the right way) with the same brush as those causing trouble? 

Like, if football fans act like idiots are you fine with being labelled as sub human scum even though you might have done nothing wrong? 

He is talking about mass gatherings not causing trouble, you can support or agree with the cause and not agree with the methodology or timing of it.

Given how the virus has affected BAME people more, I’d of thought the best way to protect black lives would be to stay the **** away from this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, nnfox said:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/06/us/buffalo-police-officers-plead-not-guilty-old-man/index.html

The two officers have been charged. 

The fact that the prosecutor admits he could have changed them earlier but didn't out of fear that no police officers would turn up to work speaks volumes.

Seems very politically motivated to me, which is very dangerous territory.

The thing that is politically motivated is the police closing ranks in order to protect the corrupt and criminally responsible (regardless of intent) individuals within them and making the prosecutor afraid of holding them accountable in the first place. 

If bringing forward prosecutions even in the face of all that is dangerous, then frankly bring on the danger. It's the right thing to do.

Regarding the protests (specifically those in the UK and other parts of the world as opposed to those in the US):

Like other people, I can't say I'm entirely at ease with them given that mass gatherings in that way still carry a pretty massive risk of trouble and as such the timing is frankly piss poor. From most perspectives, it seems that the risks really outweigh the benefits. However, to give a little more insight into the why (and allow me to preface that these are arguments that I am presenting and presenting only and I'm honestly not sure if I agree with them or not)...

- Systemic racism arising from "authority figures" in the US and in other places in the Anglosphere (though nowhere is quite as pronounced as the US) could be responsible for more death and suffering than Covid could ever be and as such they are going after the "greater threat". Very much conjectural, though.

- Protests across the world (as opposed to only the US) highlighting the problems within the US might put additional international pressure on key figures within the US and perhaps help with some change.

- Almost all avenues of more sedate and peaceful action have already been tried and have been self-evidently unsuccessful (look at the mockery Kaepernick got and how much change that led to).

- Timing is shite but the iron is hot given the key case of George Floyd and the sentiment is that if action isn't taken now people will lose interest quickly.

Perhaps all of that is pretty tenuous - as I said above, I honestly don't know. But this didn't just spring up out of nowhere and there are reasons behind the way it is happening, tenuous or not.

NB. Defacing statues and whatnot is daft but let's not use that as an excuse to delegitimise the entire thing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Aaaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhh!

I'm not talking about racism on white people, I'm talking about everyone! How am I saying that the treatment of George Floyd was not an injustice?

What I'm saying is that the day before that happened, millions of people didn't give a damn about Kurds in Syria, or Rohingyans in Myanmar, or many other tragedies occuring around the world, yet the next day they're up in arms because it was "one of us".

We'll get this. Until we collectively, as a HUMAN RACE, realise that all humans are "one of us", this will go round and round and round and round. It will never stop.

I'm not sure how this makes me an apologist for the Minneapolis PD, just because I'm looking at the big picture.

it’s ok to look at the bigger picture, but this IS a culturally diverse planet we live on and it’s ok for someone to have an identity that’s different to you... it’s also ok for them to object when their is a very specific grievance they feel attacks them personally. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MPH said:

it’s ok to look at the bigger picture, but this IS a culturally diverse planet we live on and it’s ok for someone to have an identity that’s different to you... it’s also ok for them to object when their is a very specific grievance they feel attacks them personally. 

I think this is the thing some people might not be getting.

This isn't really about general garden-variety racism that exists in all walks of life, this is about racism being exhibited by authority figures that goes against the entire ethos of what they are supposed to represent - because the very idea of an authority that can help and deliver justice to people when other solutions have failed is predicated on the idea that such a system will treat all humans equally. It is self-evident that it is not doing so.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gordon the Great said:

These Scum won`t know who Churchill was!.........It`s time Officers started " Taking the knee"....Zulu style would fit the bill.

Not entirely sure the implication that protestors are somehow "savages" (to say nothing of the connotations that word has anyway) and the police should gun them all down Michael Caine redcoat style does much to help the current situation tbh. And yes, that implication is obvious here.

If one approaches the whole thing with a modicum of nuance, Churchill was a imperialist martinet and a believer in both empire-building and racial superiority (one being based on the other), but then so were a great deal of other influential people at the time. He was also exactly the leader the UK needed in order to confront and defeat one of the greatest human threats to life and liberty that this world has ever known.

Perhaps this a little golden mean fallacy, but neither completely deifying nor demonising the guy is correct, and as a last observation I'd posit that if he were still alive in this day and age he'd say the decisions he made and the deaths he overlooked were in the name of people being free - including the freedom to be dicks in the way those people who defaced his statue were.

• Like 2