Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

37 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Yes it will definitely rise. 5000 redundancies at my place by the end of the year have already been announced. 

A lot of businesses will use this pandemic as a cover for restructuring and redundancies they would like to have done before but were wary of the response. The same happened during the 3 day week where we ended up with a load of redundancies even though we actually ended up working longer hours.  Like wise a change in currency, decimalisation and undoubtedly Brexit will act as cover to raise prices.

Of course there will be genuine reasons for many.

I worked for a business that was taken over or sold 5 times over a ten year period and each time the new management introduced changes and redundancies at the end of it all we were less productive and less profitable than we were when it all started  but the departing managers all moved on to better higher position roles plus money was made by those in the buying and selling..

Yes I'm a natural cynic born from experience:o

• Like 2

Doesn't sound like good news: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/16/india-says-soldiers-killed-on-disputed-himalayan-border-with-china

Hope this doesn't escalate....

"Three members of India’s armed forces have been killed in a “violent face-off” with Chinese soldiers on their disputed Himalayan border, the Indian army has said in a statement.

The deaths are the first loss of life in the border area in at least 45 years, and come amid a renewed dispute between the two countries in recent weeks. Indian and Chinese soldiers, who often do not carry weapons in the area to avoid escalating conflicts, have brawled, detained each other and deployed forces and equipment in the western Himalayas in recent weeks".

8 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Doesn't sound like good news: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/16/india-says-soldiers-killed-on-disputed-himalayan-border-with-china

Hope this doesn't escalate....

"Three members of India’s armed forces have been killed in a “violent face-off” with Chinese soldiers on their disputed Himalayan border, the Indian army has said in a statement.

The deaths are the first loss of life in the border area in at least 45 years, and come amid a renewed dispute between the two countries in recent weeks. Indian and Chinese soldiers, who often do not carry weapons in the area to avoid escalating conflicts, have brawled, detained each other and deployed forces and equipment in the western Himalayas in recent weeks".

There's a good section on this border debate in Tim Marshall's Prisoners of Geography. It argues that China would gain very little given the sheer terrain of the Himalayas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of Marcus Rashford's heartfelt tweets this morning:

Therese Coffey's reply:

This is the same woman who cites Thatcher as her hero, backed bedroom tax in favour of cutting benefits for the disabled and universal credit and was also an opponent of same-sex marriage.

What a nice person. Totally not a tone-deaf, apathetic and and totally not representative of the collective personalities of Johnson's cabinet at all. 

Edited by RoboFox

2 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

One of Marcus Rashford's heartfelt tweets this morning:

Therese Coffey's reply:

This is the same woman who cites Thatcher as her hero, backed bedroom tax in favour of cutting benefits for the disabled and universal credit and was also an opponent of same-sex marriage.

What a nice woman. 

What exactly has she said wrong here though?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Strokes said:

It’s being perceived as a bit tone deaf I believe 

Also, another MP admitted whilst it’s not supposed to happen, it is something that still occurs.

Edited by Finnaldo

2 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

It’s being perceived as a bit tone deaf I believe 

Also, another MP admitted whilst it’s not supposed to happen, it is nothing that occurs.

So you’re saying it does happen? Do we have evidence?

Just now, Strokes said:

It may not happen where water can be cut off directly, but they can send bailiffs and order court appearances/fines due to non-payment. 

Just now, Strokes said:

No not personally, there was a Tory MP on BBC News this morning who was asked about it who was defending the tweet but also said “although it’s not supposed to happen, it’s something we know unfortunately still occurs” or along that lines. I’m just going off that.

Farmers are calling for customers' number plates to be printed on takeaway bags as they are sick of motorists throwing litter out of car windows into their fields.

They argue that they have to spend a significant amount of time every day removing litter from their land that has been thrown from car windows.

These takeaway wrappers are dangerous to livestock, as they can be ingested and cause medical problems, and also pose a threat to wildlife as well as making the countryside look untidy.

"On our farm we are picking up litter like that every day, it isn't even a main road.

"It's very dangerous, cattle in particular will eat anything.We are lucky we haven't had any incidents on our farm but there frequently are cases of cattle ingesting things they shouldn't be."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/11/21/farmers-call-customers-number-plates-printed-takeaway-bags-help/?fbclid=IwAR0JcCB3KSU-1LQJCw-Gp7kvxGCSFTo9xj3Wn9bnpKAdFvl5GkfvXXkzl3I

Something needs to be done I'm not sure this would be practical or practicable, education and ads don't seem to work.

Frustrating when you see people even chucking take away packaging out of their cars whilst driving.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

Farmers are calling for customers' number plates to be printed on takeaway bags as they are sick of motorists throwing litter out of car windows into their fields.

They argue that they have to spend a significant amount of time every day removing litter from their land that has been thrown from car windows.

These takeaway wrappers are dangerous to livestock, as they can be ingested and cause medical problems, and also pose a threat to wildlife as well as making the countryside look untidy.

"On our farm we are picking up litter like that every day, it isn't even a main road.

"It's very dangerous, cattle in particular will eat anything.We are lucky we haven't had any incidents on our farm but there frequently are cases of cattle ingesting things they shouldn't be."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/11/21/farmers-call-customers-number-plates-printed-takeaway-bags-help/?fbclid=IwAR0JcCB3KSU-1LQJCw-Gp7kvxGCSFTo9xj3Wn9bnpKAdFvl5GkfvXXkzl3I

Something needs to be done I'm not sure this would be practical or practicable, education and ads don't seem to work.

Frustrating when you see people even chucking take away packaging out of their cars whilst driving.

Have you seen the roundabout at junction 21?. It's disgusting down there and often peoples first impression of Leicester. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I know yourself and a couple of other posters on here feel like you're fighting the good fight against the onslaught of raving lefties here on FT, but surely even you can see why this could be perceived as utterly lacking in empathy? 

4 minutes ago, davieG said:

Really hate this. Absolutely no need for it at all. Only way you're gonna solve it is to make the punishment something ridiculous. Caught on camera littering from your car? We're gonna crush it, sell it as scrap and use the money to fund litter pickers. **** em. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jonthefox said:

Have you seen the roundabout at junction 21?. It's disgusting down there and often peoples first impression of Leicester. 

It's everywhere, even when I go for a walk across the fields there's always some rubbish lying around. I even saw 2 poo scoop bags lying on the grass a couple of metres away from from a dog bin. The number of poo bags you see hanging from trees unbelievable!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Its mustard mate :P 

I don't wish to act the tartar, to offer a peppery or vinegary reply or to a-salt your opinion, Suzie.

Dijon is indeed mustard if you're making a mint and have the bread to be saucy. It has everything to satisfy a gentleman's relish and the sun to turn white to brown while you're stuffing yourself.

But would you not prefer dressing for a thousand islands, a salsa or a hollandaise adventure? If you're in a pickle, a week in Worcestershire or Mayo might be fun. Ketchup with you later. :thumbup:

(Sorry. Ages since I've indulged in a mass-pun, in my defence.....)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

I don't wish to act the tartar, to offer a peppery or vinegary reply or to a-salt your opinion, Suzie.

Dijon is indeed mustard if you're making a mint and have the bread to be saucy. It has everything to satisfy a gentleman's relish and the sun to turn white to brown while you're stuffing yourself.

But would you not prefer dressing for a thousand islands, a salsa or a hollandaise adventure? If you're in a pickle, a week in Worcestershire or Mayo might be fun. Ketchup with you later. :thumbup:

(Sorry. Ages since I've indulged in a mass-pun, in my defence.....)

Is that saucy enough?