Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

"Little by little we're seeing change. It was natural, it was organic. We saw the teams do it in the earlier kick-off and thought it was something we had to do as well."

Sterling talking about players kneeling. Natural but we did it because they did it. Aight. 

All I can say is thank god we're copying that nfl player and not the people protesting the death of Harambe. lol

19 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

Go on the internet, Google it, it has been scientifically proven.

The oldest pictures of Jesus, he was brown.

It is quite likely he was olive skinned; nothing has been scientifically proven. It is still a question of debate.

Pictures - no photographs or paintings from year 0, so the oldest pictures are not gospel (no pun intended!).

2 hours ago, oxford blue said:

It is quite likely he was olive skinned; nothing has been scientifically proven. It is still a question of debate.

Pictures - no photographs or paintings from year 0, so the oldest pictures are not gospel (no pun intended!).

That's only one study, based on exevating bones, and they said olive based on middle Eastern Jewish colour.  My wife is olive in colour, in the Punjab they would call her white, however in the UK she would be brown

Majority consensus is he was brown, attached is what forensic scientist believed he looked like.

https://www.vancouver.anglican.ca/blog/jesus-isnt-white-and-why-we-should-care

8 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

That's only one study, based on exevating bones, and they said olive based on middle Eastern Jewish colour.  My wife is olive in colour, in the Punjab they would call her white, however in the UK she would be brown

Majority consensus is he was brown, attached is what forensic scientist believed he looked like.

https://www.vancouver.anglican.ca/blog/jesus-isnt-white-and-why-we-should-care

Looking at that you can see why he was crucified I bet Barabbas was a bit of a looker in comparison. :P:ph34r:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Captain... said:

The fact he has no idea where the taking the knee comes from and thinks it's from Game of Thrones is just mind-blowing. I understand some people not understanding it, but he is in one of the most important positions in the cabinet, the man holding the reigns when Boris was ill. We are in the middle of the most widespread movement for racial justice and equality ever seen and he can't even be bothered to read up on it's background.

Maybe he just genuinely has no idea because it started in wake of an incident that occurred over 4000 miles away in a country with different politics to our own.

Edited by josh_baskin
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Captain... said:

It's literally his job to know this stuff. He's the foreign secretary and it's headline news and has been making headlines in the USA for years. 

I don't follow the NFL and I only have a passing interest in US politics yet I've come across numerous headlines,  articles and comments on the subject without ever actively seeking them out. It's not been a low profile gesture originating in some obscure country, this is our great ally with our special relationship. Trump has tweeted about it numerous times, you'd think as foreign secretary he would have an interest in Trump's views and the political mood in the US.

It's not even confined to the US any more. People have been doing it throughout the BLM demonstrations in this country. He should be following all of this very closely because his job is to know about this stuff.

I thought going down on one knee was just for when the USA Anthem was played, I admit I was surprised to see the footballer use it how they did or have I missed something?

28 minutes ago, davieG said:

I thought going down on one knee was just for when the USA Anthem was played, I admit I was surprised to see the footballer use it how they did or have I missed something?

Former San Francisco 49ers QB Colin Kapernick first did it to stand in solidarity with BLM in 2016. There was a massive fallout in the NFL and in the USA in general from it and eventually the NFL paid out a grievance claim (IIRC it's rumoured to be a 7 figure sum) he made against them as he lost his job and not a single team gave him a contract despite his obvious talent.

Edited by ajthefox

27 minutes ago, davieG said:

That's where it originated, as a respectful way to not stand for the anthem. Kapernick originally sat out the anthem but decided it was too disrespectful so took a knee to show respect but to highlight that something was wrong. It then evolved into a symbol of the BLM movement, with police taking the knee in solidarity with demonstrators.

It has nothing to do with game of thrones.

54 minutes ago, josh_baskin said:

Maybe he just genuinely has no idea because it started in wake of an incident that occurred over 4000 miles away in a country with different politics to our own.

lol terrible excuse.

1 hour ago, ajthefox said:

Former San Francisco 49ers QB Colin Kapernick first did it to stand in solidarity with BLM in 2016. There was a massive fallout in the NFL and in the USA in general from it and eventually the NFL paid out a grievance claim (IIRC it's rumoured to be a 7 figure sum) he made against them as he lost his job and not a single team gave him a contract despite his obvious talent.

Plus the coverage when some of the female American footballers did it too. 

As said elsewhere for a Foreign Secretary not to recognise all this is pretty head scratching (even more so given Trump’s very public opinions on the Kapernick knee) 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

2 hours ago, ajthefox said:

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

That's where it originated, as a respectful way to not stand for the anthem. Kapernick originally sat out the anthem but decided it was too disrespectful so took a knee to show respect but to highlight that something was wrong. It then evolved into a symbol of the BLM movement, with police taking the knee in solidarity with demonstrators.

It has nothing to do with game of thrones.

Yes I'm Well aware of the Kapernick origination and therefore thought that was significant aspect of it. So many symbols now what with the raised black gloved fist from the '68 Olympics seems to dilute the impact.

Oh well what will be will be I guess if they think it will have an impact that's all that matters.

22 minutes ago, josh_baskin said:

I'm going to be honest, mon ami, considering the source used there it might be best to wait until there is more on this before getting sufficiently annoyed about it.

I mean, it did start out as a song about the slave trade/Underground Railroad, but that shouldn't mean it can't be used in other cultural circumstances too. Best to wait and see, I would think.

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I'm going to be honest, mon ami, considering the source used there it might be best to wait until there is more on this before getting sufficiently annoyed about it.

I mean, it did start out as a song about the slave trade/Underground Railroad, but that shouldn't mean it can't be used in other cultural circumstances too. Best to wait and see, I would think.

It’s always been an offensive song. Lots of people I know have been pissed off about if for 30 odd years. Not so many black England rugby fans attending matches either as a result. It’s also been commented on by black players over the years.

We are being asked to listen and understand - we know racism is not always about intent alone in the use of language - sometimes it’s the actual thing itself being born out of the links.

We are being asked to consider giving up a bit of white privilege and some are going to spit their dummies out if asked not to sing a song?

Wow.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

It’s always been an offensive song. Lots of people I know have been pissed off about if for 30 odd years. Not so many black England rugby fans attending matches either as a result. It’s also been commented on by black players over the years.

We are being asked to listen and understand - we know racism is not always about intent alone in the use of language - sometimes it’s the actual thing itself being born out of the links.

We are being asked to consider giving up a bit of white privilege and some are going to spit their dummies out if asked not to sing a song?

Wow.

People always push back against change, especially if its change to a behaviour they are familiar, used to, and forms part of an enjoyable personal/group activity.

• Like 1