Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

2 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

Subverting democracy? The only similarity I really see is the disdain for the poor. By our standards Biden would be center right. So actually the Tories are more similar to the democrats than Trump.

He isn't talking about policy. Read the bloody tweet before you comment. He's talking about the culture of mistrust, the false news, they lies, and the division thats caused.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

"Whilst they aren't as bad, the current UK government has similar traits"

Don't see an issue with that. He saying they aren't on the same level but they show similar behaviour.

There are elements of the Tory party that really admire Trump and the movement.

Jenrick used tax payers money to fly to trumps inauguration and Ben Bradley is very much of the same ilk.

3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

He isn't talking about policy. Read the bloody tweet before you comment. He's talking about the culture of mistrust, the false news, they lies, and the division thats caused.

False news? The day the Tories spread anything near Q anon and attempt a siege near Parliament is the day I will agree. Division is standard in the west post 2008 financial crash. I have never in my life met someone who trusts the government. So that isn't new.

Edited by Fightforever
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Let's not forget the Tories' decision to change the name of their official Twitter account to 'Fact Check UK' during a pre-election debate in 2019 or the recent edict from Wellingborough Conservatives that campaigners should embrace fake news.

Embracing tactics like that doesn't start with mobs being incited to commit insurrections - but that's where it can end. The Tories under Johnson have certainly been well up for pushing the bounds of acceptability when it comes to disinformation. It's well beyond the kind of tit-for-tat political spin bollocks we've been used to in recent decades.

Fair enough I can see why people draw simmilarities on that front.

• Like 1

On 21/01/2021 at 13:58, Voll Blau said:

Let's not forget the Tories' decision to change the name of their official Twitter account to 'Fact Check UK' during a pre-election debate in 2019 or the recent edict from Wellingborough Conservatives that campaigners should embrace fake news.

Embracing tactics like that doesn't start with mobs being incited to commit insurrections - but that's where it can end. The Tories under Johnson have certainly been well up for pushing the bounds of acceptability when it comes to disinformation. It's well beyond the kind of tit-for-tat political spin bollocks we've been used to in recent decades.

Don't forget the editing of an interview with Starmer making out that he had struggled to answer a question when that wasn't the case, and then plastering that all over twitter.

• Like 2

Shows just how negatively the general public view the Labour party, when we can all point out examples such as the few above of how the Conservative party acts, and yet, they will likely go into the next election as favourites to win. We are a baffling country at times.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Why did some politicians abstain on a vote yesterday regarding dangerous cladding on some properties? 

Some MP are paired, so if one can't vote for whatever reason, then they are paired with someone who will vote the other way, who also won't vote to cancel it out. 

I've seen recently that Corbyn was getting pelters for abstaining from voting for LGBT rights, this was prior to his leadership, but he was actually paired with another MP.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Some MP are paired, so if one can't vote for whatever reason, then they are paired with someone who will vote the other way, who also won't vote to cancel it out. 

I've seen recently that Corbyn was getting pelters for abstaining from voting for LGBT rights, this was prior to his leadership, but he was actually paired with another MP.

Thanks, I didn't know that. My first thought was that maybe the MP's abstaining had an interest in the cladding companies or some other much more cynical reason than your explanation 

• Like 1

Just now, FoxesDeb said:

Thanks, I didn't know that. My first thought was that maybe the MP's abstaining had an interest in the cladding companies or some other much more cynical reason than your explanation 

That's also possible. I haven't looked into who abstained. Some could be pairing, some could be because of what you said.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Why did some politicians abstain on a vote yesterday regarding dangerous cladding on some properties? 

35 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

17 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

The govt ordered its MPs to abstain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1