Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

On 21/01/2021 at 13:58, Voll Blau said:

Let's not forget the Tories' decision to change the name of their official Twitter account to 'Fact Check UK' during a pre-election debate in 2019 or the recent edict from Wellingborough Conservatives that campaigners should embrace fake news.

Embracing tactics like that doesn't start with mobs being incited to commit insurrections - but that's where it can end. The Tories under Johnson have certainly been well up for pushing the bounds of acceptability when it comes to disinformation. It's well beyond the kind of tit-for-tat political spin bollocks we've been used to in recent decades.

We shouldn't accept it from anyone.  I feel like part of the issue is the 2 minute interview, in which no one has time for anything other than soundbites which by their definition are hard to question and it is easy to keep repeating yourself for 2 mins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

We shouldn't accept it from anyone.  I feel like part of the issue is the 2 minute interview, in which no one has time for anything other than soundbites which by their definition are hard to question and it is easy to keep repeating yourself for 2 mins.

Don't often agree with Jon on politics but I do on this. The 2 minute interview is pointless. About as much use as BT / Sky Sports soccer highlights where you get the goals and nothing else.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

The implication that another major UK political party has been doing what Voll mentioned.  Very fine people on both sides

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

The implication that another major UK political party has been doing what Voll mentioned.  Very fine people on both sides

What I mean is we are used to holding the other side to account, but in the case of "fake news" or spin we should challenge our own side just as much.

4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

What I mean is we are used to holding the other side to account, but in the case of "fake news" or spin we should challenge our own side just as much.

Happy to. Where's the recent example of something like this which didn't involve the conservative party? Corbyn sitting on the floor of a train maybe?

Just now, Carl the Llama said:

Happy to. Where's the recent example of something like this which didn't involve the conservative party? Corbyn sitting on the floor of a train maybe?

I would think the whitewashing of antisemitism in the Labour party was a pretty good example.  Fortunately they seem to be trying to move on from it.

Labour MPs are just as good at repeating their coached point and not answering questions imo.  Being in opposition of course they don't actually have any policies to defend.

I take Labour spin with a pinch of salt (as everyone should), but any kind of PR tactic they've tried really is nothing compared to the examples of actively promoting and engaging in disinformation the way the Tories have recently. It's unprecedented in our politics.

Also, this needs to be looked into and Johnson should publicly speak out against it...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I would think the whitewashing of antisemitism in the Labour party was a pretty good example.  Fortunately they seem to be trying to move on from it.

Labour MPs are just as good at repeating their coached point and not answering questions imo.  Being in opposition of course they don't actually have any policies to defend.

We weren't talking about deflecting questions though.  It is a cancer on our politics, but you can see how it's a different ballpark to straight up delivering lies as "facts" and trying to trick people into thinking it's from a 3rd party source?   Ironically, choosing to focus on deflected questions is a deflection in its own right, you're not preparing to run are you?

12 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I take Labour spin with a pinch of salt (as everyone should), but any kind of PR tactic they've tried really is nothing compared to the examples of actively promoting and engaging in disinformation the way the Tories have recently. It's unprecedented in our politics.

Also, this needs to be looked into and Johnson should publicly speak out against it...

One of them is literally called "Add Your Name"... Event the ****ing bots can't be arsed

16 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

We weren't talking about deflecting questions though.  It is a cancer on our politics, but you can see how it's a different ballpark to straight up delivering lies as "facts" and trying to trick people into thinking it's from a 3rd party source?   Ironically, choosing to focus on deflected questions is a deflection in its own right, you're not preparing to run are you?

What about the nonsense Labour came out with about NHS funds going to the US?  Or the 50 years of bullshit on Tories privatising the NHS?

Edit I should add I am not saying Labour have been as bad as the Tories, but if you are going to say The Tories are'nt as bad as Trump but.... Then you have to also say Labour have not been as bad as the Tories but... they still spread bullshit when it suits them.

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

One of them is literally called "Add Your Name"... Event the ****ing bots can't be arsed

It is bizarre, because no one would believe for a second someone actually write that.  I find it hard to believe they are anything to do with Boris himself.  

And don't get me wrong, videos like Boris telling people there is no paperwork for shipping from NI to GB for example is utter bullshit.  It is shame the man who delivered us Brexit can't help himself telling the people in front of him what they want to hear regardless of the facts.  The wrong PM for a pandemic.

• Like 2

Just now, Jon the Hat said:

And don't get me wrong, videos like Boris telling people there is no paperwork for shipping from NI to GB for example is utter bullshit.  It is shame the man who delivered us Brexit can't help himself telling the people in front of him what they want to hear regardless of the facts.  The wrong PM for a pandemic.

Amen to that

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

I reckon like a lot of stuff on twitter this is a piss take meant to wind people up 

• Like 1

I don’t know how Priti Patel can continue to be taken seriously anymore.

She swore to be tough on crime and immigration yet we’ve got convicted nonces getting vaccines ahead of regular hard working people and the borders still haven’t been closed despite being nearly a year into a global pandemic. Throw in the missing arrest records one wonders how can she or the Conservative party be trusted to protect this country. 

Just now, Dames said:

She swore to be tough on crime and immigration yet we’ve got convicted nonces getting vaccines ahead of regular hard working people and the borders still haven’t been closed despite being nearly a year into a global pandemic. Throw in the missing arrest records one wonders how can she or the Conservative party be trusted to protect this country. 

We have a duty of care to prisoners to look after them, unpleasant as that may seem in some cases.

She apparently proposed the border closure last year but ultimately it is not her decision.

Police being idiots is not exactly her direct responsibility is it?

3 minutes ago, Dames said:

Surely a more nuanced argument would suggest that vaccinating prisoners helps prison officers/staff avoid getting the virus?

• Like 1

Just now, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Surely a more nuanced argument would suggest that vaccinating prisoners helps prison officers/staff avoid getting the virus?

But you would just vaccinate the staff rather than the lifers convicted of heinous crimes? It just doesn’t send a good message when we are all making sacrifices.