Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 minute ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Where did you decide to go in the end? Not many options left unless you can quarantine (I can and will) 

Marmaris Turkey.

If you're happy to self isolate there are some bargains in greece.

Edited by Webbo

8 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Marmaris Turkey.

If you're happy to self isolate there are some bargains in greece.

Nice, Definitely plenty of cheap flights about, as you say some real bargains.

Im due to go away to the Canary Islands in October, which I booked last October, and at the moment the flight is still going so I’ll be on it!

The travel industry has been hammered and whilst there are plenty of good deals now I expect next year to be different, less choice and more expensive.

Just now, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Nice, Definitely plenty of cheap flights about, as you say some real bargains.

Im due to go away to the Canary Islands in October, which I booked last October, and at the moment the flight is still going so I’ll be on it!

The travel industry has been hammered and whilst there are plenty of good deals now I expect next year to be different, less choice and more expensive.

I was due to go to Tenerife on Tuesday with Jet2 but it was cancelled last week, that's why I was looking.

• Like 1

14 more deaths today. I can't seem to find the number of daily cases.

Cases increased by 50% from last week of August to the first week in Sept, 7995 to 12217. Still the number of deaths don't seem to be rising.

EDIT: Just found another source claiming 20 deaths and 3991 new cases. Unsure which death number is actually correct.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

2 hours ago, simFox said:

People who have been told they need to self isolate for whatever reason unless they can prove they don't have the virus. People who want to travel. People who need to put their kids back into class after being told they've come into contact with a suspected case. Plus many other reasons.

I doubt anyone is going down just to check if they have it, people are not being allowed to work or being risked to be sent to the gulags, unless they can produce a negative result!

But why would people go to A&E? The accident and emergency department of a hospital is not a test centre is it?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

But why would people go to A&E? The accident and emergency department of a hospital is not a test centre is it?

Because people are dumb would be my guess.

It's the same reason they go to A&E with a splinter or a sore throat or they stubbed their toe.

2 hours ago, simFox said:

People who have been told they need to self isolate for whatever reason unless they can prove they don't have the virus. People who want to travel. People who need to put their kids back into class after being told they've come into contact with a suspected case. Plus many other reasons.

I doubt anyone is going down just to check if they have it, people are not being allowed to work or being risked to be sent to the gulags, unless they can produce a negative result!

Nope. At no point throughout any of this was it general protocol to go to A&E voluntarily to get a test. 

Recently I’ve probably aligned more to your opinion than the other side, but none of the reasons you’ve suggested there are valid ones. Regardless of mitigating circumstances. 

I don’t understand why somebody would go to A&E before calling any of the helplines for advice. 

10 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

We have lost the plot, I can't believe it. This will have absolutely minimal affect on the R rate and the spread of Corona.

We live in South Wigston, and my daughter has literally just come home from Blaby Road park. She's spent a couple of hours down there with the same friends she spends all day in the classroom with. How is it ok for her to be indoors with them all day, but not ok for her to be outside with them after school?

3 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

We live in South Wigston, and my daughter has literally just come home from Blaby Road park. She's spent a couple of hours down there with the same friends she spends all day in the classroom with. How is it ok for her to be indoors with them all day, but not ok for her to be outside with them after school?

Start writing out that protest sign now. Head towards the light. Feel the force!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Purely to make it look like they're doing something to combat the virus, it's pointless and will have minimal effect.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Back at school for 8 days, and now my daughter is in isolation for 14 days, her football coach has just tested positive. The sign of the way it's going be for a while I guess. I'm also reading that Oadby and Wigston are possibly heading back into a local lockdown again....

This turned out to be a false alarm, the club sent the messages out to the parents of the wrong team :rolleyes: We didn't receive the notification until after I'd spoken to her school though, who said it was fine for her to go in as she isn't showing symptoms, and the affected person isn't part of her household.

I'm sure these guidelines change daily, at least that's how it feels.

When is the official update for restrictions btw? I tried to look earlier but couldn't find anything recent...

1 hour ago, stix said:

Nope. At no point throughout any of this was it general protocol to go to A&E voluntarily to get a test. 

Recently I’ve probably aligned more to your opinion than the other side, but none of the reasons you’ve suggested there are valid ones. Regardless of mitigating circumstances. 

I don’t understand why somebody would go to A&E before calling any of the helplines for advice. 

Ah, ok, I'm not in the UK so not versed in where people need go for a test, but I should imagine they've taken a throw off the dice in order to get some kind of result, albeit a misinformed one. Either way, people are needing tests due to policy which is sucking up capacity and people are getting desperate and frustrated.

The article I've posted highlights the low threshold for which a test comes back positive.  Basically, it can detect old virus which is not likely to be infectious.  

If this is not understood, PCR results may lead to restrictions for large groups of people who do not present an infection risk.

We've had people indoors for an age and now people are out and about and colds will take hold.  Surely case rises contain many who do not necessarily carry infectious virus.  The test does not clarify this according to that article.  

As the guy on the video said, we're currently in a casedemic scenario.

Edited by Legend_in_blue