Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

50 minutes ago, Lionator said:

The Boris approach is that when something fails, to make an even more ambitious promise so that people forget about the original failure and only report on the next promise eg operation moonshine. And when that fails, to make an even more improbable promise. And it’s fine because he’s got to where he has because of lies and mugs falling for it time and time again. Its governance by PR and not by what’s best for the country. 

Meanwhile we are doing hundred of thousands of tests a day, more than other nations (partly due to more cases no doubt).  Not sure this is really failure.

6 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

could someone confirm, is it only in the UK that the Government can get absolutely slated for not locking down then get absolutely slated for locking down?

I'm not sure, but i bet there's plenty of football managers that have got slated for starting on the attack then going defensive when they think the match is sewn up only to end up losing the game.

3 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The same Sky article which has claimed about a national lockdown, also has its source saying that SAGE think there’s 38k new cases a day occurring 

That's probably good news.  If there are over a quarter of a million new cases every week but deaths are staying steady at about 60, then the disease is clearly not having the effect that it was.

• Like 1

'Boris Johnson says only report rule breakers if they are having 'Animal House' parties

'Boris Johnson has said members of the public should not report neighbours who breach the "rule of six" unless they are having "Animal House" parties with "hot tubs and so forth".'

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-boris-johnson-says-only-report-rule-breakers-if-they-are-having-animal-house-parties-12073784

Boris suggests talking with the neighbours first before alerting the authorities. That's sound I'll invite them in for a few beers to join the rest of us in the living roomlol

30 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I think that's the common sense approach, unfortunately his ministers have given the media fuel by saying grass anyone up you can haha.

If there's 7 or 8 people knocking about having a BBQ you'd have to be a right miserable low life to go grassing them up.

Haha don’t worry there’s plenty of those about!

2 hours ago, BKLFox said:

could someone confirm, is it only in the UK that the Government can get absolutely slated for not locking down then get absolutely slated for locking down?

No - people have different opinions, that’s the human race. The same debate has been very publicly had in Germany (touched up in this thread) 

5 hours ago, joachim1965 said:

If the deaths purely from covid were published there would be nothing to report.

The pandemic was over a while back, all the hysteria now is over cases, and they are using an unreliable test. This will never be over whilst we carry on like we are.

No, the pandemic isn't over, the virus is still present all across the globe impacting large numbers of people. 

The worry is that these case risings have the potential to cycle back into the huge numbers of cases and deaths we were facing. 

But you're right, this won't be over whilst we continue as we are. Given huge numbers of people seem to lack common sense, from those in charge to those living down the road. 

3 hours ago, filbertway said:

I think that's the common sense approach, unfortunately his ministers have given the media fuel by saying grass anyone up you can haha.

If there's 7 or 8 people knocking about having a BBQ you'd have to be a right miserable low life to go grassing them up.

That's a few on here who probably already have them on speed dial 1.

18 hours ago, Nod.E said:

After some preposterous modelling of likely deaths from Covid-19 by Professor Neil Ferguson and his Imperial College crew, British politicians panicked. The Swedes, led by their chief epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell, didn’t. Britain and Sweden had wanted to control rather than try to eliminate the virus, letting it spread slowly through the population until a measure of general immunity was reached. We lost our nerve and Sweden was left almost alone in the world (and widely condemned: Imperial’s model predicted 85,000 deaths there; the total so far is 5,851). They proceeded with a mostly voluntary, common-sense code — schools, factories, businesses and restaurants stayed open — while we took a wrecking ball to our economy. Spain, which reacted with the fiercest lockdown, now tops the league of “second-wave” infection. Sweden is at the bottom.” – The Times

I'm in Sweden now. life as close to normal as anywhere I've seen.

10 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

20 deaths today, 3991 new cases.

'The UK recorded 20 deaths of people with confirmed cases of COVID-19 today, according to government figures.'

Are they stll including people who have had a positive test and then died regardless of how they died in these figures?

Yep, deaths within 28 days of a positive test are counted.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It’s already started

Headmasters shitting themselves and kids being sent home with the snuffles

Parents then having to socially isolate and completely overwhelming the test availability

It’s gonna be a long winter this one...

Not exactly their fault is it?

51 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yep, deaths within 28 days of a positive test are counted.

That's  why the death figures are a load of bollocks,  show us the death rate of people who actually died as a direct result of covid, of course not , as zero deaths doesn't sell papers or have the general public shitting themselves.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Not exactly their fault is it?

No it isn’t. But come on. The ‘sniffles’ aren’t a symptom of coronavirus. It’s ridiculous Stan. The reason so many school years are having to self isolate is because everything is so unclear, that the first time a teacher sees or hears a child fvcking cough, that’s it, everyone out. 

I don’t know the solution, but this scenario is simply unachievable, even in the short term. People will lose their jobs, homes and livelihoods because of this. 

1 minute ago, stix said:

No it isn’t. But come on. The ‘sniffles’ aren’t a symptom of coronavirus. It’s ridiculous Stan. The reason so many school years are having to self isolate is because everything is so unclear, that the first time a teacher sees or hears a child fvcking cough, that’s it, everyone out. 

I don’t know the solution, but this scenario is simply unachievable, even in the short term. People will lose their jobs, homes and livelihoods because of this. 

I understand that, don't get me wrong. But with everything so unclear, you can't blame the headteachers for wanting to do what's right by their school/establishment.

To play devil's advocate, what if they just kept everyone there when people complaint of sniffles, and it turned out to that kid(s) had COVID and it passed to teachers, other kids, parents etc... That school will be criticised for not shutting down early to stop a potential spread :dunno:

Just now, StanSP said:

I understand that, don't get me wrong. But with everything so unclear, you can't blame the headteachers for wanting to do what's right by their school/establishment.

To play devil's advocate, what if they just kept everyone there when people complaint of sniffles, and it turned out to that kid(s) had COVID and it passed to teachers, other kids, parents etc... That school will be criticised for not shutting down early to stop a potential spread :dunno:

That's incredibly unlikely given that it's not actually a symptom...