Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, reynard said:

I'm sure I heard on Radio4 yesterday that the so-called available test number includes both tests to see if you have it and also tests for antibodies. I was driving at the time so might have mis heard. Can anyone confirm this?

I didn’t think they were carrying out anti body tests on the nhs as they have no bearing on what you do/don’t do.  Perhaps @z-layrex can comment on that ...

9 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I guess if you restrict the tests in the worst affected areas then the case numbers will look better !!

Leicester should be out of lockdown in a week if there is no test no one will be positive 🙈🙈 just crazy though maybe didn’t need to do all the door to door testing a few weeks ago then would have had some for when they needed it 

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

Interesting to know how many tests are being taken up by kids who have a cold but are not allowed in school and people who don't want to quarantine anymore. 

Testing kids must be a nightmare for reliability. There is no way you're getting a reliable result if my toddler was tested. 

100% this. I believe there isn't any real data or evidence to say that kids can catch it too? 

Realistically what did people in general expect though? Majority of kids and people have been locked down for near on 5 or so months, haven't mixed with others and what not. They'll have no immune system so kids getting colds on their first week or two back to school was always going to happen.

Common sense needed with the kids situation me thinks.

Edited by Ashley
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ashley said:

100% this i believe there isn't any real data or evidence to say that kids can catch it too? 

Realistically what did people in general expect though? Majority of kids and people have been locked down for near on 5 or so months, haven't mixed with others and what not. They'll have no immune system so kids getting colds on their first week or two back to school was always going to happen.

Common sense needed with the kids situation me thinks.

Sneezes and sniffles are v unlikely to be CV

there should have been a public info campaign running when the schools re opened to remind parents of this - you are completely right about them catching colds -  and this is exactly what is happening. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Sneezes and sniffles are v unlikely to be CV

there should have been a public info campaign running when the schools re opened to remind parents of this - you are completely right about them catching colds -  and this is exactly what is happening. 

I’m almost certain I had covid in March (symptoms came on exactly a week after Cheltenham) and I sneezed a fair bit after the first couple of days.

14 hours ago, Line-X said:

I'd venture that having lived in Germany for so long he's actually bilingual - respect. However, if you can remotely make any sense of his sprawling rambling posts and tangential non-sequiturs, then fair play to you - I'm genuinely all ears.

As I said, one of the best things that he has ever contributed to this forum was today when he called out those very 'negative naysayers' as you put it, which in fairness, he can often be relied upon to do. 

I know what you mean about his writings and they are very shambolic at times. 

57 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-unemployment-rate-climbs-as-pandemic-takes-toll-12072250

Unemployment at 4.1%, furlough hasn't even ended yet, this is only going to get higher.

I thought the whole point of furlough was for companies that use it to retain their staff, not be used as a delay in making redundancies.

9 hours ago, reynard said:

I'm sure I heard on Radio4 yesterday that the so-called available test number includes both tests to see if you have it and also tests for antibodies. I was driving at the time so might have mis heard. Can anyone confirm this?

7 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I didn’t think they were carrying out anti body tests on the nhs as they have no bearing on what you do/don’t do.  Perhaps @z-layrex can comment on that ...

On the ONS study I am part of, they will eventually test for antibodies but its for research purposes only. In other words, they wont tell me if it shows I've had it

Might be the same logic IF you can get an antibody test on NHS, I dont know.

14 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I thought the whole point of furlough was for companies that use it to retain their staff, not be used as a delay in making redundancies.

That was the point.

But I suppose there'll be a lot of businesses that either hoped to keep trading or hoped to retain current staffing levels......but realises now that isn't going to be viable due to lost turnover/profitability.

So, they'll either shut down completely rather than keep losing money or cut staffing numbers to make the business viable with a lower turnover.

I imagine there'll be a few who abuse the system (furlough staff with no intention of keeping them on), but mainly a reasonable gamble by the govt, I'd say.

A lot more people would've been laid off several months ago without the furlough....some of whom will now keep their jobs in those businesses that do remain viable.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Parafox said:

I know what you mean about his writings and they are very shambolic at times. 

2 hours ago, Line-X said:

With the best possible intent, I'm sure. 

How very dare you..!!

My bolic has never been sham..

My Intent is Never the possible best...

My dabblings of scribe...is Simply the positive Intention of negative intention...

And to steal someone elses wisdom.....

"There is nothing so pitiful as a young or aged cynic because he goes from knowing nothing to believing nothing." 

Besides Cryptic crossword  of Verse is more fun...!!!...:frantics:

Mix that with my medication, One can reach the hights of Unforgettable jibbery

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/09/2020 at 19:30, String fellow said:

I'm still struggling to work out why cheap face masks only protect other people from the wearer, not the wearer from other people. Surely the pressure of a sneeze or even the exhaled breath of the wearer is going to be much greater than anything coming towards him/her from the opposite direction. Therefore, isn't the virus more likely to pass outwards through or round the edges of the mask than it is to come inwards? So the wearer should be protected from other people, not the other way round!

It is both ways, but the protection for the wearer is much smaller.

The reason is that if you e.g. cough, the particles will be stopped close to the wearer, and at distance from those around her.  But if its the other way round the protective material the mask is already in close proximity to your face.  So particles can still land in the surrounding area, and be breathed in after the mask is taken off or perhaps fall through the gaps around the mask.

On 13/09/2020 at 08:38, James. said:

Thinking back fondly to the days when you could drive 100 miles for a covid test.

As of this morning:

No drive through tests available

No walk through tests available

No home testing kits available

Shambles.

test centres are all probably in the local lockdown areas :/

I will guess Leicester city itself no longer has over 10% of the entire country capacity anymore either as its no longer top of the charts as well.

On 13/09/2020 at 11:02, StanSP said:

With case numbers increasing/deaths not doing so in line with that, is it sensible to think the virus has mutated and isn't nowhere near as strong as it was about 6 months ago?

The prime reason (which i have tried to explain a few times in the local lockdown thread) is that most of the test cases are now people in the Pillar B group, in spring it was mostly Pillar A.

Pillar A is confirmed case for someone in hospital, and back then of course you had to be in quite a bad state to get admitted, obviously going to have nasty fatality rates.

Pillar B is community testing, many of the cases are people either with no or only light symptoms.

This has been explained by many doctors to media channels as well, but they wont listen.  Instead they just drive the government mantra.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This letter was on the doorstep today when I got home from work. No name on it just my address, skeptical as I am I called 119. They checked it out, by which I mean the guy I spoke to spoke to his boss about it. They concluded that neither of them knew anything about track & trace being sent out by post, only email text and phone. The guy that answered said that he used to do the track & trace before moving to 119, and said that when he was doing it, any person flagged on the track & trace would have been called & texted relentlessly until contact was made. They came to the conclusion that it was some kind of scam. 

Anyone else had one of these? 

DC66A3DC-3A0A-4220-B00F-8EFC211C9D08.jpeg

And does anyone know if all those links listed are genuine? That’s the only thing I think a scammer could gain from doing this? If the links were the scam. 

edit: I must add, that they couldn’t catagorically tell me that it was a scam and not to worry about it either. The 2 places that we’ve been track & traced throughout this, was my wife on the bank holiday Monday when she went to the pub, she gave an address & Telephone No. & us as a family went for a meal at the Local Hero the Sunday after that. I gave my name and phone number. 

Edited by stix

5 minutes ago, stix said:

This letter was on the doorstep today when I got home from work. No name on it just my address, skeptical as I am I called 119. They checked it out, by which I mean the guy I spoke to spoke to his boss about it. They concluded that neither of them knew anything about track & trace being sent out by post, only email text and phone. The guy that answered said that he used to do the track & trace before moving to 119, and said that when he was doing it, any person flagged on the track & trace would have been called & texted relentlessly until contact was made. They came to the conclusion that it was some kind of scam. 

Anyone else had one of these? 

DC66A3DC-3A0A-4220-B00F-8EFC211C9D08.jpeg

I don't see how it would be a scam though but likewise it's not 1930 anymore so contacting you by post would seem inefficient? All the links look legit, the phone number looks legit and what does anybody gain by sending you a letter to tell you to stay at home for a week? I know there's some sad people out there but surely not sad enough to get a kick out of people sitting at home for a week.

1 minute ago, Kopfkino said:

I don't see how it would be a scam though but likewise it's not 1930 anymore so contacting you by post would seem inefficient? All the links look legit, the phone number looks legit and what does anybody gain by sending you a letter to tell you to stay at home for a week? I know there's some sad people out there but surely not sad enough to get a kick out of people sitting at home for a week.

Well this is the thing. If the links are legit, what’s the point. They are my thoughts entirely. But when you call the helpline, to get a half arsed response, neither telling us to self isolate nor not bother, wtf should we do?

Thank you Chrysalis for that explanation about masks. Something else I'm not sure about is club meetings. Three times a year, about 25 of us (mainly blokes over 50) meet at a village hall to show off our model-building skills. With the rule of 6 now in place, I'm not entirely sure if our all-day autumn meeting will be allowed, even if we take the necessary precautions. If it is verboten, the sooner I can issue a cancellation notice to everyone else, the better.

Edited by String fellow

So the government have started releasing testing data again, and cases aren’t massively increasing and tests are at their highest level (perhaps not in the right way), only really in hotspots. We’re in an interesting position right now where it can be controlled if people are sensible. If not then it’s only heading one way. 

Hospitalisations look to be on the up in hotspots but only a fool wouldn’t expect that. Once cases stop rising, so will hospitalisations. 

I'm participating in a study to see who's actually had the old Covid-19.

I've been sent an antibody test, which I assumed I would then have to send off in the interests of research, but it seems that I do it myself and get the results there and then, and then send those in. Are antibody tests always like this?

10 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'm participating in a study to see who's actually had the old Covid-19.

I've been sent an antibody test, which I assumed I would then have to send off in the interests of research, but it seems that I do it myself and get the results there and then, and then send those in. Are antibody tests always like this?

My brother-in-law did one and that was how it worked.

Just a little **** and you're sorted.

Edit: lol pr1ck gets censored, even when used appropriately... ish

Edited by Trav Le Bleu