Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Corky said:

Isn't pubs shutting just going to lead to more house gatherings?

It will in the younger generation, 100%.

 

An alternative is closing the pubs earlier, but can you imagine a group of 5-10 students calling it a night at 10pm and heading off home seperately to go sleep? Plus people will probably just go out 2/3 hours earlier to make up for that time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

And this is the attitude that has got us to the brink of a second lockdown.

 

If people followed guidelines and advice, it might not have come to this.

 

From my experience, a lot of younger people seem to think they can do what they want, like they're immune.

You are right, lets blame the young people for spreading the virus, in those dastardly retail and hospitality jobs while living in studio flats with no outside space because they cant afford to buy....

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

This comment keeps coming up and it's pissing me off.

 

I was very critical of people breaking the rules in March-June, but the virus still spread across the UK like wildfire. The majority of the population has followed the rules for the majority of the time, with even the rule breakers (again the majority of them) being ones such as visiting a loved one or seeing a newborn baby aka mixing households. Very few people will be having 10+ people over for parties.

 

We were told in August to eat out to help out, go back to work, get back to normal, now most of us have done that we've been told we're misbehaving. We can shut literally everything down except public transport, key worker workplaces, schools, univerisities and hospitals, and I bet the number of cases and infections will still go up.

Behave.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

This comment keeps coming up and it's pissing me off.

 

I was very critical of people breaking the rules in March-June, but the virus still spread across the UK like wildfire. The majority of the population has followed the rules for the majority of the time, with even the rule breakers being ones such as visiting a love one or seeing a newborn baby aka mixing households. Very few people will be having 10+ people over for parties.

 

We were told in August to eat out to help out, go back to work, get back to normal, now most of us have done that we've been told we're misbehaving. We can shut literally everything down except public transport, key worker workplaces, schools, univerisities and hospitals, and I bet the number of cases and infections will still go up.

Yes, they will.  Unfortunately the govt appear to correlate not going out with a decrease in cases but the scientific evidence is mounting substantially against this and people are wising up to it.

 

 

Edited by Legend_in_blue
Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of pubs are near 50/50 in terms of takings for alcohol and food. You can't close pubs and keep restaurants open because they're the same thing if you're talking any weatherspoons or greene King, a few dozen in every city. I hope they don't but if they do i get my furlough. 

 

Also my better half works in a school and one of the kids in her class today was sent home with symptoms, an already depleted class, to add. What is the guidance if said child tests positive, will I have to isolate as I live with my partner? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Unfortunately the govt appear to correlate not going out with a decrease in cases but the scientific evidence is mounting substantially now against this and people are wising up to it.

 

 

Is it? Fascinating. Source? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Is it? Fascinating. Source? 

You will find plenty of data here:

 

https://www.cebm.net/oxford-covid-19-evidence-service/

 

One of the latest pieces of data...

 

image.png.a0c55d372e56175636c57219fb6129cf.png

 

Two key questions:  1 - how many of the infections pre March, of which there are many, could be attributed to COVID bearing in mind testing hadn't begun on this before March?  Considering current levels of infection, although 2 weeks prior, is moving back to level 4 alert the right thing to do?  Looks more like a move to level 2 when considering the latter third of the graph.

 

I'm just about to listen back to Whitty from this morning so will see what his take is on it.  

 

 

Edited by Legend_in_blue
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Nalis said:

You are right, lets blame the young people for spreading the virus, in those dastardly retail and hospitality jobs while living in studio flats with no outside space because they cant afford to buy....

Sorry? No, the one's that still participate in mass gatherings are the one's 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone been into town past 10pm since they reopened? Not sure how busy they are and how places are trying to have social distancing. Only been in my local at that time and a curfew will make no difference, the same people are in there before and after 10. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Earlier this year, we were told that Italy was suffering badly, due to its high proportion of older people and because of extended families living together. However, fast forward six months, and Italy is showing few signs of a second wave, whilst in Spain, France and the UK, cases are rocketing back up. What's Italy doing right that the other three are doing wrong?  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Sorry? So not the young student who was hoping to go back to his bar job to help pay his rent and living expenses,  they’ll be pleased you’ve let him/her off the hook. 

 

You are aware that everyone has bills to pay? Put food in their mouths? Keep a roof over their heads?

 

If this was a virus that exclusively killed under 30's, we'd be getting comments like "the boomers can't keep to lockdown"

 

But no, people were asked to stick to guidelines and advice, but a lot haven't, then get upset when there could be a second lockdown.

 

It's not rocket science.

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/epidemic-curves-organised-by-reporting-date-and-specimen-date/

 

This is absolutely brilliant analysis.  Take a step back, ignore the mass hysteria in the media and work with the facts are they are presented here.  

 

It's amazing what a little tinkering with the data can achieve and how it can drive agendas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tom27111 said:

 

You are aware that everyone has bills to pay? Put food in their mouths? Keep a roof over their heads?

 

If this was a virus that exclusively killed under 30's, we'd be getting comments like "the boomers can't keep to lockdown"

 

But no, people were asked to stick to guidelines and advice, but a lot haven't, then get upset when there could be a second lockdown.

 

It's not rocket science.

Cases rising has nothing to do with the fact schools have opened then? Nor universities have gone back.

 

I posted some stats a few pages ago, the majority of the spreading was in care homes, schools, hospitals and universities. I can't think of one person I know who's caught it at a mass gathering, the ones I know have all caught it at work, because they shared the same space as others .

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Cases rising has nothing to do with the fact schools have opened then? Nor universities have gone back.

 

I posted some stats a few pages ago, the majority of the spreading was in care homes, schools, hospitals and universities. I can't think of one person I know who's caught it at a mass gathering, the ones I know have all caught it at work, because they shared the same space as others .

Ever thought how it got in to workplaces to start with?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/44275043/ns/health-cold_and_flu/t/why-some-people-dont-get-flu/

 

In the event of no vaccine being available for a couple of years, I think that this study from 2011 on why some people get flu and some don't could be a way out of lockdowns. What they found was they could spot if someone, after becoming infected with the flu virus, was going to get flu symptoms 36 hours beforehand, this would buy time so they could isolate earlier therefore reducing the chances of passing it on, or in other words reducing the R value.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...