Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

4 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Half term is the end of October.  It's doubtful whether any government should be fixing plans that far ahead, and there's no way this one will.  They change their mind every day.

First thing to establish is does lockdown work, except in the very loosest sense of stopping people catching the disease in the time they are locked down.  Because it looks more and more like lockdown is a long term, possibly very long term, "answer".

You don’t believe governments plan months in advance? I know Boris’s brigade seem to be making things up as they go along but there has to be some kind of forward planning.

Lockdown is nothing more than a temporary fix before we will be back to where we are now sometime in December or January 

7 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Good post

’Comfortable’ is a shocking word to use

People that die from it are anything but ‘comfortable’ and the systemic nature of the virus, when it really takes hold, seems very different to flu.

That said, it’s here to stay and ‘living with it’ seems to be the only way to go.

It’s highly contagious, like flu, but infection control measures DO help

It’s time the public changed how we do things. Government can put out as many dictats as they like, it’s down to people to have some common fookin sense, learn about the virus themselves and try to look after themselves to minimise the chances of contracting it

A pub full of people laffin, spluttering, slobbering, not washing their hands is imo absurd given the circumstances.

True and it also about people following the rules. Spoke to our son in Birmingham yesterday who said at least 25% of people on the buses are not wearing masks!

I believe they wanted to wait until the October half term to implement the so-called two week block but the infection rate is growing too fast to wait that long. People have become too complacent on the whole and the messages of what to do have at times been too complex.

Pretty certain to see nationwide restrictions from next week with places like pubs and restaurants being restricted on what they can do or possibly closed completely. Also a ban on mixing households. If that doesn't work then except further restrictions but schools will be the last to close.

Edited by reynard

Just now, Harrydc said:

The service industry is crumbling? If this industry crumbles it'll put millions of people out of work. It would be disaster. 

Thousands already are.  There are far fewer customers about and it's already put the nails to many enterprises, more will inevitably follow as this virus gets worse again then continues to drag on.  The most expendable staff will always be the first to go, that means student shift workers like yourself I'm afraid.

In some ways it's good fortune that the lockdown was brought in as the curve was already beginning to decrease due to the seasonal effects of the virus.  This time round, the lockdown, if there is one, will have minimal effect imo.  Then people will really kick off when the numbers are not seen to be effected nearly as much by a lockdown as the govt would lead everyone to believe. The seasonal variation is kicking in again and we'll see a shallower curve up until next Feb/March regardless of lockdowns.

1 minute ago, Line-X said:

It could be arranged - but again the logistical requirements would be huge. I think that the very threat of such spot checks and the possibility of the public informing authorities of irresponsible or illegal practice would hopefully be an adequate deterrent moving forward. 

One would have hoped that the threat of tens of thousands of deaths would have been a deterrent from acting irresponsibly, but sadly that doesn't seem to have been enough for many people. 

God help us if the country ever faces a bigger threat than this, nobody will be interested, it will be every person for themselves 

But so many people just don't care, really, as long as they think they are immune. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I don't know who, and I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why it's impossible. We have mystery shoppers for most customer service businesses so why not have covid mystery shoppers lol who can report to local authorities. Plenty of people out to work who would do it..

It's actually quite a conversation. The most logical people to do it would be EHO's or TSO's, who are well versed in public safety, work for local authorities and already have powers to close licenced businesses. They also know the law and are used to dealing with publicans/restaurant owners.   

The downside is the sheer enormity of it - I was talking on Friday to the lead EHO of a local authority near me that has nigh on 2,000 pubs and restaurants in her borough - and she is the only full time person in the department. Much of the slack is taken up by external contractors who don't have quite the same level of power.

Self policing - ie people not being cnuts - would be the ideal solution. 

Some pubs that I have been into have a 'no vertical drinking' policy. Table service only and if there are no tables available then you can't come in.         

14 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

And this is the attitude that has got us to the brink of a second lockdown.

If people followed guidelines and advice, it might not have come to this.

From my experience, a lot of younger people seem to think they can do what they want, like they're immune.

Really harsh on the original poster, did you read that they need money to actually get by and for living expenses.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Doesn't everyone? 

Unfortunately, we can't get on with our lives as normal and to think we can is dangerous.

No not everyone has rent or a mortgage, a job to hang on to and to think they do is incredibly naive.

Edited by Mark 'expert' Lawrenson
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

From my experience, a lot of younger people seem to think they can do what they want, like they're immune.

The majority of the population have been following the guidelines for months now.

If the furlough ends in October, I think the lockdown will become a lot less popular on here. I think they'll keep it in place for certain sectors, ones that are still not fully functioning or the ones likely to be the first to shut in the event of harsher restrictions.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Corky said:

Isn't pubs shutting just going to lead to more house gatherings?

It will in the younger generation, 100%.

An alternative is closing the pubs earlier, but can you imagine a group of 5-10 students calling it a night at 10pm and heading off home seperately to go sleep? Plus people will probably just go out 2/3 hours earlier to make up for that time.

42 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

You are right, lets blame the young people for spreading the virus, in those dastardly retail and hospitality jobs while living in studio flats with no outside space because they cant afford to buy....

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

This comment keeps coming up and it's pissing me off.

I was very critical of people breaking the rules in March-June, but the virus still spread across the UK like wildfire. The majority of the population has followed the rules for the majority of the time, with even the rule breakers (again the majority of them) being ones such as visiting a loved one or seeing a newborn baby aka mixing households. Very few people will be having 10+ people over for parties.

We were told in August to eat out to help out, go back to work, get back to normal, now most of us have done that we've been told we're misbehaving. We can shut literally everything down except public transport, key worker workplaces, schools, univerisities and hospitals, and I bet the number of cases and infections will still go up.

Behave.

11 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

This comment keeps coming up and it's pissing me off.

I was very critical of people breaking the rules in March-June, but the virus still spread across the UK like wildfire. The majority of the population has followed the rules for the majority of the time, with even the rule breakers being ones such as visiting a love one or seeing a newborn baby aka mixing households. Very few people will be having 10+ people over for parties.

We were told in August to eat out to help out, go back to work, get back to normal, now most of us have done that we've been told we're misbehaving. We can shut literally everything down except public transport, key worker workplaces, schools, univerisities and hospitals, and I bet the number of cases and infections will still go up.

Yes, they will.  Unfortunately the govt appear to correlate not going out with a decrease in cases but the scientific evidence is mounting substantially against this and people are wising up to it.

Edited by Legend_in_blue

A lot of pubs are near 50/50 in terms of takings for alcohol and food. You can't close pubs and keep restaurants open because they're the same thing if you're talking any weatherspoons or greene King, a few dozen in every city. I hope they don't but if they do i get my furlough. 

Also my better half works in a school and one of the kids in her class today was sent home with symptoms, an already depleted class, to add. What is the guidance if said child tests positive, will I have to isolate as I live with my partner? 

1 minute ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Unfortunately the govt appear to correlate not going out with a decrease in cases but the scientific evidence is mounting substantially now against this and people are wising up to it.

Is it? Fascinating. Source?