Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

15 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54246403

'Whitbread, which owns Premier Inn and Beefeater, has warned that 6,000 staff could lose their jobs.'

The government has to extend the furlough scheme for the hospitality industry, especially given many workers are on relatively low hourly pay.

My other half works for a company which deals with large events, venues and football stadiums. They've already laid off hundreds of people as their income was basically stopped in March, another six months of restrictions and there's little hope it will survive without gov't support.

She's now facing unpaid leave or even redundancy once furlough ends, which is worrying to say the least. 

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, RoboFox said:

The government has to extend the furlough scheme for the hospitality industry, especially given many workers are on relatively low hourly pay.

My other half works for a company which deals with large events, venues and football stadiums. They've already laid off hundreds of people as their income was basically stopped in March, another six months of restrictions and there's little hope it will survive without gov't support.

She's now facing unpaid leave or even redundancy once furlough ends, which is super worrying. 

I imagine their arms will be twisted to do so. They simply can't allow people to fend for themselves.....

Heard a behaviour scientist a couple of weeks ago say that the early tactics of bit by bit advice works but eventually people need to know an overall plan and they should be outlining this at this stage. 

The mind only works long term if we have a goal or aim. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

So sport and live performance likely to go another 6 months without crowds. I hope there's a heft support package available because that will kill a lot of grass roots teams, clubs and venues.

I don't see what will be different in 6 months tbh. If they don't believe herd immunity is achievable. Absolutely demoralising.

Looks like the best hope is a vaccine asap.

10 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Heard a behaviour scientist a couple of weeks ago say that the early tactics of bit by bit advice works but eventually people need to know an overall plan and they should be outlining this at this stage. 

The mind only works long term if we have a goal or aim. 

This completely, we just don't know the direction we are heading in and it makes it incredibly difficult for businesses and households to make informed decisions. Clearly the measures they make must be evidence-based, but there does need to be a lot more proactive thinking, including setting out a roadmap for the next few months. 

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

Still complete lack of clarity... He mentions continuing outdoor sports... But what about indoor? Gyms closing or what? 

He said indoor sports with more than 6 cannot carry on, and said businesses can remain open if "covid-safe", I assume gyms come under that. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, filbertway said:

So sport and live performance likely to go another 6 months without crowds. I hope there's a heft support package available because that will kill a lot of grass roots teams, clubs and venues.

I don't see what will be different in 6 months tbh. If they don't believe herd immunity is achievable. Absolutely demoralising.

Looks like the best hope is a vaccine asap.

Another thing that's damned if you do damned if you don't. We'll hear "frenchies are allowed in stadiums now" which is true enough some of them are, but they'll forget all about the pool outbreak linked to their champions league game that "should" have been stopped. 

7 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Walk into a pub maybe? 

Stands to reason later in the night the more drunk people are and the more liberal they are with their actions... Surely. :unsure:

Maybe, but it's the sweeping generalisation that gets the goat. It's like another way to pin the blame, like teachers and people working at home.

If he'd said: "Analysis of test and trace has seen more than 50% of cases in the last month linked to people who have been in pubs between 8pm-12am, as well as 45% of those self-isolating coming from those in pubs" I'd have understood the initial claim. It just wasn't backed up.

• Like 3