Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

10 minutes ago, Line-X said:

If we are forced to opt for a vaccine that gives only one year of protection, then obviously we are doomed to have Covid become endemic, and the infection will always with us. The world has changed and people need to learn to adapt to this. We need to be prepared for programmes of extensive monitoring for infections backed up by swift outbreak containment. People must play their part too, by maintaining handwashing, physical distancing and avoiding gatherings, particularly in enclosed spaces - unfortunately, we know that many are flagrantly flouting regulations and guidelines hence the Hancock's clumsily worded punitive rhetoric.

Repurposed drugs are faster to test than vaccines, so that raises the possibility of antiviral or an antibody treatment that works before the latter becomes available. Immediate treatment when symptoms come on could at least reduce the death rate. Although equal access, full transparency and cost are a concern - I am reminded of the Tamiflu farce. 

Fascinatingly, there is t speculation amongst leading epidemiologists and virologists that common cold coronaviruses crossed into humans in the distant past and caused similar illness before settling down.

I saw that this week, it would make sense I guess. I also wonder if SARS 1 would've been similar to this in terms of IFR if it had gotten out of control. 

1 minute ago, Lionator said:

I saw that this week, it would make sense I guess. I also wonder if SARS 1 would've been similar to this in terms of IFR if it had gotten out of control. 

There's a thought.

It seems to be that the more severe that the strain is, the less virulent it tends to be and the more likely it is to burn itself out. 

5 minutes ago, Line-X said:

There's a thought.

It seems to be that the more severe that the strain is, the less virulent it tends to be and the more likely it is to burn itself out. 

That would tally given what we know about infectious diseases in general - for instance there's a reason why the really terrible haemorrhagic fevers, have, thankfully, never spread across vast distances. For the time being, anyway.

4 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

Anyone that is in the 1% category should do everything they can to protect there self and the other 99% of which it has little effect on should get on with there lives imo.

this is getting ridiculous.

way to much scaremongering going on from the gov and media when the stats show it effect hardly 1% of the population

What's the 1% category? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Line-X said:

If we are forced to opt for a vaccine that gives only one year of protection, then obviously we are doomed to have Covid become endemic, and the infection will always with us. The world has changed and people need to learn to adapt to this. We need to be prepared for programmes of extensive monitoring for infections backed up by swift outbreak containment. People must play their part too, by maintaining handwashing, physical distancing and avoiding gatherings, particularly in enclosed spaces - unfortunately, we know that many are flagrantly flouting regulations and guidelines hence the Hancock's clumsily worded punitive rhetoric.

Repurposed drugs are faster to test than vaccines, so that raises the possibility of antiviral or an antibody treatment that works before the latter becomes available. Immediate treatment when symptoms come on could at least reduce the death rate. Although equal access, full transparency and cost are a concern - I am reminded of the Tamiflu farce. 

Fascinatingly, there is t speculation amongst leading epidemiologists and virologists that common cold coronaviruses crossed into humans in the distant past and caused similar illness before settling down.

Just like flu I imagine

People have the flu jab every year because the strain mutates

Covid will do the same 

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I imagine it’s bound to mate, it’s a virus

In the same way scientists have to determine how the flu vaccine looks every year, they’ll be having to do the same with Corona Virus

If/when it becomes endemic, yes I entirely agree. 

19 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I’m intrigued why we aren’t trying the stuff that we know works before going into a full blown lockdown.

The 2 metre rule for example, with or without a mask reduces circulation of this virus. Why hasn’t it been reintroduced? 

We know it barely transmits outside, so why are we banning outdoor meetings? People would be less tempted to break rules and meet indoors then. 

Nothing makes sense, the government blew it over the summer when they should’ve been making plans for an increase of infections and now they’re crapping the bed. Instead all we got was an exams fiasco and ‘normal by Christmas’. Such infuriating incompetence. 

So accurate. A great post..

I personally just feel we have such a staggeringly low intellectual pool of talent at Whitehall compared with generations past. 

Regardless of views on policy, we've had big leaders with string cabinets in the past; Thatcher had huge intellectual figures in the cabinet  (albeit some if them bullied by her) and on the benches.  Blair had big beasts like mandelson and brown. Even Cameron had political thinkers of Hague, Clegg even Clarke in the hinterground. 

This lot are league 1 level politicians. And cowards to boot. Leading isn't about rules.of six and blaming students and soundbite moonshots. Leadership is taking tough decisions AND taking people with you

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Closing pubs would just punish those who already socially distance in pubs. The people that dont socially distance in pubs will end up at illegal parties / raves so it would end being a counter productive measure.

You can police social distancing in pubs too (the bar staff can limit people on a table etc.), but in someones house there will be no social distancing in the majority of cases.

6 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Following the rule of 6 and not having parties won't make a difference in the grand scheme of things, with schools and universities open, this virus will spread, you can't halt it. Passing the blame back onto the public is a ridiculous thing to do, even if everyone followed all the rules 24/7, it would still spread.

Exactly.

The people complaining are the first to talk up how infectious the disease is, but are happy to say it's the fault of 'selfish b*stards' that we're experiencing a second wave. 

Did people really just start being selfish b*stards all of a sudden or is it something bigger, like schools opening again? 

It's obviously going to spread, and all the signs are that it's much less deadly and the health service is much more prepared for it.

Our only concern should be any impending lockdown because the virus doesn't realistically cause us all that many issues at this point. 

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

I’m intrigued why we aren’t trying the stuff that we know works before going into a full blown lockdown.

The 2 metre rule for example, with or without a mask reduces circulation of this virus. Why hasn’t it been reintroduced? 

We know it barely transmits outside, so why are we banning outdoor meetings? People would be less tempted to break rules and meet indoors then. 

Nothing makes sense, the government blew it over the summer when they should’ve been making plans for an increase of infections and now they’re crapping the bed. Instead all we got was an exams fiasco and ‘normal by Christmas’. Such infuriating incompetence. 

Their policy is to shift blame on to the population. One look at Twitter and it's working. Most used phrase must be 'selfish b*stards'. 

Policy isn't about doing what's best, it's about what absolves blame. They want the conclusion of the whole thing to be that they tried to do the right thing, but people didn't follow the guidelines and so they are to blame. 

I'm the first to criticise, but I think one massive thing to learn from this is that (and maybe I'm giving them too much credit here), if there was genuinely a huge threat to the population, the government might strategise their moves based on what the population needs. I think privately their stance is still to continue as normal as there's little threat, but they know that won't wash at this point. 

Everything they do now is with public perception firmly in mind. If that means locking down because demand dictates, so be it. So be it, even if it causes more long term harm.

Edited by Nod.E

It is clear the demand has increased since the schools went back.  What should've happened is prioritising the children, teachers, families for tests. If they'd said back in mid-July, for example- "Right, schools are back on the 7th of September, school families take priority, even separate test centres where possible, we can aim to control the spread there". They'd have had seven/ eight weeks to prepare, the public know and can get used to it.

The two weeks, if it comes in, needs to be used to decide how they proceed, what the main issues are and how they can be managed.

'729 new ARI incidents have been reported in week 37 (Figure 19):
• 313 incidents were from care homes where 228 had at least one linked case that tested
positive for SARS-CoV-2
• 18 incidents were from hospitals where 13 had at least one linked case that tested positive for SARS-CoV-2
• 193 incidents were from educational settings where 110 had at least one linked case that
tested positive for SARS-CoV-2
• 4 incidents were from prisons where 3 had at least one linked case that tested positive for
SARS-CoV-2
• 110 incidents were from workplace settings where 92 had at least one linked case that
tested positive for SARS-CoV-2
• 34 incidents were from food outlet/restaurant settings where 25 had at least one linked
case that tested positive for SARS-CoV-2
• 57 incidents were from the other settings category where 39 had at least one linked case
that tested positive for SARS-CoV-2'

This look like it's hardly spreading in homes, more schools, workplaces and care homes.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/919092/Weekly_COVID19_Surveillance_Report_week_38_FINAL.pdf

Add in the 30% where COVID wasn't the underlying cause of death.

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/death-certificate-data-covid-19-as-the-underlying-cause-of-death/

Fully on board with blaming the public to an extent. The amount of people I see not wearing masks on public transport is shockingly large. I reckon there were more people not wearing masks than we wearing them on the train yesterday, and it was pretty busy. If people aren't adhering to that, they're probably not adhering to less visible measures either.

Of course, I don't think the government has helped with nonsense like telling people to go back to work, testing needs sorting, and the Cummings thing undermined everything but the public has got to take responsibility and, whilst there's an element of selection bias involved, from what I've seen too many aren't. If everyone does the simple things then we can avoid the worst of measures returning.

"It is our duty to look after ourselves and then also to help look after our neighbour and life is a reciprocal business and people have got the entitlements too much in mind without the obligations.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Yes smoke.

People’s lifestyle choices have not helped them at all.

But it’s not an infectious transmission. 

Just disagree with cancer being used as a comparison when it can be a sad case of luck or family history 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

2 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Fully on board with blaming the public to an extent. The amount of people I see not wearing masks on public transport is shockingly large. I reckon there were more people not wearing masks than we wearing them on the train yesterday, and it was pretty busy. If people aren't adhering to that, they're probably not adhering to less visible measures either.

Of course, I don't think the government has helped with nonsense like telling people to go back to work, testing needs sorting, and the Cummings thing undermined everything but the public has got to take responsibility and, whilst there's an element of selection bias involved, from what I've seen too many aren't. If everyone does the simple things then we can avoid the worst of measures returning.

"It is our duty to look after ourselves and then also to help look after our neighbour and life is a reciprocal business and people have got the entitlements too much in mind without the obligations.”

Of course the public are to blame- we're all part of it. But out of 60 million people, how many really have been blase, careless, stupid, senseless etc? I'd imagine that well over 75% have been responsible, compliant, sensible and frankly I resent being told that I'm part of the problem. The public are to blame for the rise in cases and also to blame for demand for tests? 

I will comply with whatever measures are in place because it's the right thing to do but I'm not accepting the public as one are to blame, politicians haven't been angels themselves either.

• Like 1