Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

I think they will probably reduce opening times of places where contact is more likely. So Gyms, pubs, bars etc to begin with and then possibly an enforced local lock down during half term? And then when Christmas comes I can see all hospitality being shut for anything other than take outs and gyms etc being shut. Christmas will be the important period due to the potential for people to let go and enjoy the booze too much, so I would not be at all surprised if all pubs, bars and restaurants are forced to close.

They won't want to force anything to shut if they don't have to, but the pressure applied from "experts" may force their hands. It will be a very interesting period, and there wont really be any immediate change until a vaccine has been produced in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

By that logic all of our heads are on the block to an extent. Just ask the other 59 million that will have died this year.

That is correct, yes. Our lives are riddled with risks of varying kinds.

My point, for the sake of clarity, is that the inference that Covid adds no or infinitesimal risk to peoples lives in general ("no one's head is no the block") is clearly incorrect and likely based on the viewpoint of someone for whom the risk does only increase slightly - and even then there is an increase in risk rather than none, if only small.

Whether the eventual risk-cost analysis of doing what most of the world is doing right now is better or worse than opening up and letting things take their course is a question no one can answer satisfactorily now and showing certainty on the matter is a clear sign of someone talking utter horse elbows, IMO.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Whether the eventual risk-cost analysis of doing what most of the world is doing right now is better or worse than opening up and letting things take their course is a question no one can answer satisfactorily now and showing certainty on the matter is a clear sign of someone talking utter horse elbows, IMO.

I would agree with that - with the added inference that people who talk with certainty that lockdown is definitely the right thing to do are just as reckless as those who talk with certainty that it is wrong.

24 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

I would agree with that - with the added inference that people who talk with certainty that lockdown is definitely the right thing to do are just as reckless as those who talk with certainty that it is wrong.

I don't disagree - my thoughts are, as they have been for some time, when things are as uncertain as this, the most risk averse pathway is likely the best one until more reliable information comes to light.

With all the negative news at the moment, I haven’t heard anything in regards to people catching it multiple times for a while, which has got to be taken as a positive. I’d expect if it was possible and prevalent then we’d be hearing a lot about it.

Guest Harrydc

So Boris Johnson is making an announcement tomorrow, and I feel he's most likely going to close pubs again. 

For me personally, because after all this I feel as though it's time to think of myself for once, I don't know how I'll get through it. 

I'm a student, currently living in accommodation. My lectures have already been moved online, however the only positive aspect of signing the contract for this accommodation was the fact I have my bar job to go back to which is starting at the end of the week. I'm relying on this job for rent, food and general living expenses. 

At the moment I fear the people of this country will feel as though they are simply existing and not living. I've had enough of it and it's time to get on with our lives. 

Edited by Harrydc

25 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

So Boris Johnson is making an announcement tomorrow, and I feel he's most likely going to close pubs again. 

For me personally, because after all this I feel as though it's time to think of myself for once, I don't know how I'll get through it. 

I'm a student, currently living in accommodation. My lectures have already been moved online, however the only positive aspect of signing the contract for this accommodation was the fact I have my bar job to go back to which is starting at the end of the week. I'm relying on this job for rent, food and general living expenses. 

At the moment I fear the people of this country will feel as though they are simply existing and not living. I've had enough of it and it's time to get on with our lives. 

Mate, I worked through all of lockdown in a shop. It was ****ing dull just going to work and then just staying at home, but it was necessary. At the end of the day, if the science is saying it might be necessary again then so be it. You think the tories of all people are excited to have people on furlough? Not a chance. So if they're considering that as an option they must have a pretty decent rationale for it. Yeah, I miss going to the football, miss going to gigs, but if most of this country can't function without going to the pub or a restaurant then something is inherently wrong with us. It's never going to be easy, but the right decisions seldom are. 

Edit - I'm not making an argument for lockdown, or against lockdown. It's above my pay grade, but if the scientists are arguing it will be necessary, it's wise to follow it. I know there's a lot of really 'intelligent' people in our society who call masks 'muzzles' and won't get vaccines because they don't trust them, but for as intellectually gifted as these fine specimens are, I'll trust the scientists who have spent years on their craft. Not to say that you're an antivaxxer or anything like that obviously. 

Edited by BrokenRecord

1 minute ago, BrokenRecord said:

Mate, I worked through all of lockdown in a shop. It was ****ing dull just going to work and then just staying at home, but it was necessary. At the end of the day, if the science is saying it might be necessary again then so be it. You think the tories of all people are excited to have people on furlough? Not a chance. So if they're considering that as an option they must have a pretty decent rationale for it. Yeah, I miss going to the football, miss going to gigs, but if most of this country can't function without going to the pub or a restaurant then something is inherently wrong with us. It's never going to be easy, but the right decisions seldom are. 

I've not been paying attention, is this on the table again?  I've been assuming a 2nd lockdown would be sans furlough this time, partly for the public purse, partly so the public can be blamed for demanding the economy be reopened again.

Closing pubs all together will just punish the establishments who have done their best to follow guidelines. Add restrictions, within reason, but keep them open. Where are people having these parties? Because it ain't in any pub I've seen. 

Some pubs are not being as strict but then someone needs to be checking and fining them? Interesting whether restaurants are included as it's easier it give customer details and ensure table service. 

If schools are thought to be the main reason for spreading the surely something need to be done with them? Probably be a logistical nightmare for schools and parents but can you run a two week school timetable where 3 year groups in one week then the others next. Will at least limit numbers but I don't know if it makes teaching possible. 

Doesn't seem to be many cases in nurseries, my toddler been back since June and not a single case been reported so far yet at least 3 schools near it have reported a case or two in last couple of weeks.

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

I've not been paying attention, is this on the table again?  I've been assuming a 2nd lockdown would be sans furlough this time, partly for the public purse, partly so the public can be blamed for demanding the economy be reopened again.

I'm not sure, but I can't imagine they would get away with putting people out of work and not offering any kind of income supportb at all. 

4 hours ago, simFox said:

Where do you think you might be, in the que to get one? Let's say it passed on Wednesday, you should get your shot by what, week Thursday?

It would at the very least provide comfort to the economy. Middle-term and short-term investments would be far more secure. As soon as we get news of a compliant, operating vaccine, I think the more business linked sectors will get a boost. 

Guest Harrydc
7 minutes ago, BrokenRecord said:

Edit - I'm not making an argument for lockdown, or against lockdown. It's above my pay grade, but if the scientists are arguing it will be necessary, it's wise to follow it. I know there's a lot of really 'intelligent' people in our society who call masks 'muzzles' and won't get vaccines because they don't trust them, but for as intellectually gifted as these fine specimens are, I'll trust the scientists who have spent years on their craft. Not to say that you're an antivaxxer or anything like that obviously. 

My point is I work in a pub not that I want to go in a pub. I need the money 

4 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Really? Who? 

Have you any idea what this logistically involves? 

I don't know who, and I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why it's impossible. We have mystery shoppers for most customer service businesses so why not have covid mystery shoppers lol who can report to local authorities. Plenty of people out to work who would do it..

Hancock mentions “saving Christmas” what a load of nonsense, he’d dangling a carrot to make people behave, there is no way Christmas will be saved, round and round we will go until a vaccine is found.

At least there were only 11 deaths, very sad for those 11 but it’s a small amount

Edited by Mark 'expert' Lawrenson

6 hours ago, bovril said:

"Prof Sunetra Gupta says allowing young and healthy people to be exposed over the winter will be of benefit in the years to come."

Is she going to volunteer? I've seen healthy friends and family members suffer nasty long-term effects of this virus to think it's probably best not to let it pass unchecked through the population. 

Not enough time has passed to assess long term effects surely?

7 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I don't know who, and I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why it's impossible. We have mystery shoppers for most customer service businesses so why not have covid mystery shoppers lol who can report to local authorities. Plenty of people out to work who would do it..

It could be arranged - but again the logistical requirements would be huge. I think that the very threat of such spot checks and the possibility of the public informing authorities of irresponsible or illegal practice would hopefully be an adequate deterrent moving forward. 

Guest Harrydc
14 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Start looking for new work.  The services industry is crumbling so if I were you I wouldn't assume that role is in any way secure.

The service industry is crumbling? If this industry crumbles it'll put millions of people out of work. It would be disaster. 

28 minutes ago, BrokenRecord said:

My mother never turned down a vaccine because she didn't trust it, but she did turn down one popular drug.  My brother was born in 1959 and my mother had severe morning sickness - so severe that the doctor prescribed her this wonderful anti-morning sickness drug called thalidomide.  But she had then, and still does have, a strong anti-drug prejudice and she didn't take it.

The scientists may be more intellectually gifted than her, perhaps; but that doesn't mean they were perfect.

I'll proabably take my chance with a vaccine - though I doubt I'll be first in the queue - but only because I believe they are probably all right and I'm sick of being trapped or even semi-trapped.  I'm not very sociable and the current position is OK for me, though my mother's getting pretty depressed, but if we go back into lockdown and visiting the shops only if you can prove it's necessary, and with no plans ever to get back to normal, then I have had enough.

57 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

And this is the attitude that has got us to the brink of a second lockdown.

If people followed guidelines and advice, it might not have come to this.

From my experience, a lot of younger people seem to think they can do what they want, like they're immune.