filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

29 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Also, anyone else just have graph-blindness/numbness? Far too many out there and I just switch off a little when you see so many graphs explaining the same problem.

(I don't have a solution other than graphs)

I’m more interested in seeing a graph comparing Coronavirus cases of students in halls/std cases of students in halls. I think that would tell a story.

Edited by yorkie1999
26 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Also, anyone else just have graph-blindness/numbness? Far too many out there and I just switch off a little when you see so many graphs explaining the same problem.

(I don't have a solution other than graphs)

Stephanie-Graf.png

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
23 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Have they actually said how long this is going to last? That's the worst bit for me, what if we haven't got a vaccine by next June/July, do we just keep doing the same thing in the hope of eventually getting one? At what point do we say enough is enough, that's what I'd like to know, an end in sight rather than the prospect of more lockdowns, more businesses shutting down and more of the unknown.

They haven't and there's not a chance even this government would nail their colours to the mast on saying how long it will last. No-one really knows. They all go on about 'beating' the virus but I think this is part of the problem. I don't think it can ever be beaten, at least not for a very long time. I think we have to learn to live with it for now until a vaccine is found. Only then can they perhaps start to consider living in a non-lockdown way. 

What would give me more clarity - and I'm not sure it's been publicised/announced - is how cities get out of each tier, or not be in any tier at all. What gives a city/town/county the green light to open up a bit more, be a bit more free? Does it have to reach 0 cases in that area for a certain amount of time? What's the threshold to come out of lockdown? That would give me, and perhaps several others, a bit more hope and positivity about the situation. At the moment it's all a bit doom and gloom still about what happens if it goes the other way and getting up to Tier 3 which no-one at all wants. I'd also like lots more consistency - several towns in the North-East went in to lockdown or tighter restrictions but Nottingham's cases shot up and saw nothing of that ilk.

28 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I'm not entirely sure how true this is.

Listened to Steve Rotherham speaking and he seemed to acknowledge that there was an issue with Liverpool, didn't particularly want a lockdown - but if happened, wanted to get the best outcome possible for his area.

I don't really think that there anything wrong with anything in that, tbh.   

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

That just isn't true, you have completely made that up. Lockdown was introduced in March, and the peak was in April. Seriously, where do you get this shit from that you continue to post, day after day?

https://covid19.who.int/region/euro/country/gb

The lockdown was brought in on March 23rd.  Two weeks later the peak had just about passed.  At least, that is what the graph shows here.

This doesn't take into account earlier cases pre March.  There is evidence to show this all started back in November so it is perceivable the peak could have happened sooner before lockdown occurred.  We'll never know though, the data isn't there as it wasn't formally recorded until this graph started Feb/March.  At least, I can't find a source for it.

I think for my previous point you refer to, perhaps me stating the peak occurred before lockdown began was a little hasty, although not inconceivable considering cases were found to be around as early as November, but it isn't the sole reason for the drop as govt want people to believe.  Certainly they're using similar reasoning now with their restrictions, and they appear not to be working as the seasonal change is against them. 

20201012_203534.jpg

5 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

The lockdown was brought in on March 23rd.  Two weeks later the peak had just about passed.  At least, that is what the graph shows here.

This doesn't take into account earlier cases pre March.  There is evidence to show this all started back in November so it is perceivable the peak could have happened sooner before lockdown occurred.  We'll never know though, the data isn't there as it wasn't formally recorded until this graph started Feb/March.  At least, I can't find a source for it.

I think for my previous point you refer to, perhaps me stating the peak occurred before lockdown began was a little hasty, although not inconceivable considering cases were found to be around as early as November, but it isn't the sole reason for the drop as govt want people to believe.  Certainly they're using similar reasoning now with their restrictions, and they appear not to be working as the seasonal change is against them. 

20201012_203534.jpg

So you've now moved from 'it happened' to 'it is perceivable'. So, not fact any more, just your opinion... Sigh.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, martyn said:

Been invited to participate in then Stage 3 Imperial College vaccine trial.

Got to decide tonight whether to take one for the team in the name of medical science.

Ooh, exciting...

What does it involve - what are the risks/possible side effects? How long is it for, and are you let loose, or kept under observation?

Cool thing to say you have done (save mankind)...unless you pop your clogs or grow three heads, or something  

1 minute ago, Milo said:

Ooh, exciting...

What does it involve - what are the risks/possible side effects? How long is it for, and are you let loose, or kept under observation?

Cool thing to say you have done (save mankind)...unless you pop your clogs or grow three heads, or something  

I'm not entirely sure yet.

Over the next couple of days they're doing the health screening, so would have to get past that first before receiving any vaccine. They give you an information sheet at the screening which i guess covers everything.

It's the Imperial Vaccine - Stage 3.

Just now, martyn said:

Over the next couple of days they're doing the health screening, so would have to get past that first before receiving any vaccine. They give you an information sheet at the screening which i guess covers everything.

I've taken one for the team for a lot less than saving the human race   :ph34r:

Good luck with your decision. Great to be asked.   

2 minutes ago, martyn said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.amp.html

This link should give you a decent idea of what will potentially happen. You'll be screened for any potential conditions, then likely infected with an inactivated or mild strain of Covid. You'll be tested with either the vaccine or a placebo and monitored to see how you develop. 

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.amp.html

This link should give you a decent idea of what will potentially happen. You'll be screened for any potential conditions, then likely infected with an inactivated or mild strain of Covid. You'll be tested with either the vaccine or a placebo and monitored to see how you develop. 

The Imperial vaccine is an RNA one - so you get injected with a synthetic version of the spike protein, rather than inactive virus.

Edited by martyn
22 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

So you've now moved from 'it happened' to 'it is perceivable'. So, not fact any more, just your opinion... Sigh.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-52935644

If you believe in absolutes that this all started on Feb 28th, and that the peak happened roughly 20 days after lockdown, then so be it.

I'm taking an open minded view on it.

Whatever the course of action from here, the govt has to tread carefully.  

If they were really concerned about figures, then come down extremely harshly.  They still aren't doing that.  Much of what they are saying today is guidance, rather than law.  I see Wales are furious he hasn't gone further with his restrictions.

Of course, one could argue if he goes full lockdown, with the seasons against him, and with figures continuing to rise, he's lost the plot.  Better to tinker, and then blame when it doesn't go right.

3 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-52935644

If you believe in absolutes that this all started on Feb 28th, and that the peak happened roughly 20 days after lockdown, then so be it.

I'm taking an open minded view on it.

Whatever the course of action from here, the govt has to tread carefully.  

If they were really concerned about figures, then come down extremely harshly.  They still aren't doing that.  Much of what they are saying today is guidance, rather than law.  I see Wales are furious he hasn't gone further with his restrictions.

Of course, one could argue if he goes full lockdown, with the seasons against him, and with figures continuing to rise, he's lost the plot.  Better to tinker, and then blame when it doesn't go right.

What are you talking about now? lol So we're moving the goalposts? Now we've moved to when it started, yet that wasn't mentioned before, so I haven't given an opinion on it. The link you have posted has nothing to do with the peak, which was the issue I had with your post as you know. You stated as fact that the peak had passed before we went into lockdown. It hadn't, at least not according to the World Health Organisation. You keep whatever 'minded' view on it you like, but please, please, don't post outright lies as if they were facts. 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

What are you talking about now? lol So we're moving the goalposts? Now we've moved to when it started, yet that wasn't mentioned before, so I haven't given an opinion on it. The link you have posted has nothing to do with the peak, which was the issue I had with your post as you know. You stated as fact that the peak had passed before we went into lockdown. It hadn't, at least not according to the World Health Organisation. You keep whatever 'minded' view on it you like, but please, please, don't post outright lies as if they were facts. 

:rolleyes:  

So, according to professor whitty, even after giving a presentation on the latest measures,  the strictest lockdown is not enough to halt the virus. Crazy. Who actually says something like This is what we’re going to do, but it’s not enough!!!’

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

So, according to professor whitty, even after giving a presentation on the latest measures,  the strictest lockdown is not enough to halt the virus. Crazy. Who actually says something like This is what we’re going to do, but it’s not enough!!!’

He’s a medic - it’s what he believes .....I’d rather he told us what he believes rather than what the politicians tell us to believe ! 

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

He’s a medic - it’s what he believes .....I’d rather he told us what he believes rather than what the politicians tell us to believe ! 

So what your saying is he’s saying what he’s been told to say, and then saying what he thinks he should say.

3 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

If they go in harder, and it doesn't work, they've got problems.

One of the Oxford scientists has suggested taking a 4 week break over Xmas.  If they can get to Xmas tinkering around the edges, I think they'll push for that.

A full lockdown will not work at this point in the calendar year.  They won't say it, but they must have discussed it.

2 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

If they go in harder, and it doesn't work, they've got problems.

One of the Oxford scientists has suggested taking a 4 week break over Xmas.  If they can get to Xmas tinkering around the edges, I think they'll push for that.

A full lockdown will not work at this point in the calendar year.  They won't say it, but they must have discussed it.

Rumours tonight that SAGE pushed for a ‘circuit break’ two weeks ago but Sunak strongly argued against it. 

9 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Rumours tonight that SAGE pushed for a ‘circuit break’ two weeks ago but Sunak strongly argued against it. 

Whitty seemed a little off tonight imo.  He normally comes across as a cool customer but he seemed flustered to me.  Any updates on restrictions in certain MPs constituencies?  The politics is beginning to run the show.