Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 minute ago, Milo said:

Ooh, exciting...

What does it involve - what are the risks/possible side effects? How long is it for, and are you let loose, or kept under observation?

Cool thing to say you have done (save mankind)...unless you pop your clogs or grow three heads, or something  

I'm not entirely sure yet.

Over the next couple of days they're doing the health screening, so would have to get past that first before receiving any vaccine. They give you an information sheet at the screening which i guess covers everything.

It's the Imperial Vaccine - Stage 3.

Just now, martyn said:

Over the next couple of days they're doing the health screening, so would have to get past that first before receiving any vaccine. They give you an information sheet at the screening which i guess covers everything.

I've taken one for the team for a lot less than saving the human race   :ph34r:

Good luck with your decision. Great to be asked.   

2 minutes ago, martyn said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.amp.html

This link should give you a decent idea of what will potentially happen. You'll be screened for any potential conditions, then likely infected with an inactivated or mild strain of Covid. You'll be tested with either the vaccine or a placebo and monitored to see how you develop. 

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.amp.html

This link should give you a decent idea of what will potentially happen. You'll be screened for any potential conditions, then likely infected with an inactivated or mild strain of Covid. You'll be tested with either the vaccine or a placebo and monitored to see how you develop. 

The Imperial vaccine is an RNA one - so you get injected with a synthetic version of the spike protein, rather than inactive virus.

Edited by martyn

22 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

So you've now moved from 'it happened' to 'it is perceivable'. So, not fact any more, just your opinion... Sigh.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-52935644

If you believe in absolutes that this all started on Feb 28th, and that the peak happened roughly 20 days after lockdown, then so be it.

I'm taking an open minded view on it.

Whatever the course of action from here, the govt has to tread carefully.  

If they were really concerned about figures, then come down extremely harshly.  They still aren't doing that.  Much of what they are saying today is guidance, rather than law.  I see Wales are furious he hasn't gone further with his restrictions.

Of course, one could argue if he goes full lockdown, with the seasons against him, and with figures continuing to rise, he's lost the plot.  Better to tinker, and then blame when it doesn't go right.

3 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-52935644

If you believe in absolutes that this all started on Feb 28th, and that the peak happened roughly 20 days after lockdown, then so be it.

I'm taking an open minded view on it.

Whatever the course of action from here, the govt has to tread carefully.  

If they were really concerned about figures, then come down extremely harshly.  They still aren't doing that.  Much of what they are saying today is guidance, rather than law.  I see Wales are furious he hasn't gone further with his restrictions.

Of course, one could argue if he goes full lockdown, with the seasons against him, and with figures continuing to rise, he's lost the plot.  Better to tinker, and then blame when it doesn't go right.

What are you talking about now? lol So we're moving the goalposts? Now we've moved to when it started, yet that wasn't mentioned before, so I haven't given an opinion on it. The link you have posted has nothing to do with the peak, which was the issue I had with your post as you know. You stated as fact that the peak had passed before we went into lockdown. It hadn't, at least not according to the World Health Organisation. You keep whatever 'minded' view on it you like, but please, please, don't post outright lies as if they were facts. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

What are you talking about now? lol So we're moving the goalposts? Now we've moved to when it started, yet that wasn't mentioned before, so I haven't given an opinion on it. The link you have posted has nothing to do with the peak, which was the issue I had with your post as you know. You stated as fact that the peak had passed before we went into lockdown. It hadn't, at least not according to the World Health Organisation. You keep whatever 'minded' view on it you like, but please, please, don't post outright lies as if they were facts. 

:rolleyes:  

2 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

So, according to professor whitty, even after giving a presentation on the latest measures,  the strictest lockdown is not enough to halt the virus. Crazy. Who actually says something like This is what we’re going to do, but it’s not enough!!!’

He’s a medic - it’s what he believes .....I’d rather he told us what he believes rather than what the politicians tell us to believe ! 

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

He’s a medic - it’s what he believes .....I’d rather he told us what he believes rather than what the politicians tell us to believe ! 

So what your saying is he’s saying what he’s been told to say, and then saying what he thinks he should say.

3 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

So, according to professor whitty, even after giving a presentation on the latest measures,  the strictest lockdown is not enough to halt the virus. Crazy. Who actually says something like This is what we’re going to do, but it’s not enough!!!’

If they go in harder, and it doesn't work, they've got problems.

One of the Oxford scientists has suggested taking a 4 week break over Xmas.  If they can get to Xmas tinkering around the edges, I think they'll push for that.

A full lockdown will not work at this point in the calendar year.  They won't say it, but they must have discussed it.

2 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

One of the Oxford scientists has suggested taking a 4 week break over Xmas.  If they can get to Xmas tinkering around the edges, I think they'll push for that.

A full lockdown will not work at this point in the calendar year.  They won't say it, but they must have discussed it.

Rumours tonight that SAGE pushed for a ‘circuit break’ two weeks ago but Sunak strongly argued against it. 

9 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Rumours tonight that SAGE pushed for a ‘circuit break’ two weeks ago but Sunak strongly argued against it. 

Whitty seemed a little off tonight imo.  He normally comes across as a cool customer but he seemed flustered to me.  Any updates on restrictions in certain MPs constituencies?  The politics is beginning to run the show.  

6 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

But this is a medic telling us these things, not a politician, his perspective must be from a medical point of view, not an economical one and what he is actually doing is accepting a further increase in deaths until a time when there is some sort of control at a later period. By delaying a lockdown till Xmas when people will be on holiday he is betraying his position.

7 hours ago, AjcW said:

A bit of Nottingham context as someone who lives there, every single one of those areas listed is University Accom/Student Flat based apart from St Annes so i'd say that data is pretty spot on for showing the student return was the issue. Even St Anne's depending on the boundary they've drawn contains a great deal of shared housing (large properties converted into multi occupancy) 

1.5k positive cases at University of Nottingham over the last week,according to my daughter.

My daughter lives in Lenton.One girl fell ill for 2 days,all self isolated and told to test.All 5 positive.No one else really felt ill at all.

Spreads like wildfire that’s for sure.

Noticed a few stories about students being fined £10,000 for hosting house parties. I get the need to dissuade this behaviour but £10,000 seems ridiculously high to me. I presume it would end up being lowered drastically or even staggered with very long payment plans.
Or with it being a criminal fixed penalty, would they just have to pay it all up front or face prosecution?

2 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

Noticed a few stories about students being fined £10,000 for hosting house parties. I get the need to dissuade this behaviour but £10,000 seems ridiculously high to me. I presume it would end up being lowered drastically or even staggered with very long payment plans.
Or with it being a criminal fixed penalty, would they just have to pay it all up front or face prosecution?

Asking for a friend :ph34r:

13 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

I get the need to dissuade this behaviour but £10,000 seems ridiculously high to me.

It is. Until you understand that some young lad was already fined £10k for a house party, it was literally plastered on every news site and it still didn't deter these 3 from hosting a 100+ person party. :doh:

44 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

It is. Until you understand that some young lad was already fined £10k for a house party, it was literally plastered on every news site and it still didn't deter these 3 from hosting a 100+ person party. :doh:

And at a point in time when they were showing symptoms. Wouldn't be surprised if they end up being kicked out of uni as well.