Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Just now, WigstonWanderer said:

Haha, did you get caught trying to edit your post and accidentally pressed the quote button? Done it myself many times. Just can’t get used to the new format where the edit button is buried.

Exactly that, only wanted to fix a typo. Sure we'll get used to it...

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

This government probably would, let's be honest.

They gave a billion pound ferry contract to a company with no boats.

This all reminds me of a classic Yes Minister episode where they were congratulation themselves about a miraculously well run hospital with plenty of beds, state of the art equipment... yet no patients. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

This government probably would, let's be honest.

They gave a billion pound ferry contract to a company with no boats.

Most such contracts are given to companies with no boats, or no spare boats.  The usual way is to get the contract first and then get the boats to run it.  It's the same with train companies, with bus route tenders, with any form of contract - if you want to expand your business you get the work first and the means of transport later.

The government deserved loads of stick on that contract for awarding it to a company that couldn't do it.  That's the issue.  The boats were a red herring.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I'm sure this government and governments the world over had no idea this was coming.

I just find it interesting that the money is available for furlough/grants etc. and wondered what would have happened if it had been spent beforehand on hospitals, infrastructure and staff that would have had the capacity to cope with the pandemic.

It's a shit ton of money currently being given out and at the end we'll have nothing to show for it.

We will have higher taxes and lower public spending to show for it.

2 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Most such contracts are given to companies with no boats, or no spare boats.  The usual way is to get the contract first and then get the boats to run it.  It's the same with train companies, with bus route tenders, with any form of contract - if you want to expand your business you get the work first and the means of transport later.

The government deserved loads of stick on that contract for awarding it to a company that couldn't do it.  That's the issue.  The boats were a red herring.

I worked for a bus company for years, we had to at least prove the vehicles were on order when making the bid for the tender, and they would arrive before the contract started.

Guest Harrydc

It seriously baffles me how people have so much trust in mainstream news sites such as the BBC and SkyNews. Who is too say they are reliable and telling the truth? People just listen to everything being said without questioning. Has no one got a mind of their own?

1 minute ago, Harrydc said:

It seriously baffles me how people have so much trust in mainstream news sites such as the BBC and SkyNews. Who is too say they are reliable and telling the truth? People just listen to everything being said without questioning. Has no one got a mind of their own?

What are you referring to in this case?

56 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I agree they've handled it well in the circumstances.

My point being that all the measure put in place are designed to prevent NHS over capacity. My hypothesis just wondered what would have happened if we already did have the capacity to let the virus run it's course without the need for restrictions, furlough, grants, handouts, redundancies etc. at the cost of hundreds of billions.

Just seems sad that we'll have spent all this money and have nothing to show for it at the end.

Anyway, ignore me. I'm spouting shit as always :D

No it's a valid point and one worth bearing in mind come the next election.  If there was the capacity to throw this much money at our problems, why didn't we already have better NHS funding?  Why are so many people reliant on foodbanks instead of receiving adequate government assistance?  Why were we being told that there still wasn't enough money and there'd be even more years of Tory austerity not long before the crisis hit and we started throwing billions at every existing business as well as some shady and hastily thrown together new ones (which will no doubt become the new reason for austerity)?  I'm glad they've pulled their fingers out and helped but while we keep electing governments focused on short-term gains for the well-connected at the cost of long term benefits for the country we'll keep finding ourselves asking this question.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Who would you deem more reliable?

Covid is the single most deadliest illness known in our life time. It is a fact, the rate of spread and the death toll incurred, in the time period for which it has been active has been catastrophic. Arguing against such data is is just stupid. It's direct result of human negligence towards illnesses and has been warned against by world health organisations for some time, yet chosen to be ignored by some sections of humanity. It will take a huge toll on us as race and our short term capacity to function normally. The real question is how did this happen in this century?  

Guest Harrydc
2 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Covid is the single most deadliest illness known in our life time. It is a fact, the rate of spread and the death toll incurred, in the time period for which it has been active has been catastrophic. Arguing against such data is is just stupid. It's direct result of human negligence towards illnesses and has been warned against by world health organisations for some time, yet chosen to be ignored by some sections of humanity. It will take a huge toll on us as race and our short term capacity to function normally. The real question is how did this happen in this century?  

There are an average of 9.6 million cancer deaths worldwide per year. How can you say this is the deadliest illness in our lifetime? 

19 hours ago, AjcW said:

A bit of Nottingham context as someone who lives there, every single one of those areas listed is University Accom/Student Flat based apart from St Annes so i'd say that data is pretty spot on for showing the student return was the issue. Even St Anne's depending on the boundary they've drawn contains a great deal of shared housing (large properties converted into multi occupancy) 

University of Nottingham are running their own Asymptomatic testing programme so the numbers aren’t exactly comparable to other areas

4 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

There are an average of 9.6 million cancer deaths worldwide per year. How can you say this is the deadliest illness in our lifetime? 

In terms of the spread rate and death toll in the time period it has been active. Cancer is a separate issue altogether as it’s a common disease amongst the human race. Covid is a new illness which has exploded leaving a trail of catastrophe everywhere. It has shattered economies, ended lives changed laws and stopped life in its tracks. Taking into consideration the fact it has both directly and indirectly had an impact on everything, it would suggest it is the deadliest illness within our lifetime. I’m not turning this is to a pissing contest, I’m merely trying to explain how I think it has impacted the world.

3 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Absolute nonsense, yet again

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsduetocoronaviruscovid19comparedwithdeathsfrominfluenzaandpneumoniaenglandandwales/deathsoccurringbetween1januaryand31august2020

• Of all death occurrences between January and August 2020, there were 48,168 deaths due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) compared with 13,619 deaths due to pneumonia and 394 deaths due to influenza.
  • Influenza and pneumonia was mentioned on more death certificates than COVID-19, however COVID-19 was the underlying cause of death in over three times as many deaths between January and August 2020.
  • The highest number of deaths due to influenza and pneumonia occurred in January 2020, however influenza and pneumonia deaths were below the five-year average (2015 to 2019) in every month.
  • Deaths due to COVID-19 were higher than deaths due to influenza and pneumonia between March and June.
  • Age-standardised and age-specific mortality rates for deaths due to COVID-19 were statistically significantly higher than mortality rates due to influenza and pneumonia when compared with the five-year average and 2020 rates.
  • The proportion of deaths occurring in care homes due to COVID-19 was almost double the proportion of deaths due to influenza and pneumonia (30.0% and 15.2% respectively).
  • In comparison with the deaths due to influenza and pneumonia occurring in the year to 31 August 2020, deaths due to COVID-19 have been higher than every year monthly data are available (1959 to 2020).

Statistician's comment

“More than three times as many deaths were recorded between January and August this year where COVID-19 was the underlying cause compared to influenza and pneumonia."

“The mortality rate for COVID-19 is also significantly higher than influenza and pneumonia rates for both 2020 and the five-year average."

“Since 1959, which is when ONS monthly death records began, the number of deaths due to influenza and pneumonia in the first eight months of every year have been lower than the number of COVID-19 deaths seen, so far, in 2020.”

whilst we were at the height of the pandemic , yes, covid deaths were massively more than influenza,  but not at the moment, I feel I need to make something clear,  I am not a covid denier, it is a very nasty illness and if  you are old or have pre existing health issues, is very dangerous and potentially fatal, but influenza is killing more people at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

****ing insane isn't it......

It looks like it’s insane right ?

if you looked at it front on as opposed to a side angle, I’d imagine it would look far more sane…

I’m not suggesting it was a great idea…. I am definitely implying the photographer found the most ‘dramatic’ angle…

12 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

It looks like it’s insane right ?

if you looked at it front on as opposed to a side angle, I’d imagine it would look far more sane…

I’m not suggesting it was a great idea…. I am definitely implying the photographer found the most ‘dramatic’ angle…

Nah still looks insane 

20201013_114926.jpg.3342efb2dccc1a2809432c0a04dd8cfb.jpg

20201013_114914.jpg.342bb0ca4ad1dca9d7109a8acbbd9ce5.jpg

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, joachim1965 said:

whilst we were at the height of the pandemic , yes, covid deaths were massively more than influenza,  but not at the moment, I feel I need to make something clear,  I am not a covid denier, it is a very nasty illness and if  you are old or have pre existing health issues, is very dangerous and potentially fatal, but influenza is killing more people at the moment.

Where is the data for this? The ONS has only reported up to August 2020, and this was released 5 days ago as posted above. 

• Like 1