Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

12 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

This is the bit I find perplexing

Given the fact that Covid has essentially knackered the economy who in Government in their right mind would be trying to sensationalise the number of new positive results? Who and why?

Boris addresses the nation again tomorrow apparently. I wonder if lock down 3 is coming? Surely that would be the last thing the government would want?

This is it.  For me if there's any conspiracy it's how reluctant our government were to take early drastic measures to avoid upsetting business interests, not forcing us into shutdown.  That and the handing out of govt contracts.

8 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

The bloke who’s on a pound a positive test bonus would.

Are you taking the piss or is this a genuine accusation?  So hard to tell these days.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

All locations UK wide are currently experiencing less hospital admissions in critical care beds than they have averaged over the last 3 years.

image-2-2.png

The problem has not been addressed sufficiently over the past 3 to 5 years.  As soon as the numbers in the workforce are affected, along with running things close to capacity, as was the case in 2018, there's a problem.  

There’s quite an obvious fault with that graph - that’s based on percentages rather than numbers. And as we’ve already established plenty of hospitals have converted standard wards into critical care wards 

38 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

These two articles are well worth a read:

A Cockupspiracy – Lockdown Sceptics

The Great Preset – Lockdown Sceptics

The second piece from today follows the first from early December.  I think taking the middle ground between "cock-up" and "conspiracy" as he calls it "a cockupspiracy", is pretty much spot on.

These are both good reads and whether or not you align with the opinion(s) expressed, I think they are a good starting point for our/your (perhaps 'the') independent thought process to 'jump off' from.

I would recommend that regardless of where you sit currently on all the various issues; these are worth a read, even if from a 'devil's advocate' perspective

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

There’s quite an obvious fault with that graph - that’s based on percentages rather than numbers. And as we’ve already established plenty of hospitals have converted standard wards into critical care wards 

........ and lots of admissions will have simply not occurred as they were:

a) cancelled/postponed.

b) discouraged

c) populace in fear they go in with sore tummy, get covid, and never come out.

My wife’s sister tested positive for this the other day and had to call 111 as her breathing started to get a bit off and she was worried they said they would call back but could be up to 8 hours later. 17 hours later they called back to say she was just ill and not to go to hospital as it would be to dangerous. You could tell she was struggling when the Mrs called her and she was stopping as she was out of breath. Think she was also worried the fact tht the head teacher of the school she works at passed away after saying he had got better but then had passed after having breathing difficulties.

53k positive tests in one day is massive. 370k a week if the numbers stay like that, if they go up even slightly we'll be at close to half a million! We'll all have herd immunity within a year at this rate!

People talking of routine tests and operations being cancelled because of hospitals being full, they were in the summer when we were having about 900 cases a day nationally.

3 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

........ and lots of admissions will have simply not occurred as they were:

a) cancelled/postponed.

b) discouraged

c) populace in fear they go in with sore tummy, get covid, and never come out.

You only have to have seen A and E over the past few months. On some of the usual ‘busy’ nights... relatively empty

People just haven’t attended when, in some cases, they absolutely needed to

I know of a few people who in my view should have gone to A&E and been admitted, and rang 111 or whatever the number is and were told, without obviously being properly assessed... 'do not go to hospital. do not go to your doctor. stay at home and isolate'.

They are clearly under instruction to try to protect the hospitals but you can imagine the newspaper headlines if this keeps happening and people die as a result of not getting the right care.

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

2. are people having multiple tests done? So for example if someone tests positive can they go back and have another one a few days later to see if they’re still positive? 

After a positive result I was told I couldn't have another test for 90 days as it would still pick up small amounts of the virus. 

• Like 1

I may be completely wrong with this but looking from the outside it appears that there has been little planning and preparation for an expected increase in the normally busy winter period. I understand it all goes back to NHS being underfunded and staffed but surely more could've been done to avoid it being overwhelmed. Doesn't bode well for any future emergencies the NHS might be needed for. 

How does current ICU admissions compare to normal years? And I assume not everyone in ICU is a covid patient ? 

I'd like to see the latest figures on where people think they are catching this. Hard to say exactly I know but no large indoor events, no sporting events, no pubs/clubs/weddings etc. All things that were blamed for the first wave. Schools and work places I guess. 

27 minutes ago, Rain King said:

My son had to go to A & E on Boxing Day night. There was only two people waiting before him to be seen but he still had to wait nearly 3 hours to be seen due to staff shortages.

There you go. A real life example (not just stats and theories) that pretty much tells the story 

1 minute ago, RowlattsFox said:

I may be completely wrong with this but looking from the outside it appears that there has been little planning and preparation for an expected increase in the normally busy winter period. I understand it all goes back to NHS being underfunded and staffed but surely more could've been done to avoid it being overwhelmed. Doesn't bode well for any future emergencies the NHS might be needed for. 

How does current ICU admissions compare to normal years? And I assume not everyone in ICU is a covid patient ? 

I'd like to see the latest figures on where people think they are catching this. Hard to say exactly I know but no large indoor events, no sporting events, no pubs/clubs/weddings etc. All things that were blamed for the first wave. Schools and work places I guess. 

Don’t forget some facilities have stayed open. One is gyms, I know why... recreation and fitness but Christ, if you’re gonna pick something up it’s gonna be from a gym 

Here's another real life example...

I've just received yet another letter from the Dept of Health & Social care - I reckon it's the 7th letter I've received from them this year. This letter gives me more important guidance as an extremely vulnerable person - this time about tier 4 restrictions.  

All the information enclosed in this 7 page letter has been widely publicized recently on the news and on the Gov.UK website - there's nothing new in it.

Now I appreciate that some elderly folk still rely on letters through the post, but I'd imagine most people would be OK with an automatically generated e-mail these days - I know I would. 

Of the 2.2 million extremely vulnerable amongst us, say 10% don't have e-mail so that leaves 2 million letters x 7 times this year = 14 million letters.

I've no idea the cost of paper, ink, labour and postage to send all this out, but personally I'd much rather it was spent on front line staff instead.

4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Here's another real life example...

I've just received yet another letter from the Dept of Health & Social care - I reckon it's the 7th letter I've received from them this year. This letter gives me more important guidance as an extremely vulnerable person - this time about tier 4 restrictions.  

All the information enclosed in this 7 page letter has been widely publicized recently on the news and on the Gov.UK website - there's nothing new in it.

Now I appreciate that some elderly folk still rely on letters through the post, but I'd imagine most people would be OK with an automatically generated e-mail these days - I know I would. 

Of the 2.2 million extremely vulnerable amongst us, say 10% don't have e-mail so that leaves 2 million letters x 7 times this year = 14 million letters.

I've no idea the cost of paper, ink, labour and postage to send all this out, but personally I'd much rather it was spent on front line staff instead.

Bless you mate. At last some 'normality'

I presume you get the letter for fear of you complaining and taking action if you don't?

I dont mean YOU of course, i mean in general

It'll likely be to stop litigation I suspect?

That's what the country has come to

4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Bless you mate. At last some 'normality'

I presume you get the letter for fear of you complaining and taking action if you don't?

I dont mean YOU of course, i mean in general

It'll likely be to stop litigation I suspect?

That's what the country has come to

I did wonder if it’s an arse covering exercise mate. I just don’t understand why people aren’t given the option to ‘opt out’ of paper and receive everything by email instead. 

My bank has done this for years and everything I get from them is electronic. I even get monthly COVID update emails from the local council leader telling me exactly the same as what’s in the letters from the government!

Surely in today’s world of going paperless and reducing our carbon footprint etc. there should be a better and cheaper way of communicating. It’s the same with my local NHS hospital who send me letter after letter about appointments and reviews. 

It all just seems so archaic, cumbersome and costly, yet we’re crying out for front line nurses.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I did wonder if it’s an arse covering exercise mate. I just don’t understand why people aren’t given the option to ‘opt out’ of paper and receive everything by email instead. 

My bank has done this for years and everything I get from them is electronic. I even get monthly COVID update emails from the local council leader telling me exactly the same as what’s in the letters from the government!

Surely in today’s world of going paperless and reducing our carbon footprint etc. there should be a better and cheaper way of communicating. It’s the same with my local NHS hospital who send me letter after letter about appointments and reviews. 

It all just seems so archaic, cumbersome and costly, yet we’re crying out for front line nurses.

I’ve missed your posts mate and agree with everything you say here

As for crying out for nurses... spot on

• Like 1

Obviously the whole thing isn't a conspiricy but I've found myself really questioning just how absolutely, hideously incompetent the government have been, there comes a point where you find yourself thinking they can't be this thick and absolutely unprepared at every turn as this virus continues to cripple lives and livelihoods. I get it's not an easy job but they've made so many absolute balls ups at every turn I've found myself thinking are they doing it on purpose? There's only so much continued incompetence I can find believable. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Can't remember if it was on here or another forum, but it was about 15-20% of people catching it hospitals. I have just tried to google the actual source but so many different results come up, I tried to look on the Government website but there's so much on there. Below is what I could find.

https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-transmission-hospitals/

'The data suggests that, between 1 August and 26 November, there were around 10,000 nosocomial infections (approximately 16% of all coronavirus infections recorded in hospitals). '

'In May, it was reported that NHS England estimated that 10-20% of people in hospital with coronavirus had been infected while they were inpatients. '

'A study published in July led by King’s College London estimated that 12.5% of all Covid-19 inpatients had hospital-acquired infections. The study, which looked at 1,500 Covid patients admitted up to 28 April in 10 hospitals in the UK and one in Italy, defined nosocomial patients as those who were diagnosed 15 or more days after admission to hospital.

However, the study said this was a “conservative” estimate, as this definition did not include people who tested positive sooner, hospital workers, or asymptomatic patients who were discharged without a positive test. It said the true proportion of hospital-acquired transmission could be closer to 23%.'

7 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Can't remember if it was on here or another forum, but it was about 15-20% of people catching it hospitals. I have just tried to google the actual source but so many different results come up, I tried to look on the Government website but there's so much on there. Below is what I could find.

https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-transmission-hospitals/

'The data suggests that, between 1 August and 26 November, there were around 10,000 nosocomial infections (approximately 16% of all coronavirus infections recorded in hospitals). '

'In May, it was reported that NHS England estimated that 10-20% of people in hospital with coronavirus had been infected while they were inpatients. '

'A study published in July led by King’s College London estimated that 12.5% of all Covid-19 inpatients had hospital-acquired infections. The study, which looked at 1,500 Covid patients admitted up to 28 April in 10 hospitals in the UK and one in Italy, defined nosocomial patients as those who were diagnosed 15 or more days after admission to hospital.

However, the study said this was a “conservative” estimate, as this definition did not include people who tested positive sooner, hospital workers, or asymptomatic patients who were discharged without a positive test. It said the true proportion of hospital-acquired transmission could be closer to 23%.'

Maybe that’s why they don’t want people to go to hospitals unless it’s absolutely necessary.

8 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

It's unbelievable, best job I've ever had, we're so fortunate to do so, but many don't appreciate it anywhere near as much as they should.

Years ago it was safe job, crap wages good pension, that seems to have changed a bit over the years. 

• Like 1