Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

34 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

That would need a medical expert.  

Maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe if the Nightingale hospitals reopen and more people need ventilators than there are staff to operate them, it will still be better to use fully trained staff under current rules and let the excess patients die, rather than spread the staff more thinly and do the best we can for everyone.  That may have to be a clinical decision to be made.  But if it does come to that, it's important to remember that this wouldn't be a choice between the prefect solution or an imperfect solution - it would be a choice between two imperfect solutions.  So this particular suggestion should not be written off simply because it is imperfect.

What nightingale hospitals? They’ve emptied them.

9 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

As far as staffing goes, there are about 60,000 - 80,000 student nurses in this country.  Once upon a time they would have been in hospitals learning on the job; in an absolute emergency, they could be mobilised en masse.  

You don't know anyone at medical school do you.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Speaking again with my mate yesterday was interesting. They blew through their initial batch of vaccines no problem. The issue they had and the bottleneck at this moment, was the physical speed at which the elderly can get in to the surgery, get sat down and comfortable, and then get up and out again. He reckons they could quite comfortably go 5 times faster with people in their 20s, for example. They had 7 jabbers (6 jabbing at any one time and 1 on a break), for about 10 hours a day.

He also told a funny anecdote about a women that worked at the surgery that was offered the vaccine just after they had closed for the evening, and she said no as she'd already clocked off and it was "home time" lol

I want to work in the public sector lol

3 hours ago, z-layrex said:

One thing we are asking for that was so so helpful in the first wave was turning/proning teams going around all the units. Teams of redeployed doctors/nurses/AHP's would come and turn your patients, or even more helpfully prone/unprone. Proning a patient takes 7 people (8 for a patient on ecmo) and is just so resource consuming. We are dealing with even worse pressures than before without this amazing resource. We dont need surge nurses or students we need the turning teams back!! We keep escalating it up but to no avail.

Yeah things like this is what the volunteers or whatever could be used for surely? Obviously people can't be working in ICUs if they aren't trained, but by hiring thousands of basic staff they could surely help lessen your workload? The way it's worded in the media is that all wards are brimmed to capacity, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Any idea why they're doing nothing about bringing them back?

Cheers for your answers and continued work:appl:

13 minutes ago, Otis said:

So they have spent £millions setting up these nightingale hospitals but no thought in how to staff them?

And mr Hancock looked so proud when he opened the one in London. You’d have thought he’d have actually asked the question when being given the guided tour!

4 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Speaking again with my mate yesterday was interesting. They blew through their initial batch of vaccines no problem. The issue they had and the bottleneck at this moment, was the physical speed at which the elderly can get in to the surgery, get sat down and comfortable, and then get up and out again. He reckons they could quite comfortably go 5 times faster with people in their 20s, for example. They had 7 jabbers (6 jabbing at any one time and 1 on a break), for about 10 hours a day.

He also told a funny anecdote about a women that worked at the surgery that was offered the vaccine just after they had closed for the evening, and she said no as she'd already clocked off and it was "home time" lol

My twenty something niece is working at a vaccination centre.  The vials were  intended to provide 5 doses but with care it is sometime possible to get an extra sixth full dose.  They cannot mix vials and when opened they have to use immediately.  Hence at the end of the session they sometimes have a few of these “bonus” doses left over and offer them to staff as you describe. 

1 minute ago, Stivo said:

My twenty something niece is working at a vaccination centre.  The vials were  intended to provide 5 doses but with care it is sometime possible to get an extra sixth full dose.  They cannot mix vials and when opened they have to use immediately.  Hence at the end of the session they sometimes have a few of these “bonus” doses left over and offer them to staff as you describe. 

I've informed my local health centre that I live just round the corner and can be there in 5 minutes if needed, but they also said that any spares are for the staff.  Which is fair enough.  

14 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I really think many people confuse anxiety with feeling uncomfortable. I feel uncomfortable wearing a mask, for starters my glasses steam up and I can't see a thing (which, incidentally, is a cause of frustration, which again, might be mistaken for anxiety.), but like most people, who are likewise uncomfortable, I do it for the short time it takes me to shop. There's a lot of people who just want an easy ride through life and are not prepared to inconvenience themselves in the slightest, not even for themselves, never mind others.

Have you tried the masks with the bendy strip of metal on the nose?  

My work only provide the cheapo ones which steam my glasses up but with my own no air escapes up to the eye area so Im able to work a physical job without steaming up :-)

• Like 1

One of my neighbours had a phone call yesterday inviting her to go for a Covid-19 jab, but she declined the offer because of transport problems. Kibworth appears to be a hub for administration of the vaccine for residents of the Harborough district. On the question of 'excuses' for not wearing a mask, an excuse can be either reasonable or unreasonable. Indeed, the government's own website talks about 'reasonable excuses' for travelling out of a Tier 4 area.       

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

No, of course, but it is an "easy opt out" for some people. It might have been you who said their partner wears a face shield because of problems with wearing a mask and it's this sort of consideration that people need to do. If people were told that covid19 eats your face off if you don't wear a mask, I wonder how many people who then say, "nope, it makes me anxious."

I really think many people confuse anxiety with feeling uncomfortable. I feel uncomfortable wearing a mask, for starters my glasses steam up and I can't see a thing (which, incidentally, is a cause of frustration, which again, might be mistaken for anxiety.), but like most people, who are likewise uncomfortable, I do it for the short time it takes me to shop. There's a lot of people who just want an easy ride through life and are not prepared to inconvenience themselves in the slightest, not even for themselves, never mind others.

It's when I see whole families without masks out shopping that does my head. The chances that all of them have medical reasons (and that should be the only reason) are slim and to my mind if that WAS the case, then they wouldn't be all out together as a family, they'd be more cautious.

Sorry it's a bit of a rant and as you say Stan, it isn't so simple to call, but it is a source of frustration. Doubtless there are even those who do suffer from anxiety, who are wearing masks, coming out of shops half panicked to death; which angers me even more for anyone who is using it as an excuse (rather than a reason).

I agree with this post completely. The only reason I’m a bit sceptical when it comes to not wearing masks is A) my mum with severe asthma wears one, and my partner is medicated for anxiety and depression, and she wears a mask, and continues to do so despite having a few panic attacks. It’s a difficult one to call as people have pointed out there are many reasons why someone can’t wear a mask, but I find it hard to believe that someone can’t wear a mast for a visit to the shops, which is anywhere up to an hour max when I know two people who could refuse to wear a mask if they really wanted to. But when I asked my mrs why she carry’s on wearing it when she potentially doesn’t have to she said “to protect myself and others”. 

Edited by Pliskin
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Stivo said:

Friends dad is a doc at a gp, they have the issue that if people just don't turn up they have these spare doses they'll give to staff/family etc. 

It’s getting a bit confusing with what’s actually going on. 50000+ cases today, yet people are in a bigger state of lockdown than ever, now either no one is actually paying attention to the advice and rules, or what we’re doing isn’t working. All the pubs and other gathering places are shut, so it can’t be those places that are the problem. Surely everyone’s not going round each other’s houses. Personally I think it’s something to do with exposure time indoors, with people carrying the virus, which being cooped up doesn’t exactly help. And, although I do wear one, I also think that masks are a breeding ground for germs and I bet more people are catching the virus from adjusting or messing about with their mask with unsanitised hands, which obviously can’t be helped in everyday life, than breathing other people’s germs in.

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

It’s getting a bit confusing with what’s actually going on. 50000+ cases today, yet people are in a bigger state of lockdown than ever, now either no one is actually paying attention to the advice and rules, or what we’re doing isn’t working. All the pubs and other gathering places are shut, so it can’t be those places that are the problem. Surely everyone’s not going round each other’s houses. Personally I think it’s something to do with exposure time indoors, with people carrying the virus, which being cooped up doesn’t exactly help. And, although I do wear one, I also think that masks are a breeding ground for germs and I bet more people are catching the virus from adjusting or messing about with their mask with unsanitised hands, which obviously can’t be helped in everyday life, than breathing other people’s germs in.

People aren’t in a bigger state of lockdown than ever? We’re all in tiers (now there’s a Freudian slip)
Just go to many different parts of Leicester to really get the sense of us being in hardly any type of lockdown

I was cycling up Narborough road earlier and there were lots of people milling about, most of the shops looked open and there were small crowds outside at least one of the ‘eateries’

Combining the two elements of:

1. People STILL not taking it all seriously and

2: No way of policing any of it

Equates to the massive number of new infections we are seeing now

People blame the government, personally I think ‘the people’ are hugely culpable 

• Like 2