Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

Something has to happen. The rules haven’t been enforced, the public have pretty much done what they’ve wanted to and today we see ANOTHER 1000 deaths related to covid 19. The police have got a nearly almost impossible task on their hands, large swathes of the public aren’t helping and don’t give a toss. 
Let’s make some examples, let’s stir up a shit-storm. Hopefully then people will take this fookin pandemic seriously. 
We‘ll have to agree to differ on opinion. If I saw things changing I’d happily back-track.

I doubt these 1000 have come from people walking outside though. The majority will be the elderly catching it in hospitals or carehomes. These are the places that need to tighten up their measures. 

Most people are taking it seriously but for most people there's a 99.9% survival rate. So for the fit and healthy it's just like a cold.

• Like 2

I believe the point about travelling to exercise is that it increases the likelyhood that you stop off and risk increases. 

More likely to visit a petrol station

More likely a mechanical visit is required 

More likely to pop into a coffee shop 

More likely at winter that the roads are in poor condition. 

The government have omitted the use of the word essential. And that’s it really - for a person to undertake exercise is it essential that takes places five miles down road? Is it essential that you increase the risk of mixing by carrying out that journey? 

The behaviour scientists have done there bit - my friend down in London says that people were collected outside the coffee shop today after a takeaway coffee or still gathering in big groups at Wimbledon Common. The latter was exactly the reason they knocked selling takeaway alcohol. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Otis said:

I doubt these 1000 have come from people walking outside though. The majority will be the elderly catching it in hospitals or carehomes. These are the places that need to tighten up their measures. 

Most people are taking it seriously but for most people there's a 99.9% survival rate. So for the fit and healthy it's just like a cold.

You are kind of missing the point.  

If say 300 of those deaths come from mixing, that puts the strain on the NHS far lighter than it is currently.

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The behaviour scientists have done there bit - my friend down in London says that people were collected outside the coffee shop today after a takeaway coffee or still gathering in big groups at Wimbledon Common. The latter was exactly the reason they knocked selling takeaway alcohol. 

But buying takeaway alcohol from corner shop is fine.

Seems odd?

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I believe the point about travelling to exercise is that it increases the likelyhood that you stop off and risk increases. 

More likely to visit a petrol station

More likely a mechanical visit is required 

More likely to pop into a coffee shop 

More likely at winter that the roads are in poor condition. 

The government have omitted the use of the word essential. And that’s it really - for a person to undertake exercise is it essential that takes places five miles down road? Is it essential that you increase the risk of mixing by carrying out that journey? 

Thank God...

Just now, Otis said:

But buying takeaway alcohol from corner shop is fine.

Seems odd?

Less likely to stand outside the corner shop. I get their logic the govt but there are ways and means that you work against that. The Police should be telling the vendors to have a perimeter no drinking zone around them or similar 

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

You are kind of missing the point.  

If say 300 of those deaths come from mixing, that puts the strain on the NHS far lighter than it is currently.

But going for a walk is not even mixing is it. I've yet to see large groups huddled together outside.

The risks out in the open are miniscule.

I would say the way anyone catches covid is from mixing... indoors.

Just now, Otis said:

But going for a walk is not even mixing is it. I've yet to see large groups huddled together outside.

The risks out in the open are miniscule.

I would say the way anyone catches covid is from mixing... indoors.

But as I’ve just stated elsewhere the likelyhood that you may mix increases because it’s very rare that you’ll just ‘walk’ or just ‘exercise’

The further away you do that walking - the risk increases further. The likelyhood you’ll need to sit down on a seat which isn’t clean (or cleaned regularly) and that you’ll need to use communal loos. 

• Like 1

Going to a super market is much more likely to infect people than driving to a wide open space.

If you're going to small shops like a Tesco mini youre putting more people at risk than if you drive a few miles to a massive open space 

Love the hypocrisy 

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

But as I’ve just stated elsewhere the likelyhood that you may mix increases because it’s very rare that you’ll just ‘walk’ or just ‘exercise’

The further away you do that walking - the risk increases further. The likelyhood you’ll need to sit down on a seat which isn’t clean (or cleaned regularly) and that you’ll need to use communal loos. 

Jesus, I'm just going for a walk mate. I'm not mixing with anyone.

• Like 1

@Col city fan - maybe your annoyance needs to be directed at the advice/guidance/rules as opposed to the people doing what they are literally allowed to do. This is from the government site...

Exercising

You should minimise time spent outside your home, but you can leave your home to exercise. This should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.

You can exercise in a public outdoor place:

• by yourself
  • with the people you live with
  • with your support bubble (if you are legally permitted to form one)
  • in a childcare bubble where providing childcare
  • or, when on your own, with 1 person from another household

This includes but is not limited to running, cycling, walking, and swimming. Personal training can continue one-on-one unless everyone is within the same household or support bubble.

Public outdoor places include:

• parks, beaches, countryside accessible to the public, forests
  • public gardens (whether or not you pay to enter them)
  • the grounds of a heritage site
  • playgrounds

The only discrepancy you could argue about is what 'local area' defines. If I remember correctly (and not 100% on this) they specified local area, or at least defined it in the first lockdown and didn't really leave it as open as they have done this time.

In the rules above, you're allowed to travel to the public areas for walking, like a NT place. I guess you're lucky if you can define it as 'local' and if you're travelling there to go for a walk, it's usually a grand open space with plenty of room so the chances of interaction to collect the virus is low, unlike a supermarket being indoors and condensed moreso than a forest/public walking area.

I think it's fair to argue that you should stay at home but while the 'guidance/rules' says you can go outside for walks and exercise, then people are well within their rights to abide by that too. 

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

Going to a super market is much more likely to infect people than driving to a wide open space.

If you're going to small shops like a Tesco mini youre putting more people at risk than if you drive a few miles to a massive open space 

Love the hypocrisy 

I know.  This seemed to bypass them.

32 minutes ago, Izzy said:

We were supposed to go for a family walk around the gardens of a 'local' National Trust place today. You have to book in advance and it's about 7 miles away so we'd have to drive there, park up etc.

It didn't feel right to go somehow so we just walked around the village again for the umpteenth time. I'm sure we'd have been fine visiting the NT place but the advice is to stay at home I guess.

I dunno. There's so many cars on the road I think loads of people are still driving to places for exercise. 

I couldn't believe how many people I had deliveries for were out today. Over half. I'm guessing most people aren't working Saturday, especially whole families and it's not walking weather, could barely see 20m at times. I can only assume the supermarkets were swamped today :dunno:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Love the hypocrisy 

What hypocrisy? I’d ran out of milk! 
Are you suggesting people don’t shop for food now?

😳

One last time, if you want to go for a walk, don’t drive five miles down the road. You don’t need to. Leave your front door and stay local

Am I missing something here or what?

5 hours ago, Col city fan said:

You can walk your dog LOCALLY.

Just don’t get in your car and go five miles up the road

Is there any hard evidence that it is safer for all the dog walkers in Leicester to meet in the same few parks than it is to scatter them round the county?

This is what I can't get.  If there are 12,000 people per square mile in Leicester itself, is it safer for those 12,000 to stay close to gether and exercise in the same square mile, or would they be better off spreading out a bit and exercising in the wider open spaces around?  

• Like 2

Just now, Trav Le Bleu said:

I couldn't believe how many people I had deliveries for were out today. Over half. I'm guessing most people aren't working Saturday, especially whole families and it's not walking weather, could barely see 20m at times. I can only assume the supermarkets were swamped today :dunno:

After our walk around the village this morning I spent the afternoon washing my car (again). I noticed both sets of my neighbors go out for a drive, along with numerous other households on our street. None of them came back with any shopping so I can only assume they all went for a drive to do some exercise :dunno:

Just now, dsr-burnley said:

Is there any hard evidence that it is safer for all the dog walkers in Leicester to meet in the same few parks than it is to scatter them round the county?

This is what I can't get.  If there are 12,000 people per square mile in Leicester itself, is it safer for those 12,000 to stay close to gether and exercise in the same square mile, or would they be better off spreading out a bit and exercising in the wider open spaces around?  

See Cardiff Fox’s post above

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

What hypocrisy? I’d ran out of milk! 
Are you suggesting people don’t shop for food now?

😳

One last time, if you want to go for a walk, don’t drive five miles down the road. You don’t need to. Leave your front door and stay local

Am I missing something here or what?

Yes you are.

You are missing the point that there is no danger involved. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

After our walk around the village this morning I spent the afternoon washing my car (again). I noticed both sets of my neighbors go out for a drive, along with numerous other households on our street. None of them came back with any shopping so I can only assume they all went for a drive to do some exercise :dunno:

And people bleat on about coppers getting heavy handed...

😩

Ive said right from the outset of this pandemic that we will have one of the biggest infection rate and the biggest number of deaths in Europe for two main reasons:

1. We are geographically small

2. Many ‘Brits’ are either fookin stupid, selfish or both 

And it’s happened and here we are. STILL having daft debates when people are losing their lives due to Covid all over the country

Over and out..

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I’d rather they clamped down on both and actually implemented the rules 

Except they haven't gone against the rules as there is no limit written down as to how far you can travel. It doesn't take much- "no further than 10 miles, stay within 5 miles, go to your nearest park or open space"- to inform people but they've left local open to interpretation.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

My neighbours all went out today Muzzett ...   there are six of them in their cottage ...  and one has tested positive.   We get on so well but this is just so so so fvckin wrong.