Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

School attendance is up because the list of eligible key workers has been expanded since the first lockdown.  Secondly, in a two parent household, only one parent needs to be eligible for a child to be sent into school.

1)  Reduce the list. 

2)  Make it both parents in two parent families.

And the rights and wrongs of the two ladies having a picnic coffee rages on I see?  They haven't broken any of the guidance.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

There's no consequences to your actions if you respect social distancing, are out in the fresh air and wash your hands. 

I went for a longish walk from my home yesterday. Probably further than the two ladies from Ashby who drove five miles to a country park and then went for a stroll in the park and were issued with £200 fines. And I didn't drive anywhere and was back home for three o'clock. Of course. The scientists have continually said that the chance of contracting the virus from somebody else outside if you follow the rules is infinitesimal.

Seeing the news this morning I worry that Patel will follow her baser instincts and go into a knee-jerk over-reaction, and impose harsh restrictions which will please the tabloid press for a day but have a serious physical and emotional impact on the daily lives of all of us, and have no practical effect in containing the spread of the virus.

I met a former workmate on my walk who said he felt most at risk of picking up the virus when he did his shopping. Indoors, people wandering about randomly, and their children chasing about even more randomly. Then handling things which could have been handled by somebody else who has the virus and taking them home. He now does his shopping at 7.30 in the morning when there is nobody about.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

The risks involved in shopping can be easily decreased by planning in advance using a click and collect service.  

A lot of those have a minimum spend figures or a number of slots which quickly go. 

However you could run the whole supermarket like that and/or have a maximum capacity of in store slots as well. 

There has been never any innovative thinking on the restrictions. For example, turning the school holiday around for the main holiday to be in winter or insisting on a 10 day lock down before Christmas mixing. 

You only had to look at the university farce back in September - self interest ruled (worth mentioning that it’s something like 80% of MPs are private landlords either through direct ownership or fund management) 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

A lot of those have a minimum spend figures or a number of slots which quickly go. 

However you could run the whole supermarket like that and/or have a maximum capacity of in store slots as well. 

There has been never any innovative thinking on the restrictions. For example, turning the school holiday around for the main holiday to be in winter or insisting on a 10 day lock down before Christmas mixing. 

You only had to look at the university farce back in September - self interest ruled (worth mentioning that it’s something like 80% of MPs are private landlords either through direct ownership or fund management) 

The handling of the schools as really been poor.  Like you say there was no thought put into it. The amount of holidays schools have could have easily been played around with so as to allow January and part of February to have been holidays. Yet instead the kids were still having half term in October and will still be having a fortnight at Easter with another half term not long before and after.  That’s 4 or 5 weeks without even thinking about reductions to the summer break. Yes it would have been a bit inconvenient for some people but a lot less inconvenient that cancelling exams and trying to home school. 

20 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

The risks involved in shopping can be easily decreased by planning in advance using a click and collect service.  

We physically don't have the ability to do that. Look at the number of people in a shop at a time, for each person you'd need to replace each one with a member of staff, and then have time for them to collect. 

10 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Surely this isn't correct by the BBC?

2 million in the last week?

It's a misquote.

I watched the interview. Hancock said that "about 2 million" had been vaccinated in total - and that more had been vaccinated in the last week than during December.

He didn't say that 2 million had been vaccinated in the last week.

He did say that every adult would be offered the vaccine by autumn.

Edited by Alf Bentley
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, The Fox Covert said:

I went for a longish walk from my home yesterday. Probably further than the two ladies from Ashby who drove five miles to a country park and then went for a stroll in the park and were issued with £200 fines. And I didn't drive anywhere and was back home for three o'clock. Of course. The scientists have continually said that the chance of contracting the virus from somebody else outside if you follow the rules is infinitesimal.

Seeing the news this morning I worry that Patel will follow her baser instincts and go into a knee-jerk over-reaction, and impose harsh restrictions which will please the tabloid press for a day but have a serious physical and emotional impact on the daily lives of all of us, and have no practical effect in containing the spread of the virus.

I met a former workmate on my walk who said he felt most at risk of picking up the virus when he did his shopping. Indoors, people wandering about randomly, and their children chasing about even more randomly. Then handling things which could have been handled by somebody else who has the virus and taking them home. He now does his shopping at 7.30 in the morning when there is nobody about.

This is the problem. Would they have been fined if they had walked to the reservoir and back? We generally police by consent in this country and have done for many years. This only works where laws are seen to be fair and just and the enforcement of them seen to be proportionate. This particular case just exemplifies the double problem we have here. The police are working with guidelines/rules that are not specific enough and the public are, on the whole, trying to abide by the same guidelines/rules.

We've been asked by the governement to apply common sense. To me the common sense respsone in this case, as it has been reported, would have been to advise these women that, though they were only 5 miles form home and were excercising sensibly, that, they(the police), did not think it was in the spirit of the rule and to please go home and don't come again. Even their MP considers they were going locally to excercise.

Where strict enforcement is required is in case such as these

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55604382

Absolutely no excuse for people from Leicester to be there and they should be fined.

It would have been very easy, as they have done in Ireland, to specify local area distances for excercise from your home.

We need to target people shopping without masks, get supermarkets to control numbers and to enforce shopping is done by one person only. Reducing the number of kids at school and closing nurseries would also possibly help.

They only other way to go is by curfews, forcibly closing all businesses not to do with food or medecine ie supermarkets, butchers etc, and I'd include Amazon in this closure whose warehouses employ a great many people who could otherwise be at home and similar online retailers.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

It's a misquote.

I watched the interview. Hancock said that "about 2 million" had been vaccinated in total - and that more had been vaccinated in the last week than during December.

He didn't say that 2 million had been vaccinated in the last week.

He did say that every adult would be offered the vaccine by autumn.

I think he said 200,000 per day, so 1.4m per week at present but expecting to rise to 2m per week soon.

3 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I think he said 200,000 per day, so 1.4m per week at present but expecting to rise to 2m per week soon.

That sounds reasonable - and the 200,000 figure sounds familiar. I think he said 200,000 were vaccinated yesterday?

But Marr specifically asked him for the total figure and he said around 2 million in total so far.

10 hours ago, tom27111 said:

No. Believe it or not, most of the Amazon parcels delivered in Leicestershire come from the Northampton depot. I even crossed over in to Nottinghamshire today.

Amazon are very regimental about Covid precautions. It's 1 womans job to shout at people who are less than 2 metres apart!

You can't even get in to the building without having your temperature taken.

Useless if you're asymptomatic, but at least it's something.

It's OK, I'd prefer to be doing something else, but needs must right now.

Your posts sum up quite clearly what should be happening we can all shout and question the government why this and that continues to operate yet if they closed every little operation the discussion is they are depriving people in your position of putting food on the table.

If the Government deem that a particular industry can remain open then all the responsibility lies on the companies that, Choose, to remain open to provide a safe working environment and then down to their employees own moral compass to follow those company guidelines to the letter along with their own common sense or be let go.

In your case Amazon seem to be on board with the situation as are you Tom so well done to them and yourself fella, it’s not the job you want but it’s needs must and won’t be forever.
We’ve all had parcels delivered so thank you and stay safe mate.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Surely this isn't correct by the BBC?

2 million in the last week?

Screenshot_20210110_112920.jpg

I don’t like it when they say “vaccinated”, I think as of Wednesday there were a total of 30k* people that had received the second jab. That to me is vaccinated.

*not 100% numbers, I’m sure I heard them on the news

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

That sounds reasonable - and the 200,000 figure sounds familiar. I think he said 200,000 were vaccinated yesterday?

But Marr specifically asked him for the total figure and he said around 2 million in total so far.

There is a MASSIVE amount of work going on behind the scenes by dedicated workers to try to get as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible. It’s happening here in Leicester as we speak 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, reynard said:

This is the problem. Would they have been fined if they had walked to the reservoir and back? We generally police by consent in this country and have done for many years. This only works where laws are seen to be fair and just and the enforcement of them seen to be proportionate. This particular case just exemplifies the double problem we have here. The police are working with guidelines/rules that are not specific enough and the public are, on the whole, trying to abide by the same guidelines/rules.

We've been asked by the governement to apply common sense. To me the common sense respsone in this case, as it has been reported, would have been to advise these women that, though they were only 5 miles form home and were excercising sensibly, that, they(the police), did not think it was in the spirit of the rule and to please go home and don't come again. Even their MP considers they were going locally to excercise.

Where strict enforcement is required is in case such as these

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55604382

Absolutely no excuse for people from Leicester to be there and they should be fined.

It would have been very easy, as they have done in Ireland, to specify local area distances for excercise from your home.

We need to target people shopping without masks, get supermarkets to control numbers and to enforce shopping is done by one person only. Reducing the number of kids at school and closing nurseries would also possibly help.

They only other way to go is by curfews, forcibly closing all businesses not to do with food or medecine ie supermarkets, butchers etc, and I'd include Amazon in this closure whose warehouses employ a great many people who could otherwise be at home and similar online retailers.

Have we? 

The biggest bugbear I have is that common sense has not been asked nor applied  at any level. I listen to radio 2 and fivelive and every single day there are people calling and texting asking if some bizarre set of circumstances  is allowed 'within the rules' or not

I'm just, like, work it out for your fackin self. 

7 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

I don’t like it when they say “vaccinated”, I think as of Wednesday there were a total of 30k* people that had received the second jab. That to me is vaccinated.

*not 100% numbers, I’m sure I heard them on the news

You made a fair point, while its great we are giving so many their first jabs , there is a distinction between vaccinated and the first jab.

3 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Have we? 

The biggest bugbear I have is that common sense has not been asked nor applied  at any level. I listen to radio 2 and fivelive and every single day there are people calling and texting asking if some bizarre set of circumstances  is allowed 'within the rules' or not

I'm just, like, work it out for your fackin self. 

https://www.ft.com/content/df14c89b-6cab-464b-ad15-fe9c45fb0f42

https://www.ft.com/content/8e0e1632-95cb-11ea-899a-f62a20d54625

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18740216.coronavirus-boris-johnson-says-common-sense-single-greatest-weapon/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/05/11/use-good-solid-british-common-sense-boris-johnson-tells-public/

Loads more egs out there. But probably enough.

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Some people have become really strange over the last year. There’s questioning about absolutely everything, I think, borne out of boredom and frustration.

Common sense seems to have gone out the window in favour of ‘what if I did this, what would happen if I do that’ etc rather than ‘let me think this through and be sensible and safe’

There’s a real blame game going on too. ‘The government should have done this, they’ve got this wrong, it’s someone else’s fault etc’

Self responsibility seems to have vanished in favour of critiquing everyone else’s view

Weird times...

Super post Col :appl:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nalis said:

You made a fair point, while its great we are giving so many their first jabs , there is a distinction between vaccinated and the first jab.

The disparity between receiving a jab and being vaccinated opens the door for news articles similar to one that I read yesterday in that a front line nhs worker caught Covid despite being “vaccinated”. Turns out they caught it between their first and second vaccine which to my understanding is possible and highly likely given the time it takes for complete vaccination after the second jab. 

It’s just fuel for the David Icke brigade.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/09/nurse-catches-covid-three-weeks-after-getting-pfizer-vaccine-13875410/

Edited by Trumpet

3 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

The first question is how did the friends get there? were they in the same vehicle?

Also The point about the police been draconian proves that draconian policies are needed, these two women no way would have willingly complied with a simple quiet word, they clearly dont accept they in the wrong by the fact they went to the press, if anything this story shows we need more enforcement.

People may be "losing their minds" as you call it because they respect what is happening, hospitals are at breaking point, non covid health care has pretty much stopped, the economy is been strangled.  Yet you shrug it off as if its nothing, people need to learn to comply with the rules, they are very lucky we have a government who is incredibly weak minded so compliance enforcement has been minimal.

Personally I dont understand why at this point we dont have manned roadblocks in place.  Far too many people think the world evolves around them, and dont understand the consequences of their actions.

The two women in question in the story claimed they took seperate vehicles.

I don't disagree what all of what you're saying, but these women did no wrong according to the laws, the guidelines are too vague and allow people to do this. If they appealed that fine in court I'm fairly sure it'd get quashed. How many people do you think are not complying with the rules? It'll be a small amount compared to the overall population.

We've known since March that this is coming, yet the Goverment appears to have done the minimal about it. Ah, I'm like a broken record on here, it's pointless. Where was the thousands of extra staff that should have been recruited? We've had ICU nurses on here tell us the easiest way to take the burden off them is by having more turning teams, yet it's something the NHS hasn't put in place and their calls for help have largely been ignored.

Fair enough if you want roadblocks and harsh measures like that, but it absolutely won't stop the spread of Coronavirus and it'll probably just end up pissing the public off even more. In most of these studies, the virus is passing on in supermarkets, hospitals, care homes, colleges and schools. I don't know the exact figure but we're probably talking about way less than a percent of cases are caused by someone driving to a secluded spot and going for a walk (aslong as they're following the rules).

You seem to be perfectly happy doing what you're doing, but unfortunately not everyone has the same mental health as you, not everyone is in the same situation as you, not everyone will have family and friends bring them dinner if their cooker breaks, not everyone can go to work all week and happily sit around doing nothing on their one day off, not everyone is happy to not see what could be their last remaining months with their older reletives.

As I've said previously, stop judging people.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Correct I believe that figures quoted are for all vaccinations, which include second vaccinations given (around 200,000).  So there is some way to go.

My eldest works in a care home and to date none of the staff or residents have been vaccinated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reynard said:

Fair enough. But the message hasn't reached me. Moat people seem preoccupied with seeking exact definitions of bubbles, gardens, exercise, rules of six, self.isolations and definitions of local areas. 

I'd rather the government had championed these above listed common sense messages more and a bit less about the other crap