Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

I read somewhere, and I cannot find it again, on a govt poster of some sort that you must stay local - either in your village, town or city "where possible".  Guidance uses those words.  Where possible.  There's your get out clause right there.

Also a city is far bigger than a village and if you're cut off in a village, staying local probably means something a lot different than staying local in an urban area.

Edited by Legend_in_blue

15 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I couldn't believe how many people I had deliveries for were out today. Over half. I'm guessing most people aren't working Saturday, especially whole families and it's not walking weather, could barely see 20m at times. I can only assume the supermarkets were swamped today :dunno:

Exactly the same on my Amazon round. I'd honestly say 80% weren't in.

2 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Exactly the same on my Amazon round. I'd honestly say 80% weren't in.

Not sure what the instruction is for delivery drivers (not you personally, just in general) - but recently, every single delivery driver has just left the item next to the door and legged it off in their van. They've not waited for an answer or to see if the recipient has picked it up. Happened this morning at 8.30am (!!!). Lucky I was awake but I was in bed still. Knock on the door. By the time I got downstairs, I couldn't even see the vehicle the driver had been!

Just now, StanSP said:

Not sure what the instruction is for delivery drivers (not you personally, just in general) - but recently, every single delivery driver has just left the item next to the door and legged it off in their van. They've not waited for an answer or to see if the recipient has picked it up. Happened this morning at 8.30am (!!!). Lucky I was awake but I was in bed still. Knock on the door. By the time I got downstairs, I couldn't even see the vehicle the driver had been!

Amazon drivers are supposed to wait for a response, but they're a rare breed. I'll wait until someone is at the door or at least movement in the house.

If not, I leave it in a place the customer has asked us to. Failing instructions, I'll return it to the station for redelivery. 

Dropping at a neighbour's is no longer an option. We've been specifically instructed to stop this until further notice, due to covid. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Amazon drivers are supposed to wait for a response, but they're a rare breed. I'll wait until someone is at the door or at least movement in the house.

If not, I leave it in a place the customer has asked us to. Failing instructions, I'll return it to the station for redelivery. 

Dropping at a neighbour's is no longer an option. We've been specifically instructed to stop this until further notice, due to covid. 

Interesting, I didn't know that but makes sense I guess.

Like Stan, my Amazon deliveries are usually a bang on the front door and the parcel left on the step then the driver zooms off. 

9 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Interesting, I didn't know that but makes sense I guess.

Like Stan, my Amazon deliveries are usually a bang on the front door and the parcel left on the step then the driver zooms off. 

Yeah same, understandable but didn't know it was a thing. Other delivery companies might want to take note.

Other day I was expecting a delivery from Hermes. 

- Got a notification in morning saying it'll be delivered between 3-5pm. 

- 3.35pm, I get a notification saying it's been delivered. Not a van in sight, not a knock on the door, nothing at front or side of the house...

- App/tracking info just says delivered; no signature or photo of delivery.

- Few hours later, app says they've had issues and delivery will be on the next working day.

- Couple hours after that, neighbour knocks on the door and says we have your package and it was just left at their front door without a knock either lol 

- Hermes app still says it's not been delivered!

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Izzy said:

After our walk around the village this morning I spent the afternoon washing my car (again). I noticed both sets of my neighbors go out for a drive, along with numerous other households on our street. None of them came back with any shopping so I can only assume they all went for a drive to do some exercise :dunno:

When your neighbours go out dogging and don't have the manners to invite you

• Haha 2

Seems to me that the rules in Wales are a lot clearer than England. Level 4 restrictions mean travelling for exercise is not allowed. 

People are still allowed out of their homes to exercise, for unlimited times and periods each day Wales remains in level four, but must maintain social distancing, and not exercise with anyone outside their household, so either alone, with those they live with or with their bubble.

Exercise should start and finish from your home

59 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Public outdoor places include:

• parks, beaches, countryside accessible to the public, forests
  • public gardens (whether or not you pay to enter them)
  • the grounds of a heritage site
  • playgrounds

There we have it. 

How many live within walking distance of a heritage site, virtually no one. So for the government to actually include this in the guidance they are saying it's ok to drive somewhere. 

But for those that don't want to then don't and keep your nose out of other people's business. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Otis said:

There we have it. 

How many live within walking distance of a heritage site, virtually no one. So for the government to actually include this in the guidance they are saying it's ok to drive somewhere. 

But for those that don't want to then don't and keep your nose out of other people's business. 

The recovery from this virus is everyone’s business and thereby anything that impedes it is by extension. I’m not saying we should all start hunting rule breakers but we should definitely make our disapproval known to them. 

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Seems to me that the rules in Wales are a lot clearer than England. Level 4 restrictions mean travelling for exercise is not allowed. 

People are still allowed out of their homes to exercise, for unlimited times and periods each day Wales remains in level four, but must maintain social distancing, and not exercise with anyone outside their household, so either alone, with those they live with or with their bubble.

Exercise should start and finish from your home

Everything starts and ends at home. The day, work, exercise.... It’s not much clearer to a thicko like me.

1 minute ago, Benguin said:

The recovery from this virus is everyone’s business and thereby anything that impedes it is by extension. I’m not saying we should all start hunting rule breakers but we should definitely make our disapproval known to them. 

Totally agree. If they are breaking the rules.

4 minutes ago, Otis said:

There we have it. 

But then the police stop you, impose a fine and send you home. It's the contradiction that's confusing people I think.

Anyway, the scientists think things need to be stricter so who knows..

Covid-19: Lockdown needs to be stricter, scientists warn

Lockdown measures in England need to be stricter to achieve the same impact as the March shutdown, scientists advising the government have said.

Prof Robert West said the current rules were "still allowing a lot of activity which is spreading the virus".

Prof Susan Michie also said the spread of the new more infectious variant meant the restrictions were "too lax".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55602828

4 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Everything starts and ends at home. The day, work, exercise.... It’s not much clearer to a thicko like me.

I think it means not getting in your car. But WTF do I know :dunno:

Lockdown is pretty clear to me. Stay at home unless you need to leave the house. If you’re doing something that you yourself have identified in your head as a ‘grey area’ then really what you are doing is excusing your rule breaking. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Izzy said:

But then the police stop you, impose a fine and send you home. It's the contradiction that's confusing people I think.

That's on the police though abusing their power on some occasions. Can't blame any member of the public travelling locally, going for a walk and claiming 2 people carrying a coffee is a fvcking picnic!! 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

That's on the police though abusing their power on some occasions. Can't blame any member of the public travelling locally, going for a walk and claiming 2 people carrying a coffee is a fvcking picnic!! 

Seems some forces like Derbyshire and Snowdonia are all over it like a rash, where in other areas the police are not so bothered.

Post code lottery I guess...

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yep. Then we see shit like this....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9129555/A-English-lockdown-Met-Police-probe-officers-spotted-flouting-Covid-curbs-INSIDE-London-caf.html

54 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Royal Mail haven't done this, though I've made a personal decision not to ask neighbours. Feel at the moment that RM couldn't give a damn about the health of their staff, much less their customers. They turn a blind eye to those breaking the rules if it means the job gets done. If we all followed the actual rules to the T, and I'm just talking generally, not covid specific, we'd get half the work done.

Stay safe mate!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Anyway, the scientists think things need to be stricter so who knows..

Covid-19: Lockdown needs to be stricter, scientists warn

Lockdown measures in England need to be stricter to achieve the same impact as the March shutdown, scientists advising the government have said.

Prof Robert West said the current rules were "still allowing a lot of activity which is spreading the virus".

Prof Susan Michie also said the spread of the new more infectious variant meant the restrictions were "too lax".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55602828

They won't because...

tenor.gif

15 minutes ago, Otis said:

There we have it. 

Quite right.  Something so very 1950s English housewife  ('look at her!') With all the virtual curtain twitching and tut tutting there's been since March. 

The holier than thou dog walking, blended familied, multi bubbled, just popping round me sister's/ me mam's, boris'll sort it type  punters should perhaps concentrate a bit more on respecting personal space and hand washing (which, frankly, works for me) 

5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Seems some forces like Derbyshire and Snowdonia are all over it like a rash, where in other areas the police are not so bothered.

Post code lottery I guess...

Understandably those two forces containing national parks which are a likely target for long distance journeys