Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Mrs has her first first jab today,got offered it as she is a cleaner in the hospital. next one not until March I think she said. Also said they told her there isn’t much protection at all until the Second jab. Said would prob feel a bit rubbish like a cold for a few weeks as well. 

30 minutes ago, StanSP said:

For anyone who says, or comes across anyone who does, show them this... 

All I take from that is that COVID is only about 3 times as bad as flu in terms of ICU admissions, something we barely give a second thought to.

Of course, that is despite having restrictions in place. So to compare like for like, it'd be worse than 3 times worse.

I just can't help feeling the biggest issue is how stretched the NHS is/was. Any spike was going to burst it.

Edited by Nod.E

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Have we? 

The biggest bugbear I have is that common sense has not been asked nor applied  at any level. I listen to radio 2 and fivelive and every single day there are people calling and texting asking if some bizarre set of circumstances  is allowed 'within the rules' or not

I'm just, like, work it out for your fackin self. 

If people need to question the rules then the rules are not specific enough.  Stay at home but you can go out for walk if it is local, well I would have said that foremark reservoir is local to Ashby. So common sense tells you that walking round a vast open space where on a normal day you hardly see any one is  million more times safer than walking round the local park where everyone is going, but the common sense approach doesn’t work, cos there’s a bunch of coppers lying in wait, whilst I may add taking in the scenery, but not patrolling the local park.

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

There is a MASSIVE amount of work going on behind the scenes by dedicated workers to try to get as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible. It’s happening here in Leicester as we speak 

I'm sure there is and it is going to take a massive amount of wrok to get anywhere near their ambitious targets.

Spoke to my mother-in-law this morning who lives in the North West. She's in her ealry 80s and received a letter yesterday from the NHS instructing her to book a jab online. So she went online and the nearest location was a 25 mile drive whilst another was a 60 mile drive away. The first available appointments were not until the middle of February. As other people on the same street have been phoned by their GP practice and told that they should expect to be called from the end of the first week of February until the end of the month she's decided to wait until he gets a call. These people are all in their 80s. So still some  way to go until even the 70+ are vaccinated in her area, probably the end of March at a guess.

3 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Those saying the two women who drove 5 miles to go for a walk had not broken any rules/ guidelines, yes they had. They live in a tier 4 area and you are not supposed to travel outside of that area, not even to another tier 4 area.

Also, those who try and muddy the waters by saying what do they mean by local, well I doubt you would jump in your car and drive 5 miles to your local shop.

You are allowed to travel between two different tier 4 areas for specified reasons, although I don't believe exercise is one of those reasons, that's limited to your 'local area', but again, what constitutes local area to you might be completely different to me. Some people who live in the countryside (not that these pair probably do mind) won't even have a shop for 2 or 3 miles near them, so getting into the car and traveling 5 miles to go to the shop is an entirely realistic scenario that happens everyday.

I find it absolutely mental that we're at the point now in this country where we're happy to fine people for traveling to go for a peaceful walk on their day off, especially when the circumstances might mean that it's entirely the safest scenario for certain people. If they were travelling 50 miles I'd understand it, but 5 miles? Come on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, reynard said:

I'm sure there is and it is going to take a massive amount of wrok to get anywhere near their ambitious targets.

Spoke to my mother-in-law this morning who lives in the North West. She's in her ealry 80s and received a letter yesterday from the NHS instructing her to book a jab online. So she went online and the nearest location was a 25 mile drive whilst another was a 60 mile drive away. The first available appointments were not until the middle of February. As other people on the same street have been phoned by their GP practice and told that they should expect to be called from the end of the first week of February until the end of the month she's decided to wait until he gets a call. These people are all in their 80s. So still some  way to go until even the 70+ are vaccinated in her area, probably the end of March at a guess.

Apparently a third of over 80s have already been vaccinated according to Hancock.

Maybe next week they'll open up a more local vaccination centre, so hopefully your MIL will be able to get one much sooner.

PS. I'm actually impressed someone in their early 80s would be able to book something online themselves!

5 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

You are allowed to travel between two different tier 4 areas for specified reasons, although I don't believe exercise is one of those reasons, that's limited to your 'local area', but again, what constitutes local area to you might be completely different to me. Some people who live in the countryside (not that these pair probably do mind) won't even have a shop for 2 or 3 miles near them, so getting into the car and traveling 5 miles to go to the shop is an entirely realistic scenario that happens everyday.

I find it absolutely mental that we're at the point now in this country where we're happy to fine people for traveling to go for a peaceful walk on their day off, especially when the circumstances might mean that it's entirely the safest scenario for certain people. If they were travelling 50 miles I'd understand it, but 5 miles? Come on.

Hasn't the lockdown superceded the Tier system anyway?

We live 6 miles from the nearest shop.

Edited by reynard

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Some people have become really strange over the last year. There’s questioning about absolutely everything, I think, borne out of boredom and frustration.

Common sense seems to have gone out the window in favour of ‘what if I did this, what would happen if I do that’ etc rather than ‘let me think this through and be sensible and safe’

There’s a real blame game going on too. ‘The government should have done this, they’ve got this wrong, it’s someone else’s fault etc’

Self responsibility seems to have vanished in favour of critiquing everyone else’s view

Weird times...

A rational post in here for once.

This nails it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Md9 said:

Mrs has her first first jab today,got offered it as she is a cleaner in the hospital. next one not until March I think she said. Also said they told her there isn’t much protection at all until the Second jab. Said would prob feel a bit rubbish like a cold for a few weeks as well. 

Or put it another way, there is a lot of protection after the 1st jab and before the second, hence the reason why the government has delayed the second

Covid-19: Pfizer vaccine efficacy was 52% after first dose and 95% after second dose, paper shows

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4826#:~:text=The study%2C published in the,cases in the placebo group.

4 hours ago, Trumpet said:

I don’t like it when they say “vaccinated”, I think as of Wednesday there were a total of 30k* people that had received the second jab. That to me is vaccinated.

*not 100% numbers, I’m sure I heard them on the news

The current rate of progress of vaccination in the UK is really quite good compared to most of the world. Even so I expect it will be the end of the summer by the time everybody has received at least one jab. Hancock said some pretty stupid stuff this morning but he did concede that the vaccination programme will continue beyond the summer and the autumn flu vaccination drive will probably be combined with coronavirus vaccination. Flu after all is a different type of coronavirus. It would be great if the NHS could step up another level and commit to giving everybody over 50, those considered to be most in need of full protection, their second jab by the summer.

I did see the photos of the Queen and Prince Philip when they announced that they had both received their first jab. Because of their great age they are in the top category and would be getting their jabs about now if they were plain Mr and Mrs Mountbatten-Windsor from Hand Avenue.

I hope that the government announces that none of its' members will be doing any queue jumping. So Boris will probably get his towards the end of March, Rees-Mogg probably a month later and Sunak and Hancock, both outside the priority age groups, not until the summer. I don't expect that this is very likely but if it did happen it would do quite a bit to offset the general feeling that for this government, there is one rule for the general public and another for them.

5 minutes ago, pleatout said:

Or put it another way, there is a lot of protection after the 1st jab and before the second, hence the reason why the government has delayed the second

Covid-19: Pfizer vaccine efficacy was 52% after first dose and 95% after second dose, paper shows

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4826#:~:text=The study%2C published in the,cases in the placebo group.

The 52% was over the average of the 3 week period.  The minute you leave the building after getting the first jab, your protection is nil.  It takes about a fortnight to get going.  Once the vaccine has taken hold and generated the antibodies, or rather taught your body how to produce its own antibodies, then protection from one jab (according to the estimates I have seen) is about 85%.

We will know soon enough.  They are surely collecting data about who is being infected after having the first jab and how long since the jab that it happened.

2 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

The 52% was over the average of the 3 week period.  The minute you leave the building after getting the first jab, your protection is nil.  It takes about a fortnight to get going.  Once the vaccine has taken hold and generated the antibodies, or rather taught your body how to produce its own antibodies, then protection from one jab (according to the estimates I have seen) is about 85%.

We will know soon enough.  They are surely collecting data about who is being infected after having the first jab and how long since the jab that it happened.

Yep, spot on.  My link was the first I found giving a figure for protection from one jab.  But was to refute the statement from the preivious post  that "there isnt much protection until the second jab". 

51 minutes ago, Otis said:

I take it all those people were issued with a fine.

Much easier to fine people on a isolated walk.

Exactly. Yet which one is more likely to spread the virus?

There's zero consistency at all. Large groups of different households standing around = Allowed. Two women travelling 5 miles in seperate cars to go for a walk together = Not allowed.

• Like 1

I worry about these epidemiologists who being rolled out asking for 'asia' style restrictions and 'aim for zero covid'. No western society has managed that and no western society will put up with those sort of restrictions. For example, outdoor mask introduction would be stupid, it would basically eliminate any opportunity of running outside.

• Like 1