Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

7 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

When I arrive for work at Amazon every morning, we have our temperature taken and they send you home if you have a fever. We're also given masks, gloves and sanitiser daily. My van is full of them all.

I would prefer to not have to work at the moment, especially as I have to travel out of my local area, from Northampton to Leicestershire.

Where'd you end up going, Amazon at Bardon?

What's it like there?

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

Where'd you end up going, Amazon at Bardon?

What's it like there?

No. Believe it or not, most of the Amazon parcels delivered in Leicestershire come from the Northampton depot. I even crossed over in to Nottinghamshire today.

Amazon are very regimental about Covid precautions. It's 1 womans job to shout at people who are less than 2 metres apart!

You can't even get in to the building without having your temperature taken.

Useless if you're asymptomatic, but at least it's something.

It's OK, I'd prefer to be doing something else, but needs must right now.

• Like 2

Just now, tom27111 said:

No. Believe it or not, most of the Amazon parcels delivered in Leicestershire come from the Northampton depot. I even crossed over in to Nottinghamshire today.

Amazon are very regimental about Covid precautions. It's 1 womans job to shout at people who are less than 2 metres apart!

You can't even get in to the building without having your temperature taken.

Useless if you're asymptomatic, but at least it's something.

It's OK, I'd prefer to be doing something else, but needs must right now.

There sound like worse places to work, aslong as it's putting money on the table happy days. Stick with it whilst looking for another job, I'm sure something will come up eventually.

• Like 1

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

There sound like worse places to work, aslong as it's putting money on the table happy days. Stick with it whilst looking for another job, I'm sure something will come up eventually.

Thanks, mate. 

It could definitely be worse. I can't moan to be honest.

Can probably see myself doing it for most of this year. Looking at setting up a business, but it's such a risky time to do it.

3 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

What I don’t get is how come all these delivery drivers, dpd, etc, are permitted to carry on. If this virus can spread as easily as they say, ie contact with surfaces, then if just one of them have it, they could potentially be passing it to thousands. And no one can tell me that they take precautions because I know they don’t.

Just seen this...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55604677

Basically, if you can't work from home, the government are saying people will be tested regularly. 

I presume delivery drivers and supermarket staff will be included in that?

Certainly offers me more confidence considering the job I do.

3 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

What I don’t get is how come all these delivery drivers, dpd, etc, are permitted to carry on. If this virus can spread as easily as they say, ie contact with surfaces, then if just one of them have it, they could potentially be passing it to thousands. And no one can tell me that they take precautions because I know they don’t.

Without them we'd have very little retail economy beyond supermarkets left?

6 hours ago, Izzy said:

Seems to me that the rules in Wales are a lot clearer than England. Level 4 restrictions mean travelling for exercise is not allowed. 

People are still allowed out of their homes to exercise, for unlimited times and periods each day Wales remains in level four, but must maintain social distancing, and not exercise with anyone outside their household, so either alone, with those they live with or with their bubble.

Exercise should start and finish from your home

But why?  How does it help to stop the spread of coronavirus if the exercisers are crammed into a limited number of narrow footpaths on busy roads,  when there are extensive arrays of empty paths just a few miles away that we aren't allowed to use? 

As it happens,  my mother needs flat ground to exercise on and we live on a hill.   So I would have a valid reason for driving to exercise anyway.   If the snow clears! 

In the meantime, the UK becomes the first European country to register over 80,000 deaths.

Almost 100% more than Germany, for example

A VERY unenviable statistic..

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-live-news-latest-uk-updates-government-accused-of-over-promising-on-vaccines-ahead-of-commons-lockdown-debate-12178867

Edited by Col city fan

9 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Many, many pound notes.

Got a bloke coming round to sort the walls out on Tuesday, and that's fine. 

And someone (could be male or female as it's from a company and not spoken to the person coming personally) to fix the washing machine on the same day. Apparently that's okay? All needs doing, but god knows. 

Yeah it's all ok apparently but I'm swerving any jobs with other trades at the moment. Painting around other people is crap at the best of times so this is a good excuse to wait till they're gone. 

Edited by Soup

19 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

But she is a 'keyworker' then as her workplace is open so she is expected to be there? If she doesn't go in she isn't getting paid, so can you blame her?

That's why a full lockdown with all these workplaces closed will never work, we can't function as a society if we close them all down.

I blame the rules not the individuals.

Mcdonalds needs to be told they not a key business, if they issue letters claiming they are they will be fined and instead any workers with children who dont have childcare should be put on paid furlough.

If this gets ignored then I would shutdown the business as not been allowed forcing the issue.

Also we managed just fine as a society back in spring when McDonalds was shut.

What far too much of the public dont understand is if they keep resisting restrictions, then this economic pain will be prolonged, they doing themselves no favours.

A keyworker isnt because you expected to be at your job, thats way too vague and wide of a net.  It has been noticed by the education system that the government prior to this lockdown loosened the criteria, they bailed out of what needs to be done still trying to be popular.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

How is driving to a secluded spot and going for a walk going to ramp up Coronavirus cases?

Some people are literally losing their minds over this. If you don't want to do it, fine, but stop passing judgement on others, unless they're breaking the law they're doing nothing wrong.

The first question is how did the friends get there? were they in the same vehicle?

Also The point about the police been draconian proves that draconian policies are needed, these two women no way would have willingly complied with a simple quiet word, they clearly dont accept they in the wrong by the fact they went to the press, if anything this story shows we need more enforcement.

People may be "losing their minds" as you call it because they respect what is happening, hospitals are at breaking point, non covid health care has pretty much stopped, the economy is been strangled.  Yet you shrug it off as if its nothing, people need to learn to comply with the rules, they are very lucky we have a government who is incredibly weak minded so compliance enforcement has been minimal.

Personally I dont understand why at this point we dont have manned roadblocks in place.  Far too many people think the world evolves around them, and dont understand the consequences of their actions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

I blame the rules not the individuals.

Mcdonalds needs to be told they not a key business, if they issue letters claiming they are they will be fined and instead any workers with children who dont have childcare should be put on paid furlough.

If this gets ignored then I would shutdown the business as not been allowed forcing the issue.

Also we managed just fine as a society back in spring when McDonalds was shut.

What far too much of the public dont understand is if they keep resisting restrictions, then this economic pain will be prolonged, they doing themselves no favours.

A keyworker isnt because you expected to be at your job, thats way too vague and wide of a net.  It has been noticed by the education system that the government prior to this lockdown loosened the criteria, they bailed out of what needs to be done still trying to be popular.

Bang on.

As I said a couple of weeks ago, these tiers, these 'lockdowns' (The Nov and this one) don't work and anyone with any common sense can see that.

However if it were to be a short (up to a couple of months), sharp, strict lockdown, I can see, understand and accept the benefits of that. I don't agree with lockdowns, certainly not these half-hearted ones we're seeing, we either do it properly or may aswell not bother at all.

Also I believe the tier system and the current type of lockdowns are harming the economy and causing many more issues (More than the virus itself) than a strict lockdown would.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

Bang on.

As I said a couple of weeks ago.

These tiers, these 'lockdowns' (The Nov and this one) don't work and anyone with any common sense can see that.

However if it were to be a short (up to a couple of months), sharp, strict lockdown, I can see, understand and accept the benefits of that. I don't agree with lockdowns, certainly not these half-hearted ones we're seeing, we either do it properly or may aswell not bother at all.

Also I believe the tier system and the current type of lockdowns are harming the economy and causing many more issues (More than the virus itself) than a strict lockdown would.

I have moaned a lot about the rules, but even with me moaning I have made sure I abided by them.

For me a lockdown should be a sharp swift lockdown, if its heavy handed, then things are under control quicker, and then the economy can be opened up for a while like we had in the summer.  It sounds like we agree 100% on this, weak lockdown's dont work as they just last for infinity.  

Also seems when I quoted 50% for schools I understated it, its been reported we have schools in the city at 70% attendance, a mere 30% reduction isnt going to cut it.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55604382

Anyone know the ones from Leicester?

Name and shame I say.

Once again the British attitude at its finest. Told not to do something, so they go ahead anyway. Told again, to no avail until police show up. 

We really don't help ourselves at times. Awful decisions made by people from top to bottom 

Edited by UniFox21
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

The first question is how did the friends get there? were they in the same vehicle?

Also The point about the police been draconian proves that draconian policies are needed, these two women no way would have willingly complied with a simple quiet word, they clearly dont accept they in the wrong by the fact they went to the press, if anything this story shows we need more enforcement.

People may be "losing their minds" as you call it because they respect what is happening, hospitals are at breaking point, non covid health care has pretty much stopped, the economy is been strangled.  Yet you shrug it off as if its nothing, people need to learn to comply with the rules, they are very lucky we have a government who is incredibly weak minded so compliance enforcement has been minimal.

Personally I dont understand why at this point we dont have manned roadblocks in place.  Far too many people think the world evolves around them, and dont understand the consequences of their actions.

👌
Great post. Personally I think this inability to enforce the ‘the rules’ and people’s completely selfish attitude of being perfectly happy to break them underpins the huge amount of deaths we have seen in the UK due to Covid 

That said, the rules should have been clearer from the outset.

Edited by Col city fan

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

There's no consequences to your actions if you respect social distancing, are out in the fresh air and wash your hands. 

• Like 3