Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Why are kids under the age of 11 exempt from masks? There’s no end of the annoying sprogs getting in my way down the supermarket. Surely they can infect us too? I get it for toddlers, but surely anyone over the age of 6 ish can wear a mask for half an hour.. 

I think enough people will have the vaccine, most people just want to get back to normal. If we're facing a lockdown next winter it definitely won't be because enough people haven't had the vaccine.

Regarding the acting like you're infected campaign, it's a good job we have a vaccine, because if our plan is reliant on all of the population being compliant, then it's destined to fail.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Haven't seen this posted yet but apologies if it has. Only a small sample and study but hopefully positive news.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/new-study-indicates-pfizer-vaccine-successful-against-mutations-of-covid?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=benshapiro

I think what's also been missed and should be given more airtime (purely to see something positive in the news amongst the doom and gloom...) is the finding of the two 'life-saving drugs' - tocilizumab and sarilumab. Can speed up recovery and lessen the time spent in intensive care. 

Already in hospitals as well as it can treat rheumatoid arthritis, so it's readily available. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I think enough people will have the vaccine, most people just want to get back to normal. If we're facing a lockdown next winter it definitely won't be because enough people haven't had the vaccine.

Regarding the acting like you're infected campaign, it's a good job we have a vaccine, because if our plan is reliant on all of the population being compliant, then it's destined to fail.

Getting the vaccine is optional, and it could be argued we require a certain degree compliance to get enough people vaccinated to avoid a lockdown next winter 

Edited by Fktf

1 hour ago, DanNDH88 said:

Why are kids under the age of 11 exempt from masks? There’s no end of the annoying sprogs getting in my way down the supermarket. Surely they can infect us too? I get it for toddlers, but surely anyone over the age of 6 ish can wear a mask for half an hour.. 

Imagine being a primary school teacher....

Info quoted on BBC tonight, comparing this lockdown so far with 1st lockdown last spring:

- Stats show numbers of kids still attending school on "key worker/vulnerable" basis are much higher than 1st lockdown (as recounted by teachers in this thread)

- Stats show numbers using London Underground are much higher than 1st lockdown (also suggesting fewer people are working from home)

- Anecdotal reports that road traffic levels are much higher than 1st lockdown

That all suggests there's a lot more mixing than last spring - at a time when infections are at record levels, infections & hospitalisations are still rising, hospitals are struggling and the mutated virus is more infectious.

In addition, this lockdown isn't as strict as the 1st lockdown in various ways: e.g. communal religious services continuing this time (local mixing).

Then there's all the non-Covid health problems being sidelined - especially if infection rates remain high and hospitals are swamped.

Hopefully the vaccination programme will start to strongly push infection rates down by February, even if the target of 15m vaccinations by mid-Feb isn't quite met......but things look pretty worrying for the next 6 weeks or so.

Hope everyone's keeping as safe as they can - and that we might be over the worst (bad as it looks) by mid-Feb.....

• Like 3

So I went into work Tuesday, and my colleague who sits opposite me says he is feeling unwell. I said you need to go home if you feel unwell, to which his response was nah I will be OK. On the Wednesday, he calls in sick saying he's had a Covid test. Everyone in the office is blasé about it, not looking too much into it as he has a history of being a hypochondriac. Thursday, I roll in work at 11 with a banging headache, and get told he has covid. I immediately go to my manager and say surely we must all self isolate? His says no only if you display symptoms. They haven't quarantined his desk, haven't got anyone in to deep clean the place so I told I would be going straight to get a test due to my parents health issues who I need to help me to look after my son whilst I'm at work. And guess what? I have the fecker, and I'm sure as others have said who have had it and are displaying symptoms, I feel horrendous. At first I thought it was my mind telling me I'm ill as I have provided a positive test. But my head is pounding non stop, I'm light headed, I feel like I've been ran over and the diarrhoea has got me in all sorts of bother. But the worst thing is isolating from my parents and son, it's difficult mentally even after 2 days. I guess what I'm trying to say please take the necessary precautions and stay safe. And if your unsure, just go take a test 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Re comparing this to the first lockdown, more people are out and about because more business sectors have been allowed to stay open.

I find it bizarre that you can have a painter and decorator in your house for example. This wasn’t allowed in the first one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Info quoted on BBC tonight, comparing this lockdown so far with 1st lockdown last spring:

- Stats show numbers of kids still attending school on "key worker/vulnerable" basis are much higher than 1st lockdown (as recounted by teachers in this thread)

- Stats show numbers using London Underground are much higher than 1st lockdown (also suggesting fewer people are working from home)

- Anecdotal reports that road traffic levels are much higher than 1st lockdown

That all suggests there's a lot more mixing than last spring - at a time when infections are at record levels, infections & hospitalisations are still rising, hospitals are struggling and the mutated virus is more infectious.

In addition, this lockdown isn't as strict as the 1st lockdown in various ways: e.g. communal religious services continuing this time (local mixing).

Then there's all the non-Covid health problems being sidelined - especially if infection rates remain high and hospitals are swamped.

Hopefully the vaccination programme will start to strongly push infection rates down by February, even if the target of 15m vaccinations by mid-Feb isn't quite met......but things look pretty worrying for the next 6 weeks or so.

Hope everyone's keeping as safe as they can - and that we might be over the worst (bad as it looks) by mid-Feb.....

Theirs way more workplaces open and things to do open than in March/April time

Loads of places shut last spring that didn’t have to eg McDonald’s, B&Q , loads of construction sites etc

The government can’t keep all these places open then moan when people go too them/ have to go to for work t

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MattFox said:

Theirs way more workplaces open and things to do open than in March/April time

Loads of places shut last spring that didn’t have to eg McDonald’s, B&Q , loads of construction sites etc

The government can’t keep all these places open then moan when people go too them/ have to go to for work t

Lots of retail are offering click and collect services, like Next so still have staff in providing that service

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Super_horns said:
More lockdown restrictions coming?

But tbh will anything make a difference..

People who aren't following guidelines will never do.

Reads more like tougher punishments and more police presence than more lockdown restrictions.

• Like 1

The first lockdown was keyworkers only. 

Now it’s if you can’t work from home you can go into work. 

Loads more workplaces are open compared to previously and also trades are now allowed to work unlike before. 

My old dear was moaning about it last night and saying they shouldn’t be allowed to work, then I pointed out we’re having a carpet fitted todaylol

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Re comparing this to the first lockdown, more people are out and about because more business sectors have been allowed to stay open.

I find it bizarre that you can have a painter and decorator in your house for example. This wasn’t allowed in the first one.

Even more bizarre you can go and view houses etc with the intention of buying one. Why would anyone want to allow people into their house right now unless for emergency repairs?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Facecloth said:

The shouldn't have to be, but at times like this tough measures are called for.

I totally agree, but I do feel you under estimate people’s belief in their right to personal liberty above all else a bit

28 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I totally agree, but I do feel you under estimate people’s belief in their right to personal liberty above all else a bit

These are weird times though. Its not a normal situation. Its short term measures, and people are acting like they are forever going to be stopped from doing things. The irony being the more they break the rules and do these things, the longer these rules stay, and the tougher they'll get. I think we've proven when push comes to shove we can't be trusted to do the right thing for the greater good, so its quite right the government step in and stop us.

• Like 4