Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

9 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

No no no no no, please no.  If profit-making companies had been banned from producing vaccines and the responsibility given to governments to produce the vaccine, does anyone really believe we would be vaccinating already?

And if that isn't a damning indictment against humanity in a crisis, I don't know what is.

the WHO has no power at all. it is literally a non player in all of this.

at the end of the day, vaccines and, in general, basic health material should not only be public rather a topic of global cooperation completely. It should be like this but it is not. the neo liberal model that has supported short sided thinking above all has helped to get us into this too. at the end of the day, just a small virus in china was able to shut the whole world down, who says the same cant happen again? to truly prevent and stop the virus the vaccines must be in hands of a common ditribution system, that can fairly give them out. ie more cooperation between governments and no privatization of any aspect of the scheme. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tuna said:

I will also be refusing AZ.

20 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I've decided not to have the AZ and declined it at Loughborough on Monday 

It puzzles me why anyone would refuse a vaccine; the AZ vaccine has an efficacy rate approaching the Pfizer vaccine unless you fall within the age bracket where it is advised an alternative vaccine, although chance of blood clot is 1:100.000

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/985296/PHE_12015_COVID-19_vaccination_and_blood_clotting_leaflet_v2.pdf

You may not wish to explain your reasons and I understand. However, I do think it is socially responsible for everyone to have a vaccine (unless advised not to), and hopefully you are intending to be vaccinated (with your preference?

I've got my 2nd AZ jab next week. Definitely a bit more apprehensive given they have since stopped giving this to my age group, I'm 35. Got the jab through work. 

Had nothing more than a slight headache last time so sure I'm not going to get off as lightly this time. 

Guest Harrydc
13 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

It puzzles me why anyone would refuse a vaccine; the AZ vaccine has an efficacy rate approaching the Pfizer vaccine unless you fall within the age bracket where it is advised an alternative vaccine, although chance of blood clot is 1:100.000

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/985296/PHE_12015_COVID-19_vaccination_and_blood_clotting_leaflet_v2.pdf

You may not wish to explain your reasons and I understand. However, I do think it is socially responsible for everyone to have a vaccine (unless advised not to), and hopefully you are intending to be vaccinated (with your preference?

I think the reasoning is looking at risk factors. 

A young fit 30 year old will have more chance of having bad effects from the AZ vaccine than covid itself - which let's be honest, doesn't effect younger people. 

Simple as that. 

36 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

Tbh, I don't want a vaccine full stop. I'm perfectly happy to catch the virus if it just infected me. I'm in a category that's unlikely to get particularly ill with it. 

I'm reluctantly taking a vaccine through a mix of peer pressure, a desire to travel, the inevitable vaccine passport and an element of social duty to help the weak.

But, if I'm to take a jab for those reasons, it's on my terms. Pfizer appears to be safer and more resistant to potential mutant strains. And frankly, if i was to.die I'd be more annoyed to die of a blood clot from.AZ, a vaccine I don't personally need,  than i would of covid itself. 

Even a.family.member of a.poster on here (the name I forget) has died from.the AZ jab. That's enough to put me.off.

• Like 1

I've no objection to people asking for Pfizer over AZ if they have the choice. I would stress that the risk from the AZ jab is tiny and I reckon in the long-run the overwhelming majority of people will have better outcomes from taking it than not taking it. But choosing one vaccine over another I think is entirely reasonable.

7 minutes ago, Bryn said:

I've no objection to people asking for Pfizer over AZ if they have the choice. I would stress that the risk from the AZ jab is tiny and I reckon in the long-run the overwhelming majority of people will have better outcomes from taking it than not taking it. But choosing one vaccine over another I think is entirely reasonable.

What about mixed doses?

I had the AZ first time - are there any studies into the safety or effectiveness of the second dose being another vaccine?

6 minutes ago, Buce said:

What about mixed doses?

I had the AZ first time - are there any studies into the safety or effectiveness of the second dose being another vaccine?

Interestingly there is current research into the efficacy of this. There's strong evidence (according to studies) that administering two doses of different products could boost a person's immune response beyond what can be achieved by giving the same shot twice. 

Researchers at Oxford University conducted a study in early February to explore the possible benefits of alternating different COVID-19 vaccines to increase the breadth of protection against emergent variants. I remember Van-Tam saying at the time that this research would yield greater insight into the benefits of combining vaccines - the possibility that the immune response could be enhanced, giving even higher antibody levels that last longer. Of course, this needs to be evaluated via extensive clinical trials. The suggestion is that 'mix and match' could lead to a higher quantity and a wider range of T cells as well as antibodies and may also also broaden the immune response. It also means that the logistics of a national programme/international roll out would be greatly simplified. Further, there's little reason to believe that there would be an adverse reaction or risks associated with a mismatched regimen even though Pfizer is an mRNA vaccine and AZ is vector based. Different vaccines administered as part of a two-dose programme do not directly interact with each other, as the vaccine particles are swiftly cleared by the immune system within days of immunisation meaning there's no remaining vaccine mRNA or vaccine viral vector around when you give a second dose. 

Historically, this has been done before in attempts to boost immune response from HIV, malaria and TB. As I recall, the Ebola vaccine was also mixed regimen. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Harrydc said:

I think the reasoning is looking at risk factors. 

A young fit 30 year old will have more chance of having bad effects from the AZ vaccine than covid itself - which let's be honest, doesn't effect younger people. 

Simple as that. 

It really isn't as simple as that.

A young fit 30 year old does not have more chance of bad side effects (i.e. blood clotting) from the AZ vaccine than bad effects (i.e. severe disease) from Covid. You could however say that the risk of severe side effects of the AZ vaccine is higher than the cumulative chance of catching covid at any given time (i.e now, with cases low) and then subsequently developing severe illness.

That isn't even to mention things like long covid.

Edited by martyn

1 hour ago, oxford blue said:

People should make their own decisions whether they want to take a vaccine or not. They should not be pressured into it by other people because it is "socially responsible" or whatever reason is thrown at those people making them feel bad.

However, those who do not take a vaccine may have to live with some extra complications. Be that the effects of the illness (short and long term) or having to be tested regularly to go to large events/on holiday etc.

I would never force someone to have it by pressuring them into it. Everyone is grown up enough to make a judgement themselves.

I think the uptake in the UK is certainly at a high enough percentage to achieve "herd immunity". If it wasn't, then maybe the Government would have to throw incentives at people (e.g. Serbia I think).

• Like 2

A lot of nonsense has got us to the position where we currently find ourselves, and hopefully the enquiry into the huge mishandling of the whole scenario will make great strides to expose these (wishful thinking I know, Bojo will somehow come out of this smelling of roses no doubt).  However, the vaccine rollout is fully on the NHS, not govt, and for that they are to be commended imo.  Superb effort all round.  Take the vaccine and be done with it.  Can't wait to bin the masks.  :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Buce said:

What about mixed doses?

I haven't looked at the studies but I gather the evidence is reasonably promising and I don't think it is likely to cause a detrimental effect.

19 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

People should make their own decisions whether they want to take a vaccine or not. They should not be pressured into it by other people because it is "socially responsible" or whatever reason is thrown at those people making them feel bad.

However, those who do not take a vaccine may have to live with some extra complications. Be that the effects of the illness (short and long term) or having to be tested regularly to go to large events/on holiday etc.

I would never force someone to have it by pressuring them into it. Everyone is grown up enough to make a judgement themselves.

I think the uptake in the UK is certainly at a high enough percentage to achieve "herd immunity". If it wasn't, then maybe the Government would have to throw incentives at people (e.g. Serbia I think).

You have no idea what you're talking about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oxford blue said:

I'm not refusing a vaccine, I will take one of the alternatives Moderna/Pfizer whatever is offered to under 40s.

2 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

If you can get in at the racecourse, assuming you're local, go there.  The setup there is excellent.

Thanks mate, Grantham though so not viable.

2 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Sounds like this impacts those younger people not vaccinated more than those who have been .

https://mobile.twitter.com/janemerrick23/status/1392551642432778240

So what they are saying is that the evidence suggests that people who have been vaccinated are safe, and there is no evidence that people who haven't been vaccinated will even know they have it, and so WE NEED TO PANIC NOW!  PANIC PANIC PANIC!!!

i would be interested to see how many of these 1,700 cases were serious enough to go to hospital with; and how many even had symptoms at all.  Chances are they were mostly asymptomatic.

6 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

So what they are saying is that the evidence suggests that people who have been vaccinated are safe, and there is no evidence that people who haven't been vaccinated will even know they have it, and so WE NEED TO PANIC NOW!  PANIC PANIC PANIC!!!

i would be interested to see how many of these 1,700 cases were serious enough to go to hospital with; and how many even had symptoms at all.  Chances are they were mostly asymptomatic.

Majority are in young people and there’s been no increase in cases in over 60’s. We will see in the next few days if hospitalisations go up in these areas but you’d hope it’s unlikely. 

• Like 1

All too predictable that June 21st freedom day wouldn’t happen. Vaccines work though, which makes it all the more infuriating  that the people of Bolton et al are still lagging with vaccine numbers.

We would literally be out of the woods if the vaccine refusers had a brain cell between them. Makes my fvcking blood boil.

8 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

All too predictable that June 21st freedom day wouldn’t happen. Vaccines work though, which makes it all the more infuriating  that the people of Bolton et al are still lagging with vaccine numbers.

We would literally be out of the woods if the vaccine refusers had a brain cell between them. Makes my fvcking blood boil.

It’s got very little to do with vaccine refusers. As I mentioned above, the majority of these cases are in young people and fingers crossed hospitalisations will not increase. If anything this will prove that vaccines work. 

There was always going to be an increase in cases when we reopened because this is an infectious disease with little immunity, variants or not. It’s important that we don’t panic at the sign of this happening and vaccinate young people even quicker than we are doing now.

57 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

So add vaccines refusers to the list of people to hate on. 

49 minutes ago, Lionator said:

It’s got very little to do with vaccine refusers. As I mentioned above, the majority of these cases are in young people and fingers crossed hospitalisations will not increase. If anything this will prove that vaccines work. 

There was always going to be an increase in cases when we reopened because this is an infectious disease with little immunity, variants or not. It’s important that we don’t panic at the sign of this happening and vaccinate young people even quicker than we are doing now.

They just need to crack on with getting younger people. We got off to a flyer on the vaccines but there's been a big slowdown. Initially I was due to be done by the start of May but haven't had the chance as of yet.