Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shane

Danny Simpson

2 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

Thought the offence and charges were all dealt with before he joined us?

IIRC he was being charged with something during the title season because there was a story about him at one point not being able to play night matches or matches a certain distance away from his home because he had a 12pm curfew or something like that.

In my book people are allowed second chances and an opportunity to show they've bettered themselves or changed character.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

When you look back now and realise that he and Fuchs were very competitive physically, it's easier to see why we were far better at set pieces.

I think Simpson highlights Justin's poor defensive work even more greatly. We cut him slack because Barnes doesn't drop back, but Simpson had Mahrez in front of him, and wasn't caught out like Justin gets regularly.

It shows how much some of the lads have to learn. I'm pretty sure Justin was directly responsible for more goals conceded in his first 10 games back last season, than Simpson was during his whole time here.

Justin was quite poor defensively when he first came back, particularly in the air, but has regained some form since.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

When you look back now and realise that he and Fuchs were very competitive physically, it's easier to see why we were far better at set pieces.

I think Simpson highlights Justin's poor defensive work even more greatly. We cut him slack because Barnes doesn't drop back, but Simpson had Mahrez in front of him, and wasn't caught out like Justin gets regularly.

It shows how much some of the lads have to learn. I'm pretty sure Justin was directly responsible for more goals conceded in his first 10 games back last season, than Simpson was during his whole time here.

Simpson was helped by the fact he didn’t venture beyond the half way line. JJ does get into good positions high up the pitch which must drain his strength somewhat when asked to defend. However, there is a way that full backs aerially defend the back post and JJ has to do better in this regard. It’s something that improves over time. 
opposition coaches will all have noticed this weakness. Expect them to target him .

8 hours ago, westernpark said:

To put it bluntly he was excellent in our title winning season.

However, I’d hope now the club would sack a player if they were found guilty of his charges. I think the they should stay away from him, in regard to him being an ambassador. 

I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...

Screenshot_20220709-080351~2.png

7 hours ago, sm1 said:

For a player of his height he was an excellent defender. Really surprised how his career has completely collapsed since he left us. Maybe he can come back as a set piece coach, something Rodgers and his staff have massive problems solving. 😁

That's certainly an idea. Very much an unsung hero at times.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

I'm a football fan not some moral gaurdian (he without sin etc). So he will always be a hero to me. I also ended up on the wrong side of the law in my late teens and put it all behind me as I matured so I firmly belive in the power of rehabilitation and 2nd chances. But anyway here's a  few reasons why I disagree with you. 

1. If we were happy to let him carry on playing at the time then having him back in a non playing role shouldn't matter, its pretty 2 faced really. 

2. Criminal convictions are spent after 5 years providing the convicted doesn't re-offend so legally the club couldn't consider it. 

3. He's already been employed by BT, the BBC and man United in non playing roles so don't see why us the club he's rightly considered a legend at should be any different? 

Really good post this. As a player you're an ambassador for the club so as you say its contradictory to say you wouldn't want him here in that kind of role

• Like 1

I think Vichai and Top have had a huge impact on him. I got the impression that Vichai gave him a second chance and he took it with both hands. The guy is one of the legends and the connection with the club should be there forever. Whether there is a position for him on the non playing side I’m sure Top will assess accordingly.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Really lovely to hear the affection alot of our ex players still.have for the club. An underrated part of the title winning side is Simpson. Absolutely rock solid defender for us

I tend to not unfollow players on Instagram when they leave. Even those who didn't have great stays here - Iborra, Silva - will leave random comments on each other's profiles amounting to "once a Fox, always a Fox."

• Like 1

Just now, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I tend to not unfollow players on Instagram when they leave. Even those who didn't have great stays here - Iborra, Silva - will leave random comments on each other's profiles amounting to "once a Fox, always a Fox."

It was such a special time and it really did feel like a family. Hope we build something like that again 

10 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

I'm a football fan not some moral gaurdian (he without sin etc). So he will always be a hero to me. I also ended up on the wrong side of the law in my late teens and put it all behind me as I matured so I firmly belive in the power of rehabilitation and 2nd chances. But anyway here's a  few reasons why I disagree with you. 

1. If we were happy to let him carry on playing at the time then having him back in a non playing role shouldn't matter, its pretty 2 faced really. 

2. Criminal convictions are spent after 5 years providing the convicted doesn't re-offend so legally the club couldn't consider it. 

3. He's already been employed by BT, the BBC and man United in non playing roles so don't see why us the club he's rightly considered a legend at should be any different? 

You make some good points. He certainly has rehabilitated himself and I’m sure his love of the club, is a product of the support offered to him during this time, that undoubtedly helped him. But I was arguing that the club should have sacked him in the first place. I believe he has received his second chance already, being allowed to carry on his football career. 
Just because a criminal conviction is spent, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.
The victim who he was throttling when the police walked in on him, now works for charities that deal with domestic abuse. I’d prefer the club to support them. 
People should always be given second chances, because rehabilitation is far more important than punishment, but the man was 27 at the time, and sometimes actions have permanent consequences. He’s done well and the club did well out of him, he is our de facto ambassador in the media, I just believe it’s a step too far for the club to be paying him as an official ambassador, which should be a permanent consequence of his actions. But I realise my opinion may be different to others and unpopular, as he was a great player and has clearly had a remarkable transformation off the pitch which he must take credit for. 

10 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

I'm a football fan not some moral gaurdian

Not being facetious in any way, but by that flawed logic then you would also have no issue employing Benjamin Mendy and Mason Greenwood once they have served their time.

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

Not being facetious in any way, but by that flawed logic then you would also have no issue employing Benjamin Mendy and Mason Greenwood once they have served their time.

Greenwood not convicted. scoredva great goal at the kp btw

2 hours ago, Line-X said:

Neither have been convicted of any crime. Mendy has been charged with multiple rapes with several women so yes I take your point if found guilty I wouldn't want us to sign him! I guess you have to take it on a case by case basis but draw the line at murder, serial rapists and pedophiles. Its irrelevant in mendys case as he will be well into his 40s by the time he gets out if guilty. 

Greenwood It would never happen as sponsors would be pulling out and too much media heat but personally wouldn't mind if we signed him as 

he was 18 when he allegedly committed his crimes but he will end up playing abroad the Turkish league or something. 

1 minute ago, The whole world smiles said:

Neither have been convicted of any crime.

It was purely hypothetical and simply intended to highlight the flawed logic in your statement. 

2 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Its irrelevant in mendys case as he will be well into his 40s by the time he gets out if guilty. 

Doesn't matter. We are discussing employing a former offender in the future in any capacity. 

5 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

The two things are unconnected.  

No they aren't. The examples were purely to highlight the flawed logic of the original statement. That's all. 

6 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

If he is convicted then it highlights the wasted talent. 

No, if he is convicted it highlights that he's a violent rapist - who gives two shits that he was a professional footballer. But again, that wasn't the point. 

• Like 1