Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shane

Danny Simpson

Thoroughly surprised how long it took him to finally find a club, especially ending up at a side as poor as Huddersfield. Listening to him on the beautiful game podcast a couple of weeks ago, we offered him another contract but he knew he wasn’t going to play ahead of Ricardo and wanted first team football as he edges towards the back end of his career, it sounded to me like he regrets that decision now and was surprised at the lack of interest in him. 

He could easily do a job still for most prem teams, I would of thought he walked straight into atleast 5 or 6 sides, and could of been invaluable at sides like Villa or Norwich with their lack of premier league experience.

Edited by Ross 'LCFC' Turner
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

Thoroughly surprised how long it took him to finally find a club, especially ending up at a side as poor as Huddersfield. Listening to him on the beautiful game podcast a couple of weeks ago, we offered him another contract but he knew he wasn’t going to play ahead of Ricardo and wanted first team football as he edges towards the back end of his career, it sounded to me like he regrets that decision now and was surprised at the lack of interest in him. 

He could easily do a job still for most prem teams, I would of thought he walked straight into atleast 5 or 6 sides, and could of been invaluable at sides like Villa or Norwich with their lack of premier league experience.

He probably needs a better agent.

3 hours ago, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

I thought he had offers but was looking for one that suited him. 

30 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Re sign him? bring him on if we ever take the lead.

That struck me as totally bizarre initially, but if there's an option of doing that (I assume not due to squad registrations etc.) then it would actually be a very useful for the next month. Experienced, solid defensively and winning mentality.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
7 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Thats a slightly cynical viewpoint. I believe his affection for the club is genuine and i also respect the fact that he didn't want to become a bit part player 

Wasn’t meaning it to come across quite like that

he does have genuine affection for us - he clearly has a hole in his life having left here 

his thoughts that he wished he’d stuck around to be back up to Ricky is a bit of a stretch. He simply wasn’t able to play the full back role at the level we needed at that stage of his career. 

• Like 3

Just now, st albans fox said:

Wasn’t meaning it to come across quite like that

he does have genuine affection for us - he clearly has a hole in his life having left here 

his thoughts that he wished he’d stuck around to be back up to Ricky is a bit of a stretch. He simply wasn’t able to play the full back role at the level we needed at that stage of his career. 

I agree with this

31 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Really lovely to hear the affection alot of our ex players still.have for the club. An underrated part of the title winning side is Simpson. Absolutely rock solid defender for us

....it helped with the arrangement in relation to Mahrez, he covers the right side of the defense and we do not look for him to support the attack!!!

Rodgers sets his stall out regarding the supporting FB, it really does not have to be, it can work without the RW or the LW constantly having to track back.

• Like 3

To put it bluntly he was excellent in our title winning season.

However, I’d hope now the club would sack a player if they were found guilty of his charges. I think the they should stay away from him, in regard to him being an ambassador. 

38 minutes ago, westernpark said:

To put it bluntly he was excellent in our title winning season.

However, I’d hope now the club would sack a player if they were found guilty of his charges. I think the they should stay away from him, in regard to him being an ambassador. 

....it is a difficult thing for us to put him in a position that is representative of the club, and what it stands for!!!

Perhaps not a situation we need to put him in, but he does tend to present a positive image of the club in his interviews, and maybe has become, a defacto ambassador without the official title.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling Error.
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, enmac said:

So he started out as a CB. I remember his back post headers were crucial for 2015/16. Could do worse than having him as a backup for that role, although I haven't seen him playing recently. 

For a player of his height he was an excellent defender. Really surprised how his career has completely collapsed since he left us. Maybe he can come back as a set piece coach, something Rodgers and his staff have massive problems solving. 😁

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, enmac said:

So he started out as a CB. I remember his back post headers were crucial for 2015/16. Could do worse than having him as a backup for that role, although I haven't seen him playing recently. 

....he played in some games for the U23s when he came back, he seemed a yard or so too slow easily beaten by players running past him!!!

It was proof that he was no longer the same player, or needed fine-tuning.

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

1. If we were happy to let him carry on playing at the time then having him back in a non playing role shouldn't matter, its pretty 2 faced really. 

Thought the offence and charges were all dealt with before he joined us?

• Like 2

When you look back now and realise that he and Fuchs were very competitive physically, it's easier to see why we were far better at set pieces.

I think Simpson highlights Justin's poor defensive work even more greatly. We cut him slack because Barnes doesn't drop back, but Simpson had Mahrez in front of him, and wasn't caught out like Justin gets regularly.

It shows how much some of the lads have to learn. I'm pretty sure Justin was directly responsible for more goals conceded in his first 10 games back last season, than Simpson was during his whole time here.

• Like 2