Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Possible 2nd lockdown for Leicester?

6 hours ago, Fktf said:

So you're saying there is a problem in Leicester because cases are rising, but the stats that are being reported to the public to demonstrate this could be improved? 

I think you almost getting it.

I am saying I acknowledge there is problems within Leicester for Covid.

But the justification given for the lockdown is based on misreported misleading statistics.

In almost every statement Hancock is referring to the per 100k cases.

Guest Fktf
1 minute ago, Chrysalis said:

I think you almost getting it.

I am saying I acknowledge there is problems within Leicester for Covid.

But the justification given for the lockdown is based on misreported misleading statistics.

In almost every statement Hancock is referring to the per 100k cases.

It's a shame we've come to an agreement - discussing this would be more interesting than sitting through the 2nd half!

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/action-taken-after-health-safety-4351863

Action taken after the Health and Safety Executive visits Leicester textiles firms
'All workers in the textiles industry, including those working in clothing factories, have the right to work in a safe environment'

ByAmy OrtonLocal Democracy Reporter
11:02, 22 JUL 2020
0_workshop.jpg

Workshop conditions have been under the spotlight (Image: Getty)

Enforcement action has been taken at eight Leicester garment factories since the start of lockdown.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is also considering further enforcement action at other local firms “where non-compliance with Covid-19 risk controls has been found,” according to Baroness Stedman-Scott, the Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions.

She said that spot-checks in Leicester had been prioritised since the lockdown.

Inspections have been stepped up after concerns have been raised over working conditions and pay rates being well below minimum wage.

The issue gained national attention when the local lockdown was introduced with many linking high infection rates to the city's textiles industry, but Public Health England maintain that the outbreak was not linked to any one setting or sector.

A multi-agency response was triggered which has also seen the police, council and the Gangmasters and Labour Abuse Authority visit some of the area's 1,000 garment manufacturers.

The GLAA said it found no evidence of modern slavery in visits it has made to Leicester textile firms at the start of the month.

The HSE has inspected 34 textile firms in Leicester since the start of the national coronavirus lockdown. The firms inspected or where action has been taken have not been named.

A question was put to Baroness Deborah Stedman-Scott about Leicester’s clothing factories by Baroness Jenny Tonge.

She asked: “What health and safety regulations are in place to protect workers' rights in clothing factories; and what assessment they have made of the adherence to those regulations of clothing factories in Leicester?”

In a written answer, Baroness Stedman-Scott said: “Specifically, since the lockdown, in Leicester HSE has inspected 34 textile businesses to assess compliance with health and safety legislation. Enforcement action has been taken at eight of these premises.”

She added: “HSE will continue to regulate workplaces by carrying out proactive spot checks over the coming weeks to ensure that appropriate measures are in place to protect workers from Covid-19.

“In Leicester, HSE has prioritised these spot checks in the textile industry and will take enforcement action to secure compliance where businesses cannot demonstrate they are taking all reasonable steps to make their workplace Covid secure.

“HSE will also continue to respond to reports of concerns raised.

Outlining the more general response, she went on:

“All workers in the textiles industry, including those working in clothing factories, have the right to work in a safe environment and are afforded protection under the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and associated Regulations.

“HSE has been working alongside other government departments across a range of sectors following up reports and concerns about safety in the workplace and Covid-19 restrictions.”

• Like 1

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/20-leicestershire-areas-50-more-4356238

Twenty Leicestershire areas now have 50 or more confirmed cases of coronavirus.

Latest weekly data shows the areas where the number of cases has reached 50 or above since the start of the pandemic.

A quarter of the areas included are within the Oadby and Wigston lockdown zone. Restrictions still remain in the area and will be reviewed by August 1.

The data shows the Middle Super Output Areas (MSOA) - a measure used to report statistics in areas that have an average population of 7,200 - that have had the highest number of cases.

There are 87 MSOAs in Leicestershire in total.

• Oadby North & East - 135
  • Thurmaston - 100
  • Wigston Town - 100
  • Hinckley Central - 95
  • Oadby South & West - 80
  • Braunstone Town - 80
  • Birstall Wanlip & Riverside -75
  • Wigston North -75
  • Loughborough Lemyngton & Hastings - 65
  • Houghton, Thurnby & Scraptoft - 65
  • Loughborough Storer & Queen's Park - 60
  • Enderby & GlenParva - 55
  • Earl Shilton - 55
  • Glenfield - 55
  • Market Harborough South & LittleBowden - 55
  • Desford & Newbold Verdon - 50
  • South Wigston - 50
  • Kibworth & Great Glen - 50
  • Thorpe Astley - 50
  • Syston East -50

Data included in the Leicestershire County Council report put together using Public Health England figures also shows the areas with the highest infection rate per 100,000 population.

The areas are plotted on a graph without specific rates but against a chart marking 500 and 1,000 cases.

Wigston Town has the highest infection rate with more than 1,000. Hinckley central’s rate is also more than 1,000.

Thurmaston, Oadby South & West, Wigston North, Oadby North & East, Birstall Wanlip & Riverside, Houghton, Thurnby & Scraptoft, Braunstone Town and Loughborough Garendon all have a rate higher than 750.

Syston East, Thorpe Astley, South Wigston, Shepshed East, Whetstone, Burbage St Catherines, Market Harborough Central, Ashby de la Zouch South, Desford & Newbold Verdon and Kirby Muxloe & Thurlaston all have rates higher than 500.

On 22/07/2020 at 13:21, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/action-taken-after-health-safety-4351863

Action taken after the Health and Safety Executive visits Leicester textiles firms
'All workers in the textiles industry, including those working in clothing factories, have the right to work in a safe environment'

ByAmy OrtonLocal Democracy Reporter
11:02, 22 JUL 2020
0_workshop.jpg

Workshop conditions have been under the spotlight (Image: Getty)

Enforcement action has been taken at eight Leicester garment factories since the start of lockdown.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is also considering further enforcement action at other local firms “where non-compliance with Covid-19 risk controls has been found,” according to Baroness Stedman-Scott, the Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions.

She said that spot-checks in Leicester had been prioritised since the lockdown.

Inspections have been stepped up after concerns have been raised over working conditions and pay rates being well below minimum wage.

The issue gained national attention when the local lockdown was introduced with many linking high infection rates to the city's textiles industry, but Public Health England maintain that the outbreak was not linked to any one setting or sector.

A multi-agency response was triggered which has also seen the police, council and the Gangmasters and Labour Abuse Authority visit some of the area's 1,000 garment manufacturers.

The GLAA said it found no evidence of modern slavery in visits it has made to Leicester textile firms at the start of the month.

The HSE has inspected 34 textile firms in Leicester since the start of the national coronavirus lockdown. The firms inspected or where action has been taken have not been named.

A question was put to Baroness Deborah Stedman-Scott about Leicester’s clothing factories by Baroness Jenny Tonge.

She asked: “What health and safety regulations are in place to protect workers' rights in clothing factories; and what assessment they have made of the adherence to those regulations of clothing factories in Leicester?”

In a written answer, Baroness Stedman-Scott said: “Specifically, since the lockdown, in Leicester HSE has inspected 34 textile businesses to assess compliance with health and safety legislation. Enforcement action has been taken at eight of these premises.”

She added: “HSE will continue to regulate workplaces by carrying out proactive spot checks over the coming weeks to ensure that appropriate measures are in place to protect workers from Covid-19.

“In Leicester, HSE has prioritised these spot checks in the textile industry and will take enforcement action to secure compliance where businesses cannot demonstrate they are taking all reasonable steps to make their workplace Covid secure.

“HSE will also continue to respond to reports of concerns raised.

Outlining the more general response, she went on:

“All workers in the textiles industry, including those working in clothing factories, have the right to work in a safe environment and are afforded protection under the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and associated Regulations.

“HSE has been working alongside other government departments across a range of sectors following up reports and concerns about safety in the workplace and Covid-19 restrictions.”

they said all this in 1974, 84 94 2004,2014, last year.....

corruption Control means corrupt business,corrupt authority, and Frontline politicians....

or incompetent,lacking Any qualification,so just a  job "for the boys/girls " with Boris Johnson syndrome & Corbyn organisation..

Still no count figures released in my FOI request, but some insight to the possible test counts.

A BBC article has revealed as of a few days ago Leicester infection rate for tests carried out is now around 1.9% (was over 10% when entering lockdown), national average is apparently about 1.4%.

Our cases per 100k population however has only halved, so we can guestimate from this that testing rates in the city are indeed much higher than other areas.

I am still gobsmacked that the Mayor refused an invitation to redraw the lines, my assumption is he doesnt want to alienate those parts of the city, by having them only affected by a lockdown.

37 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Review on Thursday then isn't it? Can't see it being extended indefinitely. I think we'll be given a date of when everything opens up again, but I'm not sure if it will be next weekend or the one after.

1st August I think. The next review/announcement that is. 

13 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Review on Thursday then isn't it? Can't see it being extended indefinitely. I think we'll be given a date of when everything opens up again, but I'm not sure if it will be next weekend or the one after.

The new figures are certainly good, and politically they may realise if we are kept in lockdown, questions will be asked why blackburn etc. are not in lockdown, so that pressure might make it released, I expect more likely either more slight easing off or the lockdown area to be reduced in size.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/boohoo-planning-create-250-jobs-4368911

Boohoo planning to create 250 jobs at new Leicester factory
New factory 'will be up and running in months with capacity to produce 50,000 garments a week'

ByTom PegdenBusiness Editor
17:15, 27 JUL 2020

Fashion brand Boohoo is planning to create 250 jobs at a new Leicester factory.

The company has confirmed that it bought a former car showroom on the northern edge of the city six weeks ago.

It has now revealed it plans to go into partnership with an existing manufacturer to launch the factory, which it says will have the capacity to produce about 50,000 garments per week.

Around 40 per cent of the chain’s clothes are already made in the city.

The deal to buy the ex-Vauxhall dealership in Thurmaston Lane, in an industrial area on Leicester’s outer ring-road, was struck prior to fresh headlines emerging of workers being exploited at a factory in the city said to be making items destined for the chain.

The company's board said it was “shocked and appalled” after the Sunday Times sent an undercover reporter to work at a garment factory in Leicester earlier this month.

The group – whose brands include Boohoo, BoohooMAN, PrettyLittleThing and Nasty Gal – has taken a PR battering since then, with £1.7 billion wiped off its market value.

It has appointed Alison Levitt QC to look into its UK supply chain and promised to rebuild the battered reputation of clothes makers in Leicester.

The company, which was co-founded by billionaire Mahmud Kamani, said it hoped to start producing clothes for its PrettyLittleThing and Nasty Gal brands at the Leicester site by September.

A Boohoo spokesman told LeicestershireLive: "We can confirm that Boohoo purchased a former car showroom site in Leicester about six weeks ago to develop a model garment manufacturing facility as a joint venture with a garment manufacturer.

"It is anticipated that it will employ up to 250 people and will have the capacity to produce about 50,000 garments per week."

Speaking to the Mail on Sunday, Boohoo boss John Lyttle said building the factory was part of a plan to copy the success of Spanish fashion giant and Zara owner Inditex.

The ability to make its own lines in the city would give Boohoo the ability to replace stock more efficiently.

In the interview, Mr Lyttle said the reports about existing factory conditions in Leicester had been “upsetting”, and added that if the new site could not be completed in time he would consider opening a temporary factory nearby.

He said: “Number one, this factory is a commitment to UK manufacturing. But it’s also about making sure we can support our growth with a level of in-house production.

“Inditex have a number of joint ventures in Spain and in Portugal that they work with and that really help their flexibility – it’s not dissimilar to that.

“Let’s get this one up and running, prove the model. And then decide and see where we go from there.

“We’re not manufacturers but we feel confident we can execute this and we can make this factory successful.”

Mr Lyttle said the business worked with 150 manufacturers in the city, often switching between them, but with a core 40 making up 80 per cent of production.

He said although Leicester’s factories were "the most expensive by far" of all the countries he buys from, they could replenish orders for just a few hundred items in as little as two days.

He told the Mail on Sunday: “I think we can get on top of this. I mean, remember, this is the UK. This is not a country on the other side of the world. This is a city in the UK.”

Deputy Leicester mayor Councillor Adam Clarke said: "Anyone looking to invest in the city should be talking to our inward investment team and other relevant departments, such as planning.

"If a business is genuinely seeking to positively support an ethical local economy from within the city, one that protects both people and the environment from exploitation, then I would very much welcome a discussion so that together we can maximise the opportunity.

“Leicester City Council is committed to doing what is necessary to promote good jobs and drive out bad jobs in this sector and any other sector.”

A Boohoo spokeswoman said: "Boohoo completed the purchase of a 2.5 acre site in Leicester at the end of June.

"This is an exciting new stage in the company’s commitment to UK manufacturing, owning and operating a centre of excellence that celebrates the skills available in the UK and once again makes a Made in Britain label something we can all be proud of.

"Plans for the site are still in development and we will work with the local officials and the local community to create a something that shines a light on manufacturing excellence in Leicester."

• Like 1

I am sceptical given they chose Leicester, we have a population ripe to been taken advantage of for working conditions.

In terms of the numbers here is the 27 July update, source Leicester Mercury.

Leicester’s seven-day infection rate again dropped according to figures released today. It now stands at 58.6 cases per 100,000 people.

A tory MP has came out saying the same as I have been saying for weeks, that cases per 100k population is a flawed metric, because its heavily manipulated by the amount of people been tested.  Given we now have that number with the amount of testing we doing our case rate per test, must be quite impressive now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

I am sceptical given they chose Leicester, we have a population ripe to been taken advantage of for working conditions.

In terms of the numbers here is the 27 July update, source Leicester Mercury.

A tory MP has came out saying the same as I have been saying for weeks, that cases per 100k population is a flawed metric, because its heavily manipulated by the amount of people been tested.  Given we now have that number with the amount of testing we doing our case rate per test, must be quite impressive now.

Exactly this.  The larger the sample, the more accurate the results and the less the figures need to be manipulated to scale them up for rudimentary comparison purposes.

It's one of the basic principles of statistics and causes of bias.  A smaller sample size will lead to inaccuracies.

When you factor in geographical location within the city itself, this only skews the data further.

I'm amazed a statistician hasn't questioned the approach, although maybe they have and told to keep quiet.  

13 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Exactly this.  The larger the sample, the more accurate the results and the less the figures need to be manipulated to scale them up for rudimentary comparison purposes.

It's one of the basic principles of statistics and causes of bias.  A smaller sample size will lead to inaccuracies.

When you factor in geographical location within the city itself, this only skews the data further.

I'm amazed a statistician hasn't questioned the approach, although maybe they have and told to keep quiet.  

I dont mean in terms of accuracy, I mean that the case count per 100k population is not a hit rate per test, its basically you test more you find more, I am glad the tory MP spoke out, as boris may listen to one of his own.

You are right on the sample size accuracy of course, but I think you misunderstood what I meant.

So e.g. if you test 10000 people and have a 2% hit rate, then you have 200 confirmed cases..

If you test 1000 people and have a 4% hit rate (twice the rate of infection) you would only have 40 confirmed cases.

Thats what i mean by misleading.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Innovindil said:

About time that Vauxhall place was actually used for something. Nice bit of estate sat there doing nothing for ages. Now if we could just get something of use on the Paprika site... :unsure:

i remember going in that place when it was a kids play restaurant thing. from what i remember it kept changing afterwards to different things

23 hours ago, Innovindil said:

About time that Vauxhall place was actually used for something. Nice bit of estate sat there doing nothing for ages. Now if we could just get something of use on the Paprika site... :unsure:

Think they're looking at putting a hotel there. 

1 hour ago, stix said:

Apparently the lockdown review has been moved forward to this Thursday(30th July)

I'm thinking this is because we're on top of it? I can't imagine they'd bring it forward only to extend it.

Actually, given how things have gone so far, I can imagine it.

2 hours ago, stix said:

Apparently the lockdown review has been moved forward to this Thursday(30th July)

18 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I'm thinking this is because we're on top of it? I can't imagine they'd bring it forward only to extend it.

Wasn't the last review due on the Saturday, but got brought forward to the Thursday? So it's two weeks this Thursday? 

17 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Im thinking the same. From the stats that I can pick out of the Mercury article it suggests that cases are dropping significantly. Down to 59 per 100,000 inside the city limits and down to just 11 across the county, including Oadby & Wigston. 

For me the simple facts are that no other City in the country is in enforced localised lockdown, yet other cities around the country have the same or higher infection rates. 

3 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Wasn't the last review due on the Saturday, but got brought forward to the Thursday? So it's two weeks this Thursday? 

Yeah that’s correct. Last review was on Thursday 16th July. 

It’s was due to be reviewed on Saturday 1st August, up until today when it was announced that the review was being brought forward to 30th July. 

Edited by stix