Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Possible 2nd lockdown for Leicester?

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

I've received a letter from my daughter's school today regarding her return in September. If things don't change there is no way she's going back. 

The school said that, or you've decided, based on the content of the letter, that this is going to happen?

35 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I'm not understanding the latest govt logic behind when and when not a mask is appropriate.

From a not wearing a mask perspective, how is sitting in an office all day less of a risk than spending an hour in a shop?  Likewise, for example come September, how is it less of a risk being in a room full of pupils compared to spending time in shops?

They just make it up as they go along.

Because when you are in an office, you are around the (or should be around) the same people constantly, who you should distance from. If you are in a crowded shop, you run into multiple people who you don't regularly have contact with. The same reasoning applies to schools.

And of course they are making it up as they go along ffs, which is exactly what they should be doing. Should we be sticking with original orders and carrying on as usual so as not to be making it up as we go along? :unsure:

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

The school said that, or you've decided, based on the content of the letter, that this is going to happen?

Sorry that wasn't very clear. I have decided that I'm not prepared to send her back unless the situation has changed regarding the level of infection locally. What the school have outlined seems reasonable under the circumstances. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I'm not understanding the latest govt logic behind when and when not a mask is appropriate.

From a not wearing a mask perspective, how is sitting in an office all day less of a risk than spending an hour in a shop?  Likewise, for example come September, how is it less of a risk being in a room full of pupils compared to spending time in shops?

They just make it up as they go along.

In an office you can maintain social distance by  two metre distance of desks, single use of toilets and kitchens. The ability to track/trace is easy. 

Same can’t be said of supermarkets. Where despite best efforts, they are points where the distances are smaller and the process of recording people entering the store would be huge. 

Schools I agree are more complex. 

It’s all about reducing the risk - little steps which attempt to do that 

6 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Sorry that wasn't very clear. I have decided that I'm not prepared to send her back unless the situation has changed regarding the level of infection locally. What the school have outlined seems reasonable under the circumstances. 

I wouldn't worry about the situation changing between now and September. it is almost certain to have.

19 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

I've received a letter from my daughter's school today regarding her return in September. If things don't change there is no way she's going back. 

I am not keen on sending mine back either to be honest. My youngest is 4 and going to be in reception I doubt that will be easy to keep socially distanced

1 minute ago, Md9 said:

I am not keen on sending mine back either to be honest. My youngest is 4 and going to be in reception I doubt that will be easy to keep socially distanced

My daughter's on the other end of this she's been 'teaching' a class of under 5s three times a week since early May, I can assure you she's not deliriously happy about it either. The only thing that helps is that a lot of them are children of Key Workers.

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

My daughter's on the other end of this she's been 'teaching' a class of under 5s three times a week since early May, I can assure you she's not deliriously happy about it either. The only thing that helps is that a lot of them are children of Key Workers.

I think the teachers that have had to go in all the way through this are doing a good job I have seen stuff from our school which they post and they have been keeping them apart pretty well but as you say a lot are key children once they all go back I think it will be so difficult for them to do especially the under 5s that just want to play with their friends and not be sat away from each other all day. It’s just such a nightmare isn’t it. It will be so stop start as well if one child is not well or a teacher gets unwell from it it will have to shut then open again. 

3 hours ago, Md9 said:

I'm not at all trying to be contrary or blasé, but why aren't you keen? Is it fear of your child getting it? Or fear of thwm passing it on? 

I ask as I genuinely couldn't give a monkey's about mine going back. I'd send them tomorrow. Wouldn't even check the guidelines. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I'm not at all trying to be contrary or blasé, but why aren't you keen? Is it fear of your child getting it? Or fear of thwm passing it on? 

I ask as I genuinely couldn't give a monkey's about mine going back. I'd send them tomorrow. Wouldn't even check the guidelines. 

I can't answer for the guy, but if it were me it would certainly be the bolded.

Fact is, notwithstanding the deaths it causes we still don't know enough about the damage this virus causes to the body long-term in both young and old in some cases, and that, among other factors, makes me wonder why the attitudes of some toward it and guarding against it are so cavalier.

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I can't answer for the guy, but if it were me it would certainly be the bolded.

Fact is, notwithstanding the deaths it causes we still don't know enough about the damage this virus causes to the body long-term in both young and old in some cases, and that, among other factors, makes me wonder why the attitudes of some toward it and guarding against it are so cavalier.

Yeah, I personally wouldn't be cavalier and although I'm not too worried for myself or my kids, I'd hate to pass it on to somebody who's frightened or vulnerable...but I'm comfortable that my kids realise that life comes with some risk.  The alternative option is to close the door on the world and I don't want them to learn that habit

26 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

For me it's a bit of both. I've read enough about it to realise that it's a very nasty virus to contract. Regardless of how much you actually suffer with it at the time there's so much evidence now about the long term damage it can cause to virtually every organ in the body, including mental impairment. Even people who showed no symptoms have been found to have severe long term damage. So until a vaccine can be found I'm quite happy to keep us all as safe as possible 

12 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Yeah, I personally wouldn't be cavalier and although I'm not too worried for myself or my kids, I'd hate to pass it on to somebody who's frightened or vulnerable...but I'm comfortable that my kids realise that life comes with some risk.  The alternative option is to close the door on the world and I don't want them to learn that habit

Woth respect, I don't think that's an accurate dichotomy.

It's perfectly possible to accept a lower amount of risk in "normal" times and carry on while engaging in reasonable risk management in less normal times where the risk is increased, like the present ones. Unless one thinks that the risk isn't really increased much at all, of course, which I honestly can't get my head around given what is known.

22 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

At the risk of sounding like I'm repeating Mac, I forgot to reply to this bit too, and I agree with him. I don't feel like my family and I have shut the door on the world, we've just adjusted to a new way of life 

11 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Woth respect, I don't think that's an accurate dichotomy.

It's perfectly possible to accept a lower amount of risk in "normal" times and carry on while engaging in reasonable risk management in less normal times where the risk is increased, like the present ones. Unless one thinks that the risk isn't really increased much at all, of course, which I honestly can't get my head around given what is known.

I get that. But the risk to kids themselves of course is pretty much at zero.  Or at least on a par with meningitis or whatever. 

And, if I'm truthful, I perhaps deep down believe that this thing is possibly here to stay ....and at some point everyone is indeed gonna have to get used to it whether they want to or not.

11 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

At the risk of sounding like I'm repeating Mac, I forgot to reply to this bit too, and I agree with him. I don't feel like my family and I have shut the door on the world, we've just adjusted to a new way of life 

Again, I get your sentiment. But a new way of life that doesn't involve School for your kids? 

I'm not sure that's healthy or sustainable

5 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I get that. But the risk to kids themselves of course is pretty much at zero.  Or at least on a par with meningitis or whatever. 

And, if I'm truthful, I perhaps deep down believe that this thing is possibly here to stay ....and at some point everyone is indeed gonna have to get used to it whether they want to or not.

Aha, now I understand your thinking a bit more, thank you.

I personally think, judging by what I've read that we will have a vaccine capable of at least reducing risk from this to the same levels as winter flu, and we will have it available before the year is out. All people have to do is hold out with the world as it is until then.

11 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Again, I get your sentiment. But a new way of life that doesn't involve School for your kids? 

I'm not sure that's healthy or sustainable

This all depends on the ages of the children I guess, and also how adaptable they are, if mine were still young I might feel differently. But my youngest is 13 so has obviously been brought up in a digital world, and she's more than happy working online, and having zoom calls for school. She's constantly, and I do mean constantly, on Facetime with all her friends, so she is absolutely fine. She's also old enough to understand and accept why things have changed. My younger son is 16, and again he's fine, interacting with his mates online, plus he's got out of taking his GCSEs!