Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DerbyshireFox

End of Season Awards 19/20

29 minutes ago, Corky said:

Vardy and Izzet have been with us a combined 16 seasons, are probably the two most popular players in the past 20/25 years and neither have been player of the season.

Has their brilliance just been normalised and taken as a given? Izzet could easily have won it in 1999/00 (was sensational for part of that year) and although Dickov was an understandable winner in 2002/03, Izzet along with Merson ran that division. Vardy could've won it in 2013/14, 2015/16 and from 2017-now really.

Pretty much. 

Vardy scoring 98 PL goals in 5 seasons is phenomenal. It would be impressive at Liverpool, Man City or the other big clubs but to do it here is even harder.

It's taken for granted how few teams have a 20 goal striker and we have one. 

But let's vote for a defender... lol

Edited by Stevosevic
  • Haha 2

Guest ttfn

Vardy definitely should have won it in 2017-18 and the fact he hasn’t won it despite all he’s achieved is mad.

I just don’t think he’s been our best player this season. Ndidi, Evans and Ricardo have all had really good seasons too and you can make a case for any of them. 

People talk about Vardy being the best goal scorer in the league this season as a definitive reason for him having to be the player of the season but there’s more to football than shooting. Ndidi is obviously never going to win the golden boot but he has excelled both statistically and against the eye test this season and has been by a distance the best out-and-out defensive midfield player in the league.

2 hours ago, ttfn said:

Vardy definitely should have won it in 2017-18 and the fact he hasn’t won it despite all he’s achieved is mad.

I just don’t think he’s been our best player this season. Ndidi, Evans and Ricardo have all had really good seasons too and you can make a case for any of them. 

People talk about Vardy being the best goal scorer in the league this season as a definitive reason for him having to be the player of the season but there’s more to football than shooting. Ndidi is obviously never going to win the golden boot but he has excelled both statistically and against the eye test this season and has been by a distance the best out-and-out defensive midfield player in the league.

Weigh up what a bigger achievement is though, being golden boot winner or being the best defensive midfielder in the league. I think Vardy takes it based on that, Ndidi has been brilliant but we're not talking Kante 2015/16 brilliant and that's why Vardy gets it comfortably for me. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Weigh up what a bigger achievement is though, being golden boot winner or being the best defensive midfielder in the league. I think Vardy takes it based on that, Ndidi has been brilliant but we're not talking Kante 2015/16 brilliant and that's why Vardy gets it comfortably for me. 

This. 

Yes there is more to football than scoring but sticking the ball in the back of net is harder than just stopping other teams playing. There's a reason strikers and creative players are paid the big bucks.

Vardy scoring 23 goals is harder than what Ndidi or Evans have done this season. Creativity and scoring > spoiling and defending

10 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

I don’t mean anything snide by this but I’m guessing you haven’t watched many years of footy? 
Evans’s performances this season have been as good - generally - as we’ve seen from any CB to have played for the club since 1966. He’s not only been almost faultless but has covered for Ricardo & coached & supported Soyuncu through his debut season.

You’re perfectly entitled to think that Vardy’s contribution to the cause has been more significant, but if you can’t see that Evans has been one of our best three players this season then I fear you’re missing something. 

I’ve watched plenty don’t you worry. To have a consistent 20 goal a season striker, often feeding off scraps is something pretty special. Without Vardy, we could have been in big trouble in the last few seasons. 

Evans is a very good player, but strikers win you matches. I don’t think Evans has been almost faultless recently either. 

Edited by Viva

17 hours ago, Sampson said:

The wikipedia page lists the winners from 1987 onwards. Can't find anything before that. And I definitely think it's true what someone said earlier, Leicester fans have an obsession with defensive players, who've overwhelmingly won it.

I seem to remember Lineker losing out the season he won the Golden Boot to someone decent but pretty forgettable in the grand scheme of things like Paul Ramsey as well.

87-88 - Steve Walsh - defender

88-89 - Alan Paris - defender

89-90 - Gary Mills - defender

90-91 - Tony James - defender

91-92 - Gary Mills - defender

92-93 - Colin Hill - defender

93-94 - Simon Grayson - defender

94-95 - Kevin Poole - goalkeeper

95-96 - Garry Parker - midfielder

96-97 - Simon Grayson - defender

97-98 - Matt Elliott - defender

98-99 - Tony Cottee - forward

99-00 - Gerry Taggart - defender

00-01 - Robbie Savage - midfielder

01-02 - Robbie Savage - midfielder

02-03 - Paul Dickov - forward

03-04 - Les Ferdinand - forward

04-05 - Danny Tiatto - defender

05-06 - Joey Gudjonsson - midfielder

06-07 - Iain Hume - forward

07-08 - Richard Stearman - defender

08-09 - Steve Howard - forward

09-10 - Jack Hobbs- defender
10-11 - Richie Wellens - midfielder

11-12 - Kasper Schmeichel - goalkeeper

12-13 - Wes Morgan - defender

13-14 - Danny Drinkwater - midfielder

14-15 - Esteban Cambiasso - midfielder

15-16 - Riyad Mahrez - midfielder

16-17 - Kasper Schmeichel - goalkeeper

17-18 - Harry Maguire - defender

18-19 - Ricardo Perreira - defender

Totals:

Goalkeepers = 3

Defenders =16

Midfielder = 8

Forwards = 5

That's pretty ludicrous. That as many defenders have won it as every other position combined.

Even the forwards who won it were more "hard working" forwards who weren't prolific scorers like Dickov, Howard and Hume.

Cottee and Ferdinand are probably the only 2 pure goalscoring strikers to have won it.

I think it goes back to though that a game that passes a defender by because of the team or general flow of the game which is going to happen in at least half the games for most players in any typical season they're said to have had a "solid" game, whereas midfielders or forwards are judged to have poor or anonymous games by the same standards. It's way easier being consistent as a defender than a forward or midfield because you don't have to make anything happen, games you're a passenger in, you're judged to have put in a solid performance. A game the team completely dominates, defenders are often given good ratings even when they've never had to do anything all game for example.

And then people just judge it on who has had the least noticeably bad games throughout the season which defenders are always going to win, because it's way easier being consistent as a defender than a midfielder or forward and people don't measure them against other player's in their division, . As people only notice they're bad games if they've made errors which directly lead to goals and not just games they weren't involved much in like they do with midfielders or forwards. They also only really pass sideways when not being pressed so people don't notice them trying to make more intricate passes and missing them like midfielders or forwards have to and things like that.

The most amazing thing about that list is no player on it has scored 20 goals in a season.

When you think even the League one season where Fryatt was scoring for fun, we gave it to the big fella who puts himself about and scored 13?

The year Big Les won it was odd, he missed a lot of that season and possibly only won it because he didn’t play when we were really shite.

In conclusion our supporters are proper miserable and don’t like to be entertained. 

• Like 1

Looking at that list is incredible really. I almost disagree with every single one of them!!

How on earth can Muzzy Izzet not win it !? I mean I was a bit young before 2002 so wasn’t watching game in game out but Taggart 1999/2000? Over Elliot who won us a cup? Savage twice won it? Izzet and Lennon both never did, yet were 1000x more talented than Savage. It’s a head shaker really.

I’ll give my Opinion on the seasons I disagree with since the 02/03 season:

02/03 - Dickov is fair(Izzet would be like though). Think fans like the idea of new(same as Maguire over Vardy in 17/18) and Dickov was new and Izzet another guilty of being too good and reliable that people take it for granted!

04/05. I’d of gone David Connolly. The one true bit of quality in that team.

07/08 I’d of gone Gareth McAuley . Rock that season.

08/09 Fryatt 100%.
09/10 Either Waghorn or King.

10/11 King!

13/14 I’d if gone Lloyd Dyer personally.

17/18 Vardy 100%
Some others I’d argue differently too but these seasons are ridiculous choices imo .

Lloyd Dyer was great in the Championship winning season as well but Drinkwater deserved it. He dominated matches. Had way more passes than anyone else in the division from memory.

Agree that King should have won it over Wellens in 2010-11 too. Scored 15 goals from midfield and got a decent number of assists too. Wellens was ok that season but again, it felt like favouring the shouter in the middle of the park over the quiet lad who was scoring and creating.

Edited by Sampson

7 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Looking at that list is incredible really. I almost disagree with every single one of them!!

How on earth can Muzzy Izzet not win it !? I mean I was a bit young before 2002 so wasn’t watching game in game out but Taggart 1999/2000? Over Elliot who won us a cup? Savage twice won it? Izzet and Lennon both never did, yet were 1000x more talented than Savage. It’s a head shaker really.

I’ll give my Opinion on the seasons I disagree with since the 02/03 season:

02/03 - Dickov is fair(Izzet would be like though). Think fans like the idea of new(same as Maguire over Vardy in 17/18) and Dickov was new and Izzet another guilty of being too good and reliable that people take it for granted!

04/05. I’d of gone David Connolly. The one true bit of quality in that team.

07/08 I’d of gone Gareth McAuley . Rock that season.

08/09 Fryatt 100%.
09/10 Either Waghorn or King.

10/11 King!

13/14 I’d if gone Lloyd Dyer personally.

17/18 Vardy 100%
Some others I’d argue differently too but these seasons are ridiculous choices imo .

Good grief! The biggest fraud ever to play for us, and my god we've had a few. Still, this shows you can fool some of the people some of the time.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Corky said:

I didn't realise Howard won it over Fryatt in the League One season, fvcking hell, 30 goals and you still aren't the best player :nigel:

Our fans have some horrendous obsession with target men that drives me to despair. 

• Like 1