Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DerbyshireFox

End of Season Awards 19/20

11 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

Am genuinely amazed not to see a landslide in favour of Evans as POTS! Wins it by a mile for me, no one else even close.

Game’s all about opinions though...

Barnes YPOTS. 

Goal? No real stand out but Barnes at Sheff U might edge it...

I suppose you have to ask yourself has Evans single handidly won us more games than Vardy has? Vardy is on course for the golden Boot which is an astonishing achievement. He also went on another 8 game consecutive scoring spree, what this man does for us is breathtaking.

He also deserves it for never winning it previously due to our fans weird fascination with defence minded players. I swear this harks back to the Levein and Kelly years where we were hideous and only defenders ever looked decent due to the bombardment on our box.

This isn't to do a disservice to Jonny Evans as he has been imperious, a long with Ricardo and Ndidi but Vardy is our talisman and we don't feature in any positive record books without him these last few years.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

Am genuinely amazed not to see a landslide in favour of Evans as POTS! Wins it by a mile for me, no one else even close.

Barnes YPOTS. 

Errrrrrrm talk about taking players for granted. Vardy has got the golden boot and been unplayable in so many games and you're surprised that Evans hasn't won it by a landslide, you can't be serious...? 

It could be argued that Ricardo, Ndidi and Kasper could be considered on a par with Evans too. 

The one thing I'll say about Evans is that he's consistent though. Soyuncu went from looking like the best defender in the world first half season to one of the the worst second half. 

Edited by Collymore

The wikipedia page lists the winners from 1987 onwards. Can't find anything before that. And I definitely think it's true what someone said earlier, Leicester fans have an obsession with defensive players, who've overwhelmingly won it.

I seem to remember Lineker losing out the season he won the Golden Boot to someone decent but pretty forgettable in the grand scheme of things like Paul Ramsey as well.

87-88 - Steve Walsh - defender

88-89 - Alan Paris - defender

89-90 - Gary Mills - defender

90-91 - Tony James - defender

91-92 - Gary Mills - defender

92-93 - Colin Hill - defender

93-94 - Simon Grayson - defender

94-95 - Kevin Poole - goalkeeper

95-96 - Garry Parker - midfielder

96-97 - Simon Grayson - defender

97-98 - Matt Elliott - defender

98-99 - Tony Cottee - forward

99-00 - Gerry Taggart - defender

00-01 - Robbie Savage - midfielder

01-02 - Robbie Savage - midfielder

02-03 - Paul Dickov - forward

03-04 - Les Ferdinand - forward

04-05 - Danny Tiatto - defender

05-06 - Joey Gudjonsson - midfielder

06-07 - Iain Hume - forward

07-08 - Richard Stearman - defender

08-09 - Steve Howard - forward

09-10 - Jack Hobbs- defender
10-11 - Richie Wellens - midfielder

11-12 - Kasper Schmeichel - goalkeeper

12-13 - Wes Morgan - defender

13-14 - Danny Drinkwater - midfielder

14-15 - Esteban Cambiasso - midfielder

15-16 - Riyad Mahrez - midfielder

16-17 - Kasper Schmeichel - goalkeeper

17-18 - Harry Maguire - defender

18-19 - Ricardo Perreira - defender

Totals:

Goalkeepers = 3

Defenders =16

Midfielder = 8

Forwards = 5

That's pretty ludicrous. That as many defenders have won it as every other position combined.

Even the forwards who won it were more "hard working" forwards who weren't prolific scorers like Dickov, Howard and Hume.

Cottee and Ferdinand are probably the only 2 pure goalscoring strikers to have won it.

I think it goes back to though that a game that passes a defender by because of the team or general flow of the game which is going to happen in at least half the games for most players in any typical season they're said to have had a "solid" game, whereas midfielders or forwards are judged to have poor or anonymous games by the same standards. It's way easier being consistent as a defender than a forward or midfield because you don't have to make anything happen, games you're a passenger in, you're judged to have put in a solid performance. A game the team completely dominates, defenders are often given good ratings even when they've never had to do anything all game for example.

And then people just judge it on who has had the least noticeably bad games throughout the season which defenders are always going to win, because it's way easier being consistent as a defender than a midfielder or forward and people don't measure them against other player's in their division, . As people only notice they're bad games if they've made errors which directly lead to goals and not just games they weren't involved much in like they do with midfielders or forwards. They also only really pass sideways when not being pressed so people don't notice them trying to make more intricate passes and missing them like midfielders or forwards have to and things like that.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 3

Vardy player of the season but there are definitely a few contenders. Evans, Ricardo, Ndidi, Cags but we wouldn't be where we are now without Vardy. 

Hamza for goal. The technique to keep that ball under the cross bar was unreal especially for a DM. 

Barnes for young player. He has had a great season, good return with goals and assists and he is only getting better. If he masters the one on one's he will increase his goal score no end! 

13 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

Barnes YPOTS. 

I probably wouldn’t have Evans in the top 3. Vardy comfortably clear in 1st. 

Might be weird as Vardy’s probably going to win the premier league Golden Boot but I’ve gone for Ricardo

His loss had coincided with our dramatic loss of form and that’s not coincidence. He’s the best all round RB in the league and arguably top 3 in Europe. Before lockdown he was immense once again. 

I went for Vardy in the end for player of the season in the end, as consistent as Evans has been and the impact Soyuncu has had, it just felt like Vards should get it - he can’t go throughout his career here without winning it surely. Barnes is the only real choice for young player, 8 assists in his first full season, and had started adding goals up until the stoppage of the season. Goal of the season was tougher, but went for Vardys against Arsenal in the end, build up for that was exquisite, highlights us at our best as well. Can vote more than once anyway 🤣

6 hours ago, Sampson said:

The wikipedia page lists the winners from 1987 onwards. Can't find anything before that. And I definitely think it's true what someone said earlier, Leicester fans have an obsession with defensive players, who've overwhelmingly won it.

I seem to remember Lineker losing out the season he won the Golden Boot to someone decent but pretty forgettable in the grand scheme of things like Paul Ramsey as well.

Totals:

Goalkeepers = 3

Defenders =16

Midfielder = 8

Forwards = 5

That's pretty ludicrous. That as many defenders have won it as every other position combined.

Even the forwards who won it were more "hard working" forwards who weren't prolific scorers like Dickov, Howard and Hume.

Cottee and Ferdinand are probably the only 2 pure goalscoring strikers to have won it.

I think it goes back to though that a game that passes a defender by because of the team or general flow of the game which is going to happen in at least half the games for most players in any typical season they're said to have had a "solid" game, whereas midfielders or forwards are judged to have poor or anonymous games by the same standards. It's way easier being consistent as a defender than a forward or midfield because you don't have to make anything happen, games you're a passenger in, you're judged to have put in a solid performance. A game the team completely dominates, defenders are often given good ratings even when they've never had to do anything all game for example.

And then people just judge it on who has had the least noticeably bad games throughout the season which defenders are always going to win, because it's way easier being consistent as a defender than a midfielder or forward and people don't measure them against other player's in their division, . As people only notice they're bad games if they've made errors which directly lead to goals and not just games they weren't involved much in like they do with midfielders or forwards. They also only really pass sideways when not being pressed so people don't notice them trying to make more intricate passes and missing them like midfielders or forwards have to and things like that.

Wait, Muzzy never won it?! Despite getting whatever stupid number of assists the second time we went down. Madness.

Edited by dmayne7

As the numbers show - Leicester fans love defenders and cloggers like Savage and Hume lol

If Leicester fans had to decide the balon dor neither Messi or Ronaldo would have one. 

John Terry and Sergio Ramos would be sitting on 5 a piece.

Edited by Stevosevic
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

As the numbers show - Leicester fans love defenders and cloggers like Savage and Hume lol

If Leicester fans had to decide the balon dor neither Messi or Ronaldo would have one. 

John Terry and Sergio Ramos would be sitting on 5 a piece.

To be fair when Hume won it there really wasn't any alternative.

1 minute ago, Stevosevic said:

It really is baffling, Premier League top goalscorer, 23 league goals for us and people want to vote for a defender. 

We wouldn’t be anywhere near where we are without Vardy. The fact that he’s never won it before, if he doesn’t win it this season he’ll never win it. 

Our greatest player of all time and some of our fans don’t think he deserves a POTY award. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

Totals:

Goalkeepers = 3

Defenders =16

Midfielder = 8

Forwards = 5

I love how in the space of a couple of years that list goes from Jack Hobbs to Esteban Cambiasso lollol this club is mental and I love it 

• Haha 1

Just now, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I mean look at 08/09. Matty Fryatt bangs in the goals all season long, then Steve Howard heads a ball really hard against Leeds and takes the award. Strange, strange fans.

Yeah that was another one I remember. Fryatt scored over 30 goals that season, pretty sure he was the highest goalscorer in all 4 top divisions in England over about an 18 month period around then, but you'd still find some Leicester fans saying he was shit but worshipping Steve Howard because he was a hard-working hard man. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viva said:

I probably wouldn’t have Evans in the top 3. Vardy comfortably clear in 1st. 

I don’t mean anything snide by this but I’m guessing you haven’t watched many years of footy? 
Evans’s performances this season have been as good - generally - as we’ve seen from any CB to have played for the club since 1966. He’s not only been almost faultless but has covered for Ricardo & coached & supported Soyuncu through his debut season.

You’re perfectly entitled to think that Vardy’s contribution to the cause has been more significant, but if you can’t see that Evans has been one of our best three players this season then I fear you’re missing something. 

17 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I mean look at 08/09. Matty Fryatt bangs in the goals all season long, then Steve Howard heads a ball really hard against Leeds and takes the award. Strange, strange fans.

Yes, well, he was a 'proper' footballer, you know. Absolutely mind boggling, the deification of hard men.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I suppose you have to ask yourself has Evans single handidly won us more games than Vardy has? Vardy is on course for the golden Boot which is an astonishing achievement. He also went on another 8 game consecutive scoring spree, what this man does for us is breathtaking.

He also deserves it for never winning it previously due to our fans weird fascination with defence minded players. I swear this harks back to the Levein and Kelly years where we were hideous and only defenders ever looked decent due to the bombardment on our box.

This isn't to do a disservice to Jonny Evans as he has been imperious, a long with Ricardo and Ndidi but Vardy is our talisman and we don't feature in any positive record books without him these last few years.

Vardy and Izzet have been with us a combined 16 seasons, are probably the two most popular players in the past 20/25 years and neither have been player of the season.

Has their brilliance just been normalised and taken as a given? Izzet could easily have won it in 1999/00 (was sensational for part of that year) and although Dickov was an understandable winner in 2002/03, Izzet along with Merson ran that division. Vardy could've won it in 2013/14, 2015/16 and from 2017-now really.