Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

2020/21 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Realistically, who would Gyamfi replace in the first team? Luke Thomas is getting first team action, so it's not a reluctance to play younger players.

I bet when Gyamfi left I bet  he was hoping for better than Zargreb.

I’m fairly sure he’s a right back unless he can play both sides. So on the right he’s behind Ricardo and Justin and Castagne. Realistically he’s not going to get much first team football except for a few league cup matches maybe. I’m still not sure why he didn’t accept a loan unless he thinks he can do better than the championship or the Belgium league.

42 minutes ago, davieG said:

The better the 1st Team squad gets the harder it'll be for academy players to break through so I suspect more will leave than have done but they'd need to have massive belief in their ability.

This does seem to be the case. But are many 18 year olds going to sniff at loans at Championship clubs? The lad may simply be hugely ambitious.

53 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah and with Calvin Bassey doing fairly well at Rangers and the very real possibility of Tavares leaving in the summer, I think for the first time the academy might be questioned and rightly so.

I’m not a fan of “give the staff that coached our England internationals and made us about 100 million their P45s”, but if it does provoke some discussions then I’d be glad.

41 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

@Ric Flair Can correct me if I am wrong but I believe the issue that we have with him is that we are only willing to send him out on loan if he signs a new contract, but he will only sign a new one after we loan him out or start giving him first team experience?

Hmm. It’d be a bit weird to allow players to push the club around like that.

3 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I’m not a fan of “give the staff that coached our England internationals and made us about 100 million their P45s”, but if it does provoke some discussions then I’d be glad.

But what are they held to, goals wise? In any other job you have targets right? Surely Beaglehole didn't have a target as low as bringing through 5 or so prospects in 20 years? lol 

We've also hardly won anything at youth level, barely competed on some fronts.

Also not sure what the £100m figure is? Assume you mean Chilwell but who else?

3 minutes ago, AjcW said:

But what are they held to, goals wise? In any other job you have targets right? Surely Beaglehole didn't have a target as low as bringing through 5 or so prospects in 20 years? lol 

We've also hardly won anything at youth level, barely competed on some fronts.

Also not sure what the £100m figure is? Assume you mean Chilwell but who else?

Chil, Barnes, Thomas and Hamza are easily worth 100mil.

The academy coaches were previously criticised for trying to win things rather than develop players. People wanted Beaglehole’s head for trying to win the u23s.

The last time I checked, around Puel’s reign, our academy was about fifth in the Prem in terms of first team minutes given to academy footballers. It’s a good academy, better than most.

19 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Chil, Barnes, Thomas and Hamza are easily worth 100mil.

The academy coaches were previously criticised for trying to win things rather than develop players. People wanted Beaglehole’s head for trying to win the u23s.

The last time I checked, around Puel’s reign, our academy was about fifth in the Prem in terms of first team minutes given to academy footballers. It’s a good academy, better than most.

Sorry I assumed you meant money we’ve actually made 👍

Im not suggesting they’ve done no good. I’m just frustrated we’re not moving into our new training ground with “the best” in the league in terms of youth development. Our recruitment team is considered top draw in the league, why not be ambitious enough to aim for that at youth level? 

What we have is “fine” but that’s not what we should be aiming for.

I don’t want us to miss out on our period of dominance in the midlands. Every single local kid should be wanting to join the leicester academy Over Forest, Derby and even the Birmingham sides. 

Derby are producing some serious talent... problem is they’re having to throw them all into the first team at the same time lol 

Edited by AjcW
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Im not suggesting they’ve done no good. I’m just frustrated we’re not moving into our new training ground with “the best” in the league in terms of youth development. Our recruitment team is considered top draw in the league, why not be ambitious enough to aim for that at youth level? 

I don’t want us to miss out on our period of dominance in the midlands. Every single local kid should be wanting to join the leicester academy Over Forest, Derby and even the Birmingham sides. 

Derby are producing some serious talent... problem is they’re having to throw them all into the first team at the same time lol 

😂😂 they can’t be that talented have you seen Derby’s position 

Just now, baldeagle said:

😂😂 they can’t be that talented have you seen Derby’s position 

That was my caveat of saying they've all been thrown in at once and too early lol doesn't mean they're not decent!

• Haha 1

I'm not just picking on the youth team managers to be fair....

Fact is, we don't have a 'Head of Youth' which seems baffling to me (believe Rudkin still sort of does this role).

Hopefully something we are planning on introducing with the new training ground. 

1 minute ago, baldeagle said:

Decent at what though 😂

Max Bird and Jason Knight will be in the prem in no time... just because the team around them is shite doesn't mean they don't have individual talent.

My point really was that those sort of players should have been choosing is over the last few years.

24 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Yeah I know what you mean but it seems disrespectful to the current academy—who’ve got it to its best ever level and created a huge amount of wealth—to get rid of them because we’ve got a shiny new centre. I’d prefer an evolution rather than a revolution.

I reckon with our reputation and success with academy graduates most kids are dreaming about lcfc. What are young kids in Oadby dreaming about now—emulating Thomas and Barnes in a world class academy—or slogging it out at the bottom half of the championship with Derby?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

Yeah I know what you mean but it seems disrespectful to the current academy—who’ve got it to its best ever level and created a huge amount of wealth—to get rid of them because we’ve got a shiny new centre. I’d prefer an evolution rather than a revolution.

I reckon with our reputation and success with academy graduates most kids are dreaming about lcfc. What are young kids in Oadby dreaming about now—emulating Thomas and Barnes in a world class academy—or slogging it out at the bottom half of the championship with Derby?

Do you not find it odd that the majority of the coaches have remained the same from when we were in League One and The Championship? Any highly regarded coaches that did arrive, left within a year. Fishy.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Do you not find it odd that the majority of the coaches have remained the same from when we were in League One and The Championship? Any highly regarded coaches that did arrive, left within a year. Fishy.

Who left? One of them left to join Pearson at Derby and is now at Luton. There was that guy who came and left but that's it, isn't it?

3 hours ago, Webbo said:

Realistically, who would Gyamfi replace in the first team? Luke Thomas is getting first team action, so it's not a reluctance to play younger players.

I bet when Gyamfi left I bet  he was hoping for better than Zargreb.

Mergh, it's a weird one - I think Jadon Sancho has been a genuine flag bearer for this current generation of English taught talent in terms of moving abroad to improve as a footballer (I know Gyamfi is Dutch). Gyamfi might have had more lucrative offers on the table but he'll be playing in continental competition every season at a not unreasonable standard and his stock is likely to rise because he'll play, too. Plenty have left Dinamo after impressing, more recently you'd be looking at Benkovic, Pjaca, Olmo – Gvardiol is joining Leipzig next season for a fair chunk. There's a precedent there for minutes and a decent move if you impress, it's not a shite move for a young player.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Who left? One of them left to join Pearson at Derby and is now at Luton. There was that guy who came and left but that's it, isn't it?

Idiakez left to join Pearson after some friction and then we head hunted Dmitri Halajko from Norwich to oversee the whole academy and he jumped to go to West Ham within a year. Just don't think new ideas are welcome down there, its still Rudkin's gig with his yes men.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 00:26, Ric Flair said:

Idiakez left to join Pearson after some friction and then we head hunted Dmitri Halajko from Norwich to oversee the whole academy and he jumped to go to West Ham within a year. Just don't think new ideas are welcome down there, its still Rudkin's gig with his yes men.

Idiakez also left Derby after Pearson left there. It looks like he wanted to follow Pearson more than leave lcfc, else I suspect he would have stayed at Derby. I don’t think anyone knows about Halajko’s reasons. It could be he butted heads or it could be his wife didn’t fall in love with the city. So far I’d say there’s one dodgy leaving. Not quite a pattern tbh.