Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

2020/21 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

14 minutes ago, AjcW said:

To be fair he's not like one of the ones the owners have just brought over from a thai academy. He was playing in France, so had already been spotted by a European team for his talents.

But a second division French side let him go?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Was he definitely let go? Or did he reject a contract?

He’s probably one of very few Thai players in Europe, so wouldn’t surprise me if we tapped him up before hand and he rejected a contract?

(Unless stated elsewhere, didn’t pay much attention to the transfer at the time)

I  think I remember the French manager saying he wasn't going to be offered a contract.

11 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Thanks. Quite interesting when he’s looked pretty decent and not just got a free pass because of his nationality into the u23s.

Surprised that he was deemed not good enough for French 2nd division at his age as I imagine some of the teams would be similar to those in the Papa John’s Cup in terms of quality. 

French 2nd division is not much worse than the Championship... Definitely stronger than League 1.

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

Chitty chitty bang bang? It sounds... lewd.

He should have the lettering expand over his shoulders and arms - it would look well smart.

Chitty get banged - not so lewd. 

4 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Are you allowed a squad number of 0?

I’m not familiar with the rulebook regarding player numbering, however if you piled up fifteen cubes, each side measuring 11.3 centimeters and emblazoned with a letter from Suengchitthawon’s surname, it would equal him in height, and provide an excellent piece of merchandising for the Thai market, and I am in no way bored at home.

• Haha 1

Gyamfi, if this if the defender, looked good when I briefly saw him. He seemed to have taken the risky approach of leaving the academy and going it alone. It’s definitely ballsy. Since we’ve been getting players decent loans in England and Belgium I’m not sure what he’s gained from his hiatus and eventual landing in Croatia, except possibly more first team football. It’ll be a hit for the academy if he succeeds. I hope he’s successful (I suspect a few in this thread feel the same!) and explains why he left an academy with a good reputation of developing Premier League and England internationals.

32 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Gyamfi, if this if the defender, looked good when I briefly saw him. He seemed to have taken the risky approach of leaving the academy and going it alone. It’s definitely ballsy. Since we’ve been getting players decent loans in England and Belgium I’m not sure what he’s gained from his hiatus and eventual landing in Croatia, except possibly more first team football. It’ll be a hit for the academy if he succeeds. I hope he’s successful (I suspect a few in this thread feel the same!) and explains why he left an academy with a good reputation of developing Premier League and England internationals.

Yeah and with Calvin Bassey doing fairly well at Rangers and the very real possibility of Tavares leaving in the summer, I think for the first time the academy might be questioned and rightly so.

The better the 1st Team squad gets the harder it'll be for academy players to break through so I suspect more will leave than have done but they'd need to have massive belief in their ability.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if when he left us he was looking to do what Ngakia did when he left West Ham

They were quite shocked when he left as well as he wanted to find a club which would give him a shot at first team football and has done quite well so far at Watford

Then I think Gyamfi probably got unlucky with a lot of clubs not really having the extra money to spend and take a risk on an 18 year old wanting first team football

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah and with Calvin Bassey doing fairly well at Rangers and the very real possibility of Tavares leaving in the summer, I think for the first time the academy might be questioned and rightly so.

The thing is though, there's not many other managers i'd trust more than Brendan when it comes to judging talent coming through an academy. It's literally how he cut his cloth and ended up in management. 

If these players don't break through, I trust his and the staffs judgement, sure a few will slip through the net, but if BR is saying they're not good enough and they need to either move on or be more patient... then i'll take his word for it.

*edit: I do completely understand you getting excited about someone like Tavares though, I really enjoyed watching him in the short pre season this year. But that's all i've seen... reserve games and pre season games at a university. Be nice to see him go out on loan in Jan to get a real idea of where he is at. Because unlike Thomas the position he is fighting for isn't up for grabs currently.

Edited by AjcW
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, AjcW said:

edit: I do completely understand you getting excited about someone like Tavares though, I really enjoyed watching him in the short pre season this year. But that's all i've seen... reserve games and pre season games at a university. Be nice to see him go out on loan in Jan to get a real idea of where he is at. Because unlike Thomas the position he is fighting for isn't up for grabs currently.

@Ric Flair Can correct me if I am wrong but I believe the issue that we have with him is that we are only willing to send him out on loan if he signs a new contract, but he will only sign a new one after we loan him out or start giving him first team experience?

5 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

@Ric Flair Can correct me if I am wrong but I believe the issue that we have with him is that we are only willing to send him out on loan if he signs a new contract, but he will only sign a new one after we loan him out or start giving him first team experience?

Sort of my point, so many of these young lads have massive tickets on themselves now (not helped by signing with big agents early on)...

You're 19, sign the contract, go out on loan and smash it like Harvey, look where you could be in two years.... 

That's what I find more baffling, even when there's clear examples of how we do things and the success we have that way (Chilly and Barnes) there's still a lack of trust from these young players.

Not to mention the fact they're about to move into THOSE facilities. 

Realistically, who would Gyamfi replace in the first team? Luke Thomas is getting first team action, so it's not a reluctance to play younger players.

I bet when Gyamfi left I bet  he was hoping for better than Zargreb.

24 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

This is apparently the case, I don't 100% know. What we do know though is Rodgers went on record in the summer saying he is a superb talent and they will try and expose him to the necessary training / process to get him ready for the first team. So far he has played a few U23 games and then gone AWOL again, named in the EL squad  prior to the game vs Zoryha and didn't travel.  Really bizarre.

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

This is apparently the case, I don't 100% know. What we do know though is Rodgers went on record in the summer saying he is a superb talent and they will try and expose him to the necessary training / process to get him ready for the first team. So far he has played a few U23 games and then gone AWOL again, named in the EL squad  prior to the game vs Zoryha and didn't travel.  Really bizarre.

Agreed I definitely find the lack of games and that withdrawal odd.

To be fair it could be as simple as him having to isolate or even having personal issues... you never know, especially not in the current climate!

• Like 1

Just now, AjcW said:

Agreed I definitely find the lack of games and that withdrawal odd.

To be fair it could be as simple as him having to isolate or even having personal issues... you never know, especially not in the current climate!

Yeah its probably that, adds up why he hasn't featured for the U23's or in the U21 Papa Johns games recently either. But then again, there's no real logical selection process from the U18 and U23 coaches this season. 

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Yeah its probably that, adds up why he hasn't featured for the U23's or in the U21 Papa Johns games recently either. But then again, there's no real logical selection process from the U18 and U23 coaches this season. 

I'm with you on that, I still can't believe the beagle is still there lol 

• Like 1