Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

2020/21 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Ben Nelson aged 16, training a lot with the first team is very positive news. Been playing a lot for the U23's this season and has got to be the first player in years at that age to be doing so, we are notoriously slow to progress players in to the U23's. Could well see him involved in the next 18 months.

Ben is very highly rated and I would not be surprised to see him involved before the end of the season. 

At 6ft 3 hopefully he will grow a little more still and make a strapping CB.

I agree @Ric Flair the vibes are very good about him. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Ben Nelson aged 16, training a lot with the first team is very positive news. Been playing a lot for the U23's this season and has got to be the first player in years at that age to be doing so, we are notoriously slow to progress players in to the U23's. Could well see him involved in the next 18 months.

...did I not see Pennant the younger in the U23s this season!!!

10 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...did I not see Pennant the younger in the U23s this season!!!

Kian Pennant has been promoted full time to the U18's this season after being mainly U16's last year but did then play a few for the U18's and was very good. Think he may have made the bench for the U23's once this season? His brother aged 18, who was the best player in our U18's last season has sadly not yet been given many chances for the U23's. Wingers don't tend to do much for our U23's, if he could make an impact he wouldn't have much competition for places.

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Isn’t he the youngest player to feature in the u23s for a while? That’s progress at least. It’s sad we’re getting hammered in the u23s but I guess it’s experience.

Do we have any players in the England u16, u17s? I can’t see from my quick searches. Barnes and Thomas and Hamza all got in the England youth squads, albeit at different stages.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Isn’t he the youngest player to feature in the u23s for a while? That’s progress at least. It’s sad we’re getting hammered in the u23s but I guess it’s experience.

Do we have any players in the England u16, u17s? I can’t see from my quick searches. Barnes and Thomas and Hamza all got in the England youth squads, albeit at different stages.

U23's aren't doing too bad, it's the U18's that are taking a hiding which is surprising because they were mustard last year and still have a core of that side. Not sure on how many England youth players we have, I'd be astonished if Will Alves isn't in there. Kian Pennant plays for the U17's aged 15.

22 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Here is a list of our younger(some not so young anymore) That are involved with our u18s and u23s with there international recognition that they have had. 

Chituru Odense USA U20s

Ben Nelson Scotland U16s

Oliver Ewing Wales u16s

Zach Booth USA U17s

Kian Pennant England u16s

Terell  Pennant England u16s

Russ Wales u19s

Oliver Bosworth England u18s

Jakub Stolarczyk  Poland u19s

Mitch Clark Wales u19s

Vontae  Daley-Campbell England u19s

Thakgalo Leshabela South Africa u23s

Sidnei Tavares Portugal u19s

Calum Wright England u18s

Thanawat Suengchitthawon France u17s

Leyton Ndukwu England u17s

Ali Reghba Ireland u19s

Tyreese Shade St Kirs u20s

Admiral Muskwi Zimbabwe (full international)

Cheers! Yeah some failed to continue in the England squads (I'm thinking Ndukwu). I didn't realise Calum was in the squad. The Pennants look the best prospect. Good to see Ben Nelson there.

3 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Ben is very highly rated and I would not be surprised to see him involved before the end of the season. 

At 6ft 3 hopefully he will grow a little more still and make a strapping CB.

I agree @Ric Flair the vibes are very good about him. 

Do you know much about Sammy Braybrooke, Fin? U18s defensive midfielder, quite highly rated I think?

3 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

If I had to pick a few out of the ones that have impressed me the most id go for these. Only my opinion but I think some have real potential.  

Arlo Doherty -Keeper

Ben Nelson -CB

Zach Booth- Midfield 

Kian Pennant- Attacker 

Brandon Cover - Midfield 

Love this kind of insight, cheers Fin. What is Ben Nelson like as a player? Decent with the ball?

I love that we have a midfielder called Cover too 😂

58 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

If I had to pick a few out of the ones that have impressed me the most id go for these. Only my opinion but I think some have real potential.  

Arlo Doherty -Keeper

Ben Nelson -CB

Zach Booth- Midfield 

Kian Pennant- Attacker 

Brandon Cover - Midfield 

Is Will Alves an option too; Logan Briggs is supposed to be good too. 

53 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Arlo Doherty -Keeper

Ben Nelson -CB

Zach Booth- Midfield 

Kian Pennant- Attacker 

Brandon Cover - Midfield 

The Portuguese brothers highly rated too aren't they? Ones in the U16's and the other in the U18's? 

I'm also intrigued by Will Alves, ever since he appeared on that TV clip last year I've tried to keep an eye out for him and the snippets of his games that he posts on Instagram show the most outrageously greedy play I think I've ever seen, but he is ridiculously skillful. If the club can harness that in to a proper team player I assume he is destined to make it?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Here is a list of our younger(some not so young anymore) That are involved with our u18s and u23s with there international recognition that they have had. 

Chituru Odense USA U20s

Ben Nelson Scotland U16s

I believe Nelson is also eligible for England so will be interesting to see if he gets picked up by them

5 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Tall and very slender but only 16 so time to fill out yet! Can't see him returning to the U18s anytime soon firmly involved with the u23s now and would not be in the least bit surprised to see him involved with the first team very soon.

Hes Very cool and composed on the ball. The U18s are greatly encouraged to play the ball around and keep possession and while still at a young age mistakes will and have been made especially trying to play the ball from the back.

But its all part if the learning curve i suppose. Better to learn those mistakes now and a visible improvement in the teams possession based passing skills is now coming to the fore. 

I think its far to easy for people to forget that these are kids still learning the game and developing as footballers and individuals and the emphasis on results is really not as important as people think at this age.

They have had a few tankings yes... but they will be much better footballers for it come the end of the season.

Back to Nelson he is deceptively quick off the mark for a tall lad and seems to be one of these that has slightly more time on the ball than the others. Never panics and while I don't see him as a Midfield playmaker banging 50 yard pin point passes around I think he could easily slot into the middle of the park to do the simple stuff , break tings down and lay off a simple pass. Hardly ever gives the ball away as he's so calm on it. Hope that helps. Again just my opinion. 

This is perfect Fin, exactly what I was after! Thanks for taking the time - got a much better idea of him now 👏

Not a current academy player but Jasper Moon who didn't get offered a scholarship (u18) a few years back made his debut for the Barnsley first team in the week at Rotherham. He's been with Barnsley since 16/17 season, hopefully see him get a few more opportunities.

• Like 4

Apparently signed a 17 year old Nigerian goalkeeper who was previously at Chelsea

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=38517

Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that Leicester City are on the brink of announcing the signing of promising Nigerian goalkeeper Kelechi Chibueze, who last played for Chelsea youth teams.

The former England U16 international has ended speculation over his future by signing a contract with the Foxes following a successful trial.

Chibueze has put pen to paper on his first professional contract with Leicester City.

The 2003-born glovesman impressed his teammates and coaching staff alike while on trial with the King Power Stadium outfit, and was in between the pipes when they lost to West Brom in the U18 Premier League back in November.

He will compete with another Nigeria-eligible goalkeeper with a previous connection to Chelsea, Chituru Odunze for a starting shirt at Leicester City U18s.

Leicester City have pulled off a transfer coup by signing Chibueze as he was courted by French club OGC Nice after ending his ten-year association with Chelsea in October 2020.

Just looked at this thread properly for the first time and I have to say it is a fantasticating read-  the passion the main posters in this thread along with @moore_94 from the loan thread have for the club's overall well-being beyond their first team squad and posts they make on here to keep others informed is inspiring and somewhat underappreciated.    Looking forward to following this thread and loan thread more closely from now on!   

Thanks guys for keeping rest of us informed!

Edited by The Blur
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 07/01/2021 at 10:52, The Blur said:

Just looked at this thread properly for the first time and I have to say it is a fantasticating read-  the passion the main posters in this thread along with @moore_94 from the loan thread have for the club's overall well-being beyond their first team squad and posts they make on here to keep others informed is inspiring and somewhat underappreciated.   

What a great new word....a cross between Fantastic and Fascinating!!  I will definitely be using this word more in conversation....it is amazingulous! :D

• Haha 4

This Villa Liverpool game should serve as an education for anyone not placing faith in our management team to know best when it comes to people being ready for the first team.

Even the villa lads who were brilliant for 60 mins are absolutely on their arse now. 90 minutes at U23 level is eventually 60 at elite level. 

That why the best of the best go out on loans to develop that professional match sharpness. Problem is some aren’t even ready for that (build, strength, stamina etc) so they get stuck for a few extra years. 

Trust the process. We’ll get one or two gems come through every couple of years.