Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

2020/21 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

...it is amazing how Demarai adapts his game to suit who he playing against!!!

His body language and game engagement is exactly how he always plays and he drifted out of the game as normal. Ten minutes to go and he comes to take a corner and I realised he was still on the pitch, he just has no idea.

Layton Ndukwu just refuses to get involved in games.

He does not want to get hurt, pulls out of tackles, and is a complete passenger on the pitch. He should not be on a football pitch he really does not have any feeling or love for the game, he really needs to stop this charade.

As usual the team was poor technically, playing with a three at the back seems to invite a mindset of defense and Chelsea playing one touch played in the lines with no pressure. Switching to a back four and pushing on raise our tempo and we got tighter stopping them from walking through us at will.

• Like 1

Honestly it is quite disappointing there is very little reporting about our u18 side, only reason I knew they were playing is because I got a notification from FotMob

Currently 1-0 down to Arsenal U18s

Line up is apparently (4-1-4-1)

Odunze

Obi, Hempstead, Braybroke, Wormleighton

Munroe

Marcal-Madivadua, Ewing, Fitzhugh, K Pennant

Russ

Bench: Doherty (GK), T Pennant, Cover, Yseko, Maswanhise

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Final score u18s lost 2-1 to Arsenal u18s

Our goal was an own goal

T Pennant and Maswanhise came off the bench

Table does not make for good viewing

2880c9d4e5b1c7574b0b668779ef1896.png

A lot depends on the age of the players.

• Like 1

Just now, davieG said:

A lot depends on the age of the players.

Todays squad:

Odunze - 18

Obi - 18

Hempstead - 16

Braybroke - 16

Wormleighton - 16

Munroe - 16

Marcal-Madivadua - 18

Ewing - 17

Fitzhugh - 18

K Pennant - 16

Russ - 18

Doherty - 17

T Pennant - 18

Cover - 16

Yseko - 17

Maswanhise - 18

Both sides had the same average age of 17, we fielded 3 more 16 year olds but they are in the same age groups where they have just turned or will soon turn 17

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Todays squad:

Odunze - 18

Obi - 18

Hempstead - 16

Braybroke - 16

Wormleighton - 16

Munroe - 16

Marcal-Madivadua - 18

Ewing - 17

Fitzhugh - 18

K Pennant - 16

Russ - 18

Doherty - 17

T Pennant - 18

Cover - 16

Yseko - 17

Maswanhise - 18

Both sides had the same average age of 17, we fielded 3 more 16 year olds but they are in the same age groups where they have just turned or will soon turn 17

So can't blame it on age then. But teams like Chelseas have a head start on picking up the best youngsters.

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

So can't blame it on age then. But teams like Chelseas have a head start on picking up the best youngsters.

From looking at the u18 squad last year it seems like at least the following players are now in the u23s

Jakub Stolarczyk

Ben Nelson

Harvey Godsmark-Ford

Dennis Gyamfi

Kasey McAteer

Sidnei Tavares

Shane Flynn

Dempsey Arlott-John

With some of them now being in and around the first team also it shows they must be quite talented, just seems like we may have pulled a large amount of the talent out of the u18s so now it is suffering

• Like 1

It is a complete disgrace that Terell Pennant has gone from being the stand out U18 player last season to being promoted to the U23's and never picked to now being on the bench for the U18's. It's pathetic mis-management of quite clearly a very talented player for that level. 

Surprised they've not somehow shoehorned Tavares back in there even though he's now 19.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Villa, Derby and West Brom all potentially have better ran academies than ours. Simply no excuse for ours not being better, we were the standout and still are (just) Midlands team for the last 6 years and we've not improved, we've gone backwards if anything. It's my biggest bugbear of the club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Villa, Derby and West Brom all potentially have better ran academies than ours. Simply no excuse for ours not being better, we were the standout and still are (just) Midlands team for the last 6 years and we've not improved, we've gone backwards if anything. It's my biggest bugbear of the club.

You would hope with a state of the art training centre about to be opened, the current u23 set-up and all levels below would be subject to a thorough review. 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Your passion does you credit and it’s hard to argue against this however we do have a very good record of turning out home grown talent . I recall recently seeing someone post a full side of players in the prem or on loan in the championship all home grown . I imagine that’s a good result for a club of our size and standing and I’m guessing management are all on board with it . It’s never satisfactory seeing good obviously talented players fail to  push on but I think that is the nature of football development 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

You would hope with a state of the art training centre about to be opened, the current u23 set-up and all levels below would be subject to a thorough review. 

I'd have liked this to have happened already, these changes to transfer rules makes it seemingly very difficult to recruit under the age of 18-21 in the short term. Lots of teams made a real push last summer to get the best they could from overseas in the 16-18 age group, we got a lad who couldn't get in the U23 team for a Ligue 2 side and a talented American under 18, I'd have expected more from us. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

What do you mean by better ran?

Have these academies pumped out more Premier League players then us recently? Genuine question. I don't follow other academies and cba to check.

10 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

What do you mean by better ran?

Have these academies pumped out more Premier League players then us recently? Genuine question. I don't follow other academies and cba to check.

I think that's what our club hides behind, we have brought through a few first team players and that means our academy is brilliantly run when it absolutely isn't.

Bit of narrative about Villa's recent changes which incidentally was to poach West Brom's model, coaches and some of their academy starlets...

One of the core objectives was to make the club sustainable, and that begins with working alongside young talent in the hope to provide top-quality footballers for the first team. This was started with the appointment of Jesus Garcia Pitarch, better known as ‘Suso’, in the Sporting Director Role. Whilst his time at the club came to an end last month, there was some fruitful progression within the Academy whilst he was in post.

The Academy moved into a brand-new building at Bodymoor Heath, and now have a purpose built stadium at the training ground where the development sides now play their home games.

The club also moved to appoint Mark Harrison as the new Head of Academy, alongside other recruits such as Mark Naylor, Ryan Maye and Mike Scott from near neighbours West Bromwich Albion. The recruitment pursuit of coaches from West Bromwich Albion makes sense for the club, due to their successful development of players such as Chris Wood, Saido Berahino, Izzy Brown, Nathan Ferguson and Louie Barry, the latter of whom making the move to Aston Villa via a brief stint at Barcelona.

Aston Villa have since been scouring the United Kingdom and Europe for the most talented youngsters that they can recruit, and have recently secured the signatures of highly rated youngsters Sil Swinkels, from Vitesse Arnhem, and Ben Chrisene from Exeter City – beating the likes of Bayern Munich, Liverpool and Chelsea to Chrisene’s signature.

Moves like this are what the club had missed out on for many years, and thus contributed to Aston Villa’s decline in their academy over the last few years. They have also moved to keep huge talents that are already at the club, such as Carney Chukwuemeka and Jaden Philogene-Bidace, with new contracts.

With the likes of Harrison working alongside Villa’s new Sporting Director, Johan Lange, and with support from Chief Executive Christian Purslow and the owners, there is now once again real hope that Aston Villa can again become a force at Academy level and in the long-run provide top quality players who can thrive at the top level for Aston Villa’s first team, following in the footsteps of Jack Grealish.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think that's what our club hides behind, we have brought through a few first team players and that means our academy is brilliantly run when it absolutely isn't.

Bit of narrative about Villa's recent changes which incidentally was to poach West Brom's model, coaches and some of their academy starlets...

One of the core objectives was to make the club sustainable, and that begins with working alongside young talent in the hope to provide top-quality footballers for the first team. This was started with the appointment of Jesus Garcia Pitarch, better known as ‘Suso’, in the Sporting Director Role. Whilst his time at the club came to an end last month, there was some fruitful progression within the Academy whilst he was in post.

The Academy moved into a brand-new building at Bodymoor Heath, and now have a purpose built stadium at the training ground where the development sides now play their home games.

The club also moved to appoint Mark Harrison as the new Head of Academy, alongside other recruits such as Mark Naylor, Ryan Maye and Mike Scott from near neighbours West Bromwich Albion. The recruitment pursuit of coaches from West Bromwich Albion makes sense for the club, due to their successful development of players such as Chris Wood, Saido Berahino, Izzy Brown, Nathan Ferguson and Louie Barry, the latter of whom making the move to Aston Villa via a brief stint at Barcelona.

Aston Villa have since been scouring the United Kingdom and Europe for the most talented youngsters that they can recruit, and have recently secured the signatures of highly rated youngsters Sil Swinkels, from Vitesse Arnhem, and Ben Chrisene from Exeter City – beating the likes of Bayern Munich, Liverpool and Chelsea to Chrisene’s signature.

Moves like this are what the club had missed out on for many years, and thus contributed to Aston Villa’s decline in their academy over the last few years. They have also moved to keep huge talents that are already at the club, such as Carney Chukwuemeka and Jaden Philogene-Bidace, with new contracts.

With the likes of Harrison working alongside Villa’s new Sporting Director, Johan Lange, and with support from Chief Executive Christian Purslow and the owners, there is now once again real hope that Aston Villa can again become a force at Academy level and in the long-run provide top quality players who can thrive at the top level for Aston Villa’s first team, following in the footsteps of Jack Grealish.

The purpose of an academy is to bring through top quality first teamers. And we've done that. In abundance. And the staff started the hard work more than a decade ago.

I'm not sure the academy can be accused of hiding behind successful graduates. Isn't that the academy's entire purpose? It's like saying Spurs are hiding behind successful match results.

Your beef, along with a few others, from what I can tell, is that the staff aren't up to scratch. But it's those staff who've successfully guided all our graduates.

The only reasonable argument is that coach, who left because he wanted to follow Pearson, was the real mastermind behind everything and everyone else isn't that great, and I find that hard to believe. I'm sure he was good, but I suspect the academy has other good coaches and staff.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

The purpose of an academy is to bring through top quality first teamers. And we've done that. In abundance. And the staff started the hard work more than a decade ago.

I'm not sure the academy can be accused of hiding behind successful graduates. Isn't that the academy's entire purpose? It's like saying Spurs are hiding behind successful match results.

Your beef, along with a few others, from what I can tell, is that the staff aren't up to scratch. But it's those staff who've successfully guided all our graduates.

The only reasonable argument is that coach, who left because he wanted to follow Pearson, was the real mastermind behind everything and everyone else isn't that great, and I find that hard to believe. I'm sure he was good, but I suspect the academy has other good coaches and staff.

Keep burying your head in the sand. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I consider the real issue here is, that following Brexit, the development of home grown players takes on a whole new dimension, so perhaps there does need to be a review of where we are and where we should be aiming to be.  Looking back and patting everyone on the back is fine, but not looking forward is a flawed approach. The World is forever changing and football is not excluded.

• Like 1