Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

James Tarkowski

9 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

To be fair Terry Robinson was DoF when that happened....and he actually had a medical with us only to never be signed.

Yes, so he as. Good shout. 

What a strange fackin appointment he was. Talk about incongruous. Some lower league old.school gravy-on-chips northern chairman gets a top gig with the richest team in the EFL

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

Evans is out of contract in the summer and is 32. I'm still not entirely sure how much the manger rates Soyuncu, he seemed to spend a lot of time playing extra DM's to protect the defence.

Struggling with this take, obvious that it was the case initially they weren't sure about soyuncu but I dont think anyone at thr club doubts his class now not least the manager.

Other than brighton when did we play extra dms?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just get him in by hook or by crook. He is what we need in that department. An experienced head but still young enough to give us the legs and energy required plus plenty of ability. Presume Slimani, Ghezzal and Silva off the books plus whatever is left from Chilwell sale will pay for this. Probably it for us then this window by all accounts. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If we pay £40m for him, we must be one of the first teams in the history of the game to pay that much for a 28 year old defender from a dog muck club. Is there any end to our record breaking?

A 27 year old but either way if we pay that we must be mad....  This doesn`t even excite me one bit !

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If we pay £40m for him, we must be one of the first teams in the history of the game to pay that much for a 28 year old defender from a dog muck club. Is there any end to our record breaking?

In fairness mate he is only 4 months older than a certain Jacob M Maguire and someone paid £80 million for him

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, katieakita said:

In fairness mate he is only 4 months older than a certain Jacob M Maguire and someone paid £80 million for him

And that is without doubt the most astonishing transfer thats ever been, we got an extra £5m for him too so its £85m. That doesn't mean we should wipe our whole remaining budget on Tarkowki though, even though I do like him. With less than 2 years on his deal and soon to be 28 its a bad economic deal, especially when some of us have argued all summer on here about the impact of the pandemic on our finances. 

• Like 1

£30m is absolutely horrendous business in this market. Burnley have had our pants down if we pay that.

Realistically he’s not a starter unless we play with a back 3. Evans isn’t exactly looking like he’s verging on retirement so unless we’re planning to lose Soyuncu in the near future or we’re planning a permanent switch to a back 3 he’s a squad player for at least the next year.

Obviously we need squad players - he’s a perfectly decent PL centre back and much better player than Bennett for example - but the point is we need squad players plural. We’re short in so many areas and we’re talking about spending £30m at a time when we know money is tight on a player who doesn’t obviously improve our first XI.

29 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Spent a lot of time playing extra DM's? Who Rodgers? Thst happened only twice last season did it not? 

3-4-3 doesn't really have a place for Maddison though but you could be right. I just can't see us spending £40m on one centre half let alone us getting both Fofana and Tarkowski like some think is possible, that would be £70m. Absolutely no chance.

Three of the first 5 games alone. Then times he put in Praet and shoved Maddison wide, then times he went 5 at the back.

I can’t back it up, but I just didn’t feel like there was a huge amount of trust in the defence quite often. It’s why I’ve said I found Rodgers negative, he seemed worried about things rather than picking a team for what we are good at.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Spent a lot of time playing extra DM's? Who Rodgers? Thst happened only twice last season did it not? 

3-4-3 doesn't really have a place for Maddison though but you could be right. I just can't see us spending £40m on one centre half let alone us getting both Fofana and Tarkowski like some think is possible, that would be £70m. Absolutely no chance.

Kasper 

Tark Evans Soy

Ricardo Tielemans Praet/Mendy Timmy

Maddison Under 

Vardy 

Also we have to consider that Rodgers has said things are tight and we’re blowing it all on a CB to sit on the bench? 

Just now, Bert said:

Kasper 

Tark Evans Soy

Ricardo Tielemans Praet/Mendy Timmy

Maddison Under 

Vardy 

Also we have to consider that Rodgers has said things are tight and we’re blowing it all on a CB to sit on the bench? 

No Barnes?????

41 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

To be fair Terry Robinson was DoF when that happened....and he actually had a medical with us only to never be signed.

Don’t talk about people having medicals and then not signing on here :ph34r: 

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Three of the first 5 games alone. Then times he put in Praet and shoved Maddison wide, then times he went 5 at the back.

I can’t back it up, but I just didn’t feel like there was a huge amount of trust in the defence quite often. It’s why I’ve said I found Rodgers negative, he seemed worried about things rather than picking a team for what we are good at.

You could argue with Barnes unproven and Soyuncu not playing much at that he opted for another midfielder in those opening games, they weren't necessarily DCM's in there anyway. Praet is hardly a defensive midfielder. 

Soyuncu quickly surprised a lot of people and was probably at his best in those opening dozen games. Once we went 4-1-4-1 there was no issues whatsoever until Xmas and that wasn't Soyuncu's fault. 

I think you are reading too much in to it, I hope you are anyway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The economics of the deal can’t just be measured in potential future sale. If this geezer solidifies the squad and helps us achieve top 8 finishes for the next 4 years, not a single person at the club will give two hoots about re-sale value.

It also adds a backbone to the squad that’s going to hang around and not one we have to worry about losing and replacing in two years.

We need a centre back. The lack of one could cost us a lot of prize money if we get an injury and we slip down the table.

It would just seem at odds with our current financial climate and the recruitment model we have adopted. I'm not bothered if we do sign him, he ought to do well here but it would surprise me to see us blow that on him, he's got 20 months left on his deal and is nearly 28.

He is 28 .... we give him a five year deal and if he plays really well then we have an option to get a decent fee in three years ....a centre back at 31 is still a sale as can play into mid thirties at the highest level. 

as far as what we have to pay, Brentford’s modus operandi would indicate a sell on fee approx 15%/20% of the profit so that’s why Burnley will want to get 40m. We shall see ......