Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

James Tarkowski

27 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Not sure how relevant that is. 2 totally different players. I think Barnes has the potential to go to the very top. His pace and willingness to run at the opposition causes all sorts of problems for teams and would if he was playing for Burnley or playing for Man City. He needs to work on his end product but if his end product was already amazing then we would be fending off bids from all the top clubs right now. And going back to my point about Mee being useless at a top club. Hes a very limited player who has had the best brought out of him by Dyche. Hes an old fashioned centre back who loves a tackle and hoofs the ball forward any chance he gets. Which is why he would be useless at a big club who want to keep possession and want their centre halfs to be able to bring the ball out from the back 

My apologies. I got you mixed up with another jay on here who a few months back was spouting utter bollox about how useless Barnes was/is.

We agree on the potential of Barnes but we can agree to differ on our opinions of Mee. :D 

1 hour ago, Jobyfox said:

If I'm honest I've not watched enough of Burnley to know. I actually thought Mee was decent when we had him on loan, but that was at a different level and feels like another era now. 

The way i said it implied ben mee wasnt good tbf, i rate him but he's not one of the top centrebacks outside of the top 6

1 hour ago, Jobyfox said:

If I'm honest I've not watched enough of Burnley to know. I actually thought Mee was decent when we had him on loan, but that was at a different level and feels like another era now. 

It is a different era.  He was 21 then, he is 31 now.  Last time Mee played for Leicester, Jamie Vardy was playing for Halifax Town.  (I dare say both players are better now than they were then.)

Ben Mee is in one particular sense ideal for Burnley.  He's good enough to play 300 games for us but not so good that richer clubs want to buy him.  And of course he doesn't have the primary attribute teams want in their defenders and goalkeepers nowadays - the ability to dribble past three men in your own penalty area.  That's why he's underrated.

As a defender, there are few better.  Certainly not outside the "rich six".

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

I get that people don’t want to pay 50 odd million or whatever, and completely agree. But transfer fee aside I’m surprised at so many turning their noses up at him. Think he’s a decent player personally. 

It's the age m8. Great player but probably at his peak now

There doesn't seem to be any value anywhere.  Maybe we should be looking at loan deals for cover.  Chelsea want to get rid of Rudiger?

If we made a couple of loan signings we could revisit Tarkowski next year and get a very different price.

Are there no outstanding defenders in the Championship?

If Burnley are in the position @dsr-burnley says then it changes things. It would need to be a silly offer for them to sell.

Yes they might lose £10m or more next summer selling him then. But if they stay up they won’t worry  about that. Letting him go would be a disaster if they don’t get the right replacement.

He’ll have to kick off for it to happen. 

Edited by Babylon

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Thank you, I would love him here as well. Could probably be bought for £10-15 million, and is a pacy, ball-playing, physical centreback

Agreed. Would be the player I'd take a chance on if we are buying from the English leagues.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Babylon said:

Surely somewhere in Europe there is a defender available for under £30m that’s decent. £40m I’m struggling to live with.

The problem I think it just how few centre backs have moved this summer, there's only been a handful of notable moves. Arsenal got Gabriel for £22m and Leeds have signed Koch for £11m and Llorente for £18m.

Koch is about as close to Tarkowski in similarities, played a few times for his national team without being considered a regular. Played for an unfashionable mid table club but was seen as one of the most underrated defenders in a top league. That costs you £10-20m on the continent and yet we will have to pay double that to land a PL proven player who is closer to 30 than 25. Its making me pull a face where I have 3-4 chins, like I've got a chicken bone stuck in my throat.

Joe Rodon please.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The problem I think it just how few centre backs have moved this summer, there's only been a handful of notable moves. Arsenal got Gabriel for £22m and Leeds have signed Koch for £11m and Llorente for £18m.

Koch is about as close to Tarkowski in similarities, played a few times for his national team without being considered a regular. Played for an unfashionable mid table club but was seen as one of the most underrated defenders in a top league. That costs you £10-20m on the continent and yet we will have to pay double that to land a PL proven player who is closer to 30 than 25. Its making me pull a face where I have 3-4 chins, like I've got a chicken bone stuck in my throat.

Joe Rodon please.

coudlnt agree more, could get him for half the price and younger too, and looks more than capable of the step up as well

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

When do players peak at 27 these days 🤦🏻‍♂️ He’s a decent player and 35m could get him if he signs a 5 year deal its great business. 

Tarkowski should be our number 1 priority 

forget the re sell value. We have enough players for that model to carry on

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Just looked at a list of 27+ year old defenders that have transferred for more than £30m and it's pretty much a who's who of elite defenders. The outliers are Maguire and David Luiz. 

I’d say he’s miles better than Luiz and Harry well we had there pants down didn’t we 😂

Get him in.

19 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Just looked at a list of 27+ year old defenders that have transferred for more than £30m and it's pkretty much a who's who of elite defenders. The outliers are Maguire and David Luiz. 

Enter stage left Lcfc ........

Are you saying that luiz and maguire aren’t elite defenders ?  I’d be delighted to have cags and Harry as our CB’s ....