Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

James Tarkowski

4 hours ago, dayday said:

If Tarkowski had a 2.5 year contract left, you would be in pole position negotiating Value terms.

As his contract runs out June 2022,  his value and with his age taken in account will drop like a stone every decreasing month, I think any deal around £35 million is the going rate, and you would be wise to accept

Another big problem also for you is he wants to leave, and when you have a unhappy player the best thing is to let him go, we had the same problem with Mahrez

We have two of the best defenders in the PL (certainly among the best outside the "big 6") and no experienced reserves at all.  If we sell for £35m net £26m but get relegated it would not be a wise decision.  There's more to football than money in the bank.

• Like 3

Just now, Babylon said:

The higher the number gets for him, the riskier this transfer gets as it’s a gigantic investment for a club like ours.

I agree but the way I look at it is 40 million for Tarkowski is a lot less risky that 30 million for someone like Fofana. A lot less chance of them flopping massively. We know he can perform in the premier league, he's used to playing in the premier league, he lives in England so moving countries won't be a problem.

I can see why we would be willing to spend 35/40 on Tarkowski but only 25/30 for someone from ligue 1 or la liga 

10 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

We have two of the best defenders in the PL (certainly among the best outside the "big 6") and no experienced reserves at all.  If we sell for £35m net £26m but get relegated it would not be a wise decision.  There's more to football than money in the bank.

I really hope you're not referring to Ben Mee. 

15 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

This post was confusing until I realised that it was a Burnley perspective. I thought we were talking about Evans and Soyuncu.

Tarkowski and Mee. Really?

20 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

lol Ben Mee. Christ. 

1 hour ago, Jobyfox said:

This post was confusing until I realised that it was a Burnley perspective. I thought we were talking about Evans and Soyuncu.

Tarkowski and Mee. Really?

Tarkowski is actually very good imo, ben mee on the other hand...

Edited by honeybradger

1 minute ago, honeybradger said:

Tarkowski is actually good imo, ben mee on the other hand...

If I'm honest I've not watched enough of Burnley to know. I actually thought Mee was decent when we had him on loan, but that was at a different level and feels like another era now. 

6 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Ben Mee is very underrated IMO. Too old now for a big move but still a very decent PL centre back.

Decent yes. One of the best in the prem? Absolutely not. He does a good job for Burnley but would be useless at a bigger club. 

37 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I don't mind Tarkowski but please don't break our club record on him, he's probably about a 7th-9th in the PL level centre half (whereas I would argue Soyuncu and Evans are both higher than that), he's 27 years old, please don't fall for this Premier League proven myth. It's the most expensive myth about. See Ayoze Perez.

But at the same time, people also don't want to spend that same money on a player that has huge potential and is highly rated. But is also unproven in this league (I also don't like that concept as a barometer for how well a signing could do. It's so flawed it's ridiculous).

2 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Decent yes. One of the best in the prem? Absolutely not. He does a good job for Burnley but would be useless at a bigger club. 

We will probably never know if he would be "useless at a bigger club" as that ship has probably sailed for him now.

What are your considered thoughts on Harvey Barnes being successful at a bigger club? :ph34r:

42 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I don't mind Tarkowski but please don't break our club record on him, he's probably about a 7th-9th in the PL level centre half (whereas I would argue Soyuncu and Evans are both higher than that), he's 27 years old, please don't fall for this Premier League proven myth. It's the most expensive myth about. See Ayoze Perez.

Agree with this. It's not just Perez. Throughout the league here are some "proven" players:

- Maguire

- Hojberg

- Michael Keane

- Gylfi Sigurdsson

- Dejan Lovren

- Pickford

- Walcott

- Drinkwater

There are definitely some good ones about too, Mane, Van Dijk, Evans, Gana (before he left for PSG), Kante, Mahrez. But the difference between the second set of players and the first wasn't just that they were proven, but they were obviously really good. Perez had good stats but even Newcastle fans didn't think he was worth the money we paid for him. I don't think Perez is a bad player (more like a misused one) and could yet to be decent. But when you compare his price to that paid for Ricardo, Ndidi, Tielemans, etc then it shows the premium paid for such players is just that, a premium.

All that said I think Tarkowski is a good player and probably Burnley's best overall player, but club record fee territory he is not. Given our club record is 32m for Tielemans though, I expect we have to break it to land him though, and he seems available. We also set the precedent ourselves for how much we pulled Man U's trousers down for Maguire.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

We will probably never know if he would be "useless at a bigger club" as that ship has probably sailed for him now.

What are your considered thoughts on Harvey Barnes being successful at a bigger club? :ph34r:

Not sure how relevant that is. 2 totally different players. I think Barnes has the potential to go to the very top. His pace and willingness to run at the opposition causes all sorts of problems for teams and would if he was playing for Burnley or playing for Man City. He needs to work on his end product but if his end product was already amazing then we would be fending off bids from all the top clubs right now. And going back to my point about Mee being useless at a top club. Hes a very limited player who has had the best brought out of him by Dyche. Hes an old fashioned centre back who loves a tackle and hoofs the ball forward any chance he gets. Which is why he would be useless at a big club who want to keep possession and want their centre halfs to be able to bring the ball out from the back