Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Football Manager 2021

On 13/08/2021 at 09:19, Finnegan said:

Normally the Leicester squad is bang average and needs a lot of work, I often end up selling players I'd normally want to play. 

This year we're probably so good you should be able to smash the league without signing anyone. 

Vardy 

Barnes Maddison 

Tielemans Praet Ndidi 

Thomas Soyuncu Fofana Ricardo 

Kasper 

Play fairly direct, gegenpress, ridiculously high line of engagement and pressing, Vardy racks up 45+ goals in all competitions and Bobs your father's brother. 

Assuming that's like a 4-3-2-1 narrow there, rather than Barnes & Maddison on the wings? Almost tempted to give it a go, wondering if my tactics were just a bit crap.

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

Assuming that's like a 4-3-2-1 narrow there, rather than Barnes & Maddison on the wings? Almost tempted to give it a go, wondering if my tactics were just a bit crap.

Barnes and Madders on the wings. 

Barnes Winger A, I'd probably go with inverted winger S for Madders. Forget what the game says about footedness, having him tick in a bit will give Ricardo good space to overlap like real life. 

This is a good example of what @shen was talking about when he asks you if you play as Leicester with your preconceptions based on real life. We know Madders is a terrible winger IRL. But in FM he makes an excellent creative winger. He'll chip in with plenty of goals and assist like that. 

38 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Barnes and Madders on the wings. 

Barnes Winger A, I'd probably go with inverted winger S for Madders. Forget what the game says about footedness, having him tick in a bit will give Ricardo good space to overlap like real life. 

This is a good example of what @shen was talking about when he asks you if you play as Leicester with your preconceptions based on real life. We know Madders is a terrible winger IRL. But in FM he makes an excellent creative winger. He'll chip in with plenty of goals and assist like that. 

Yeah fair enough. I get what you're saying re Maddison. To be fair - I did often use him, just on the left, but I hate him there in real life. Still don't think I've got it in me to use Ricardo on the wing ever though.

on the subject of playing as leicester, has anyone else done this and been absolutely bent over by injuries? got ricardo, justin, thomas, castagne and daley-campbell (the justin replacement) out in pre season

add that to maddison, morgan, fuchs and party dan all injured from the start

Edited by AllGoneTitsSchlupp

5 hours ago, Danizen said:

If you want a more conventional winger, go for Sima from Slavia Prague. 

Scouts recommended him and I remembered him giving our defenders kittens, last year.

He's so good on FM.

He feels like a bit of a Michail Antonio, and I mean that in a good way.

2 hours ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

on the subject of playing as leicester, has anyone else done this and been absolutely bent over by injuries? got ricardo, justin, thomas, castagne and daley-campbell (the justin replacement) out in pre season

add that to maddison, morgan, fuchs and party dan all injured from the start

It was bad for me but I do think it's an absolutely ghastly schedule.

Started a save with Esperanca De Lagos in Portugal the other day, been fancying doing one in Portugal for a while and I've actually been to Lagos so this swung who to be.

I can't tell if I enjoy the fact that the third tier of both Spain & Portugal are a rat race this year or not. It's basically a transition season where they're totally restructuring their pyramid in both, which makes it very confusing but ultimately, you get what you deserve in the end.

It's mad in the third tier. There are I think 93 teams, split into 8 leagues (or 'series) of either 11 or 12. The 8 winners of these go into 2 groups of 4, play out a group stage, and the 2 group winners are promoted to the second tier (though will play a play-off final to determine the overall league winner).

Then you have 2nd-5th in these 8 leagues to form 32 teams, another 8 groups of 4 are made from this and they also play out a group stage, the top two in each group go into the third tier, alongside the 1st placed finishing teams who didn't get promoted, and the 2 that came down from the second tier, making a new third tier of 24 teams. This was my aim.

From the lower finishing teams they somehow fall into the newly created fourth and fifth tiers. So you can actually finish in anywhere from the second to the fifth tier in your opening season. It's very confusing, and it's very much a one-off, but it's a pivotal season.

It's hard to define where you should be finishing as there's no media prediction, so I just compare wage budgets and whatnot. Ours I think was the 71st highest in the third tier out of 93, so the expectation for us, really, is we probably end up in the fourth tier.

But we don't, we end up in the third, I finished 4th in my league (Louletano, who won our league, ended up promoted to the second tier) and put into that group of four alongside the team that came 5th in our league, and two others who finished 2nd and 3rd in theirs. We came 2nd out of 4 and were promoted. One team, simply 'Real', were the best in that group by a mile and walked it. We kept scabbing results against the others and were somehow in the third tier. I was then sad enough to look at how we had done relative to wage budget and it was clear that we'd massively overachieved, as the next lowest side to end up in the third tier had the 41st biggest wage budget.

So I enter the much more simple 2021/22 season - the third tier, a 24 team league in which the top two are promoted and the bottom two are relegated, which actually I think is a fundamentally flawed league because if you sit midtable in January your season is virtually over, and I've always been under the impression that the play-offs in the 24 team English football league is what keeps it competitive. In this scenario, you will just end up playing sides with nothing to play for and there'll be too much reliance on luck of the fixture list. It turns out in real life it's two leagues of 12, with the top 4 of each going into a promotion play-off, probably less fair, but more competitive.

We enter this league and our squad, I mean, nobody is any good but we go up and I can't even convince two of my key players to stay, despite them having no other offers. We have a squad wage budget of about £3k a week. This is truly tinpot territory, I'm talking Vanarama North level money (although the standard is better IMO).

I've played 21 games and somehow I sit top of the league, having overseen an 18 game unbeaten run which Braga B ended by beating us 4-3. We've been fantastic though for the most part, keeping tactics simple seems to be the way in the lower leagues like this. I got a few players in but it was a mad scramble - you really are scraping the barrel and just relying on clubs like Tondela or Portimonense to loan you players with no wage contribution, because you have to name at least 13 home grown players in your 18 man squad every game, making it even harder, and something that I didn't realise after I'd gone and signed about 3 Brazilians on free agents, all of whom became key players. I have stretched my wage budget though to bring in Famalicao's Diego Batista on loan, I caved in and paid the wages on him because he's just quality, I think he's a nailed on top tier player in future.

I think I can go up. We're predicted 19th out of 24 and have a similar ranked wage budget, but my team is very organised and we hardly give up any chances, think our xG against is something like 13 from 21 games. Pace all over the pitch, brutes in defence and in goal, and one genuinely quality midfielder has been the trick.

Enjoying this though and it'll keep me ticking a while.

Couple of other points of note. I played Uniao de Leiria on the opening day and lost 3-0, they were predicted to finish 1st so I expected a loss but we actually played well in the game, xG was about level, I came out of it satisfied with what happened as I thought yeah I'll stay up easily. They're like 18th and I think have only won 3 games all season, so that result looks an anomaly now and in theory I'll have them at home soon, and I fully expect to beat them.

Really had it hit home the level I'm at though when I lost a winger to a 4 month injury and his pace/acceleration went from 13 to 9 lol couldn't believe it. Literally my best winger as well and he's just ruined. I've no idea if he'll ever regain that pace, he's only 22, but it's annoying nontheless.

Oh, and the two players who left us are still without a club (one of which was a winger who I used to play up front as the squad had literally about 6 right wingers) and are now being linked to fourth tier sides, yet have zero interest in a return here, which just seems silly to me. I get that's probably hard to code into the game but why on earth would they not want to come to us? We could end up second tier, the clowns, and they're getting nothing better than fourth tier interest otherwise.

The squad was silly when I got here. I played 4-2-3-1 in the first season and my entire front four were right wingers naturally. The other player who left me is a centre half called Aboubacar Kouyate, and I massively recommend him if you're managing a lower league side. He came for about £200 a week and I reckon he could easily play in League One at the age of about 21.

Finished the season with Leeds in 14th after joining them in 17th started the new season brought Watkins as can’t seem to score as bamford isn’t getting many at all but started the season badly after about 5 games near the bottom and lost to norwhich in the cup 

Im looking to get into Football Manager when the new one comes out. Not played these games for a long long time, probably back to the days of Champ Man to be honest.

Thinking of managing Arsenal as they seem like a good long term project, maybe Barca post Messi, but the game seems way more sophisticated than it used to be so could take a lot of learning.

So thought would start a fresh one with Leicester and just like every other year I do one with them not been great 😂😂 start the season with Ricardo cags vardy wilf amartey all injured for several months and 1 mill to start with. Seem to concede a lot of 90 mins goals and they all get knackered really quick 🙈 11 in the league in jan and out of Europe and the league cup. Won’t make it to feb I don’t think 😂

One game left and I need just a draw to be promoted. Sporting B have ended up walking the league which is no surprise, Braga B have somehow ended up out of the promotion picture despite scoring over 100 goals. We're away at 8th placed Trofense. 3rd placed Marinhense go away to Braga B. We ought to do it but we really blew it in the last game, 21st placed Lusitano Evora at home and we drew 1-1 after having a red card.

Would be some achievement if pulled off but would be pretty pissed off now if I didn't - neither of the two results needed to stop us going up are expected ones.