Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Adster

"Project Big Picture"

19 hours ago, UHDrive said:

If this does go through then lcfc need to knuckle down and keep investing in players and infrastructure so as to be ready to chase for the expanded CL in 2024/25.

If this happens then the knock on effects will destroy the prestige of both non league and football league football and will significantly harm the status of the premier league as the best in the world.

The best of the rest in the PL need to knock this out of the ball park quickly so as to avoid "them" pushing this proposal any further.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

If this happens then the knock on effects will destroy the prestige of both non league and football league football and will significantly harm the status of the premier league as the best in the world.

The best of the rest in the PL need to knock this out of the ball park quickly so as to avoid "them" pushing this proposal any further.

If this happens we will be marginalised and despatched back to the Championship quick sharp. Hate to be all RAWK/victim like, but this is what will happen, further solidified by our recent outlier position on the PPTV robbery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

So what would this need to get voted through exactly. Presumably the premier league would have to vote and agree on it, meaning 14 votes needed there as a starting point. 

The have the "big 5" & Spurs. So they need to get 8 more votes. 

Everton have aspirations of being a top team again and having never been relegated, I guess they will say yes.

The Dildo brothers will be seduced by having the power of being in the gang of 9, so they will say yes. 

So they need 6 more votes, who threatened with relegation would vote for no parachute payments and a smaller league? Can't see them getting the votes. 

I don't see what Everton really gain from it. They'll be in a "special status" group of nine but outside the Big Six and a vote will only need six to pass so if the Big Six want something, they'll get it. Everton might have a takeover vetoed at some point, potentially. From having an equal vote out of 20, they'll have a weaker vote from 9.

This really has been a dreadful week PR wise for the game. The Man City bloke with his B team nonsense, the PPV announcement and now this. At least we now know what the big clubs want and they've not even been subtle about it.

• Like 1

The most interesting statement was from the government. A government battle with the ‘top six’ would be a wonderful diversion tactic from its current woes. 

I don’t accept the ‘you ask for more than you want’ argument. From what I’ve read, not one proposal benefits the remaining PL clubs. Therefore, why would they vote for any changes? Realistically, what can the ‘big six’ actually do? I suppose they could break away join a super league. But they would face Government intervention and eventually lose their attraction to a more competitive league somewhere in the world.

1 minute ago, Corky said:

I don't see what Everton really gain from it. They'll be in a "special status" group of nine but outside the Big Six and a vote will only need six to pass so if the Big Six want something, they'll get it. Everton might have a takeover vetoed at some point, potentially. From having an equal vote out of 20, they'll have a weaker vote from 9.

This really has been a dreadful week PR wise for the game. The Man City bloke with his B team nonsense, the PPV announcement and now this. At least we now know what the big clubs want and they've not even been subtle about it.

They don't need a takeover, Usmanov is already running things with his money. Without that I have no doubt hey were a no, but I could see them offering support for it with him there. 

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

They don't need a takeover, Usmanov is already running things with his money. Without that I have no doubt hey were a no, but I could see them offering support for it with him there. 

Not now, but who is to say what happens a couple of years down the line? Especially with a new stadium on the horizon. Reading their forum, their fans are livid at this and understandably so.

15 minutes ago, Corky said:

Not now, but who is to say what happens a couple of years down the line? Especially with a new stadium on the horizon. Reading their forum, their fans are livid at this and understandably so.

I know they as are most clubs fans from what I’ve seen, but the cash grab will

be enticing for their owners. They see themselves as big 6/7 and the extra money going for teams who finish higher up will appeal. They will want to be in on a carve up IMO.

It's patently obvious that fans outside of the so called big six are outraged at this idea. ( I haven't checked their forums). 

It's the usual sounds good on paper until you study the reality of it. 

It's Hans Christian Anderson stuff. 

For instance we'll cap away fans price to £20, in reality, we'll put up home ticket prices by £10.

Play off, the 3,4,5, placed teams in the Championship play the 16 placed team in the Premiership. Odds clearly favour the PL team. 

The other clubs must do as we say, while we get richer with your help. 

It's a pity fans aren't allowed into the stadiums, the so called big six would soon be aware of the anger this proposal has caused. 

This is the final nail in the coffin.

The fans bending over and taking everything because of blind loyalty and pure addiction is partly what has led us to this situation. We all moan and then keep lapping it up.

What I loved has gone, this is just a very obvious declaration from the big clubs that they don't give a ****.

To be honest let the big 6 go fook off to some Super League franchise.

The Premier League would be miles more entertaining with the possibility that ANY club could win it. That would be far more entertaining than some borefest where 2 big six teams are tactically nulifying each other. 

There are some fantastic big historical clubs in the Championship that could be Promoted to fill the gaps. 

• Like 1

So the clubs not in the 9 are expected to vote too....

Lose their vote and hand over power to a 6.

Lose 2 of their 11

Stump up cash for the FL

Lose one of the few Trophies they realistic have a chance of winning and a place in the Europa league (although I guess we'll see all but the relegated teams in the expanded Euro Comps).

They don't seem to have offered the rest of the PL much to entice them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

This is the final nail in the coffin.

The fans bending over and taking everything because of blind loyalty and pure addiction is partly what has led us to this situation. We all moan and then keep lapping it up.

What I loved has gone, this is just a very obvious declaration from the big clubs that they don't give a ****.

I am afraid that you are right.

1 minute ago, davieG said:

So the clubs not in the 9 are expected to vote too....

Lose their vote and hand over power to a 6.

Lose 2 of their 11

Stump up cash for the FL

Lose one of the few Trophies they realistic have a chance of winning and a place in the Europa league (although I guess we'll see all but the relegated teams in the expanded Euro Comps).

They don't seem to have offered the rest of the PL much to entice them.

That's how I see it - I can't see why Southampton/West Ham would support it when they could easily be in a relegation fight (more than the others). If the other 11 don't vote against it, they're all stupid.

I would really like to know how much my club knew about this - there only seems to be broad inference that they did, but it's also reported as LFC/MU-only.

I suspect this is a posturing document which will shortly be claimed as only a draft and blue sky thinking.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

To be honest let the big 6 go fook off to some Super League franchise.

The Premier League would be miles more entertaining with the possibility that ANY club could win it. That would be far more entertaining than some borefest where 2 big six teams are tactically nulifying each other. 

There are some fantastic big historical clubs in the Championship that could be Promoted to fill the gaps. 

But ANY club did win it 4 years ago and the 'big 6' didn't like it.

The proposals are based on the greed and self interest of the 'big 6' and they are more or less blackmailing the EFL clubs as they know they are desperate. 

not heard a lot of talk about the future proposal to give 25% of the tv money to the EFL.  that's very attractive to the game in general and would be welcomed by govt who have demanded that the PL sort out an effective 'drip down'. HOWEVER, let think about what that means …….. all clubs basic annual tv money take reduces from 120m to 90m …………….that's far better for the top six to cope with than the other 14 and perpetuates the growing gap between them and the rest 

• Like 3

The 'big six' are doing what any business should try to do when they're on top and try and protect their long-term security in taking the big revenues and prize money. That's nothing new, and isn't dissimilar to the way King Power probably used a few brown envelopes and dodgy dealings with politicians to ensure they secured another decade of monopoly on duty-free in Thailand.

But when I say long-term I mean medium-term. You are not going to keep people watching in the long-run if the same bloody teams win it every year. 2015-16 got on the front pages, not just the back pages. Football arguably never had such a wide reach, even people who couldn't even tell you who Lionel Messi was knew about Leicester in 2016. The Premier League would be in danger of going down an F1-style route - if you corner off the market and make success so dependent on financial backing (or more specifically in F1, the quality of the car over the quality of the driver) then your product is significantly worse for it. 

I can see them getting more CL games from 2024 - probably four groups of eight or something similar. If you're playing 7 or 14 group stage games then you're going to need to bin the League Cup (five rounds for European teams) and probably cut the PL to 18 teams (cuts a further four games from the calendar). I can see both of those happening, and neither would be that significant.

But the 'other 14' can't stand to lose voting control in the PL. It would be a disaster before long.

2 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

The 'big six' are doing what any business should try to do when they're on top and try and protect their long-term security in taking the big revenues and prize money. That's nothing new, and isn't dissimilar to the way King Power probably used a few brown envelopes and dodgy dealings with politicians to ensure they secured another decade of monopoly on duty-free in Thailand.

But when I say long-term I mean medium-term. You are not going to keep people watching in the long-run if the same bloody teams win it every year. 2015-16 got on the front pages, not just the back pages. Football arguably never had such a wide reach, even people who couldn't even tell you who Lionel Messi was knew about Leicester in 2016. The Premier League would be in danger of going down an F1-style route - if you corner off the market and make success so dependent on financial backing (or more specifically in F1, the quality of the car over the quality of the driver) then your product is significantly worse for it. 

I can see them getting more CL games from 2024 - probably four groups of eight or something similar. If you're playing 7 or 14 group stage games then you're going to need to bin the League Cup (five rounds for European teams) and probably cut the PL to 18 teams (cuts a further four games from the calendar). I can see both of those happening, and neither would be that significant.

But the 'other 14' can't stand to lose voting control in the PL. It would be a disaster before long.

I';d prefer if they just ****ed off and formed a super league than this.