Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
justfoxes

Wolves (H) - Post Match Thread - 08/11/2020 1 - 0

54 minutes ago, The boy Linacre said:

I'm sure most noticed 5 of the players on the pitch at the end of yesterday's game for us:

Kasper Schmeichel

Wesley Morgan

Christian Fuchs

Marc Albrighton

Jamie Vardy

Think they might be the last 5 left from 15/16, great effort lads and how important have all 5 of them been over the last 6 games!!!

...the style is not strange to these players, probably felt a lot more comfortable playing this way!!!

5 minutes ago, Sand cats said:

I don't know why the first penalty is controversial and why they still talks about that in DM ? The ball was deviated by Wolve's defender hand so whether it was non intentional or not the referee should reward a penalty.

We've had these sort of penalties given against us for years - I seem to remember a couple of dodgy handball penalties at Liverpool given against Wes and Danny Simpson about 5 years ago now - There was no fuss made then. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Crazy Kop Corner said:

We've had these sort of penalties given against us for years - I seem to remember a couple of dodgy handball penalties at Liverpool given against Wes and Danny Simpson about 5 years ago now - There was no fuss made then. 

Any changes in penalty rules ? Anyway i think it was easy for the referee to decide if he should give a penalty or not because the action was so clear.

Edited by Sand cats

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

Eh?  Wasn't it something like 3-1 on xG?

Edit: Just looked it up and according to understat it was 2-a very generous 1.  Maybe I'm misremembering but I swear our xG was higher than that on MOTD last night, either way a draw would have been a surprise result according to xG.

I said from open play, as penalties count as 0.75 each. That left us both on about 0.5. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

Eh?  Wasn't it something like 3-1 on xG?

Edit: Just looked it up and according to understat it was 2-a very generous 1.  Maybe I'm misremembering but I swear our xG was higher than that on MOTD last night, either way a draw would have been a surprise result according to xG.

Probably not misremembering . There’s different companies put out their own XG stats and all work it out differently - which should tell you what you need to know about how reliable XG stats are.

Edited by when_you're_smiling
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The boy Linacre said:

I'm sure most noticed 5 of the players on the pitch at the end of yesterday's game for us:

Kasper Schmeichel

Wesley Morgan

Christian Fuchs

Marc Albrighton

Jamie Vardy

Think they might be the last 5 left from 15/16, great effort lads and how important have all 5 of them been over the last 6 games!!!

For some reason, that is very upsetting for me. Those guys were part of the team that will always be in my dreams and I will thank them for delivering the impossible if I ever met them. 

The day the last one leaves will be a sad day for the club, let's hope Big Wes stays with us for a while after he hangs his boots up. 

6 hours ago, The boy Linacre said:

Kasper Schmeichel

Wesley Morgan

Christian Fuchs

Marc Albrighton

Jamie Vardy

They're the only regular starters left.

Demarai Gray, Matty James and Daniel Amartey were also at the club during that season, though only Gray made enough appearances to win a Premier League medal by default (though I believe Matty James got one by special dispensation. Not sure about Amartey).

EDIT: Also Daniel Iversen but he was essentially a youth player when signed, there's probably a few other academy and youth players still knocking about.

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nnickn said:

why did Barnes try and smash that chance? a simple touch towards the goal would have been half a second quicker and beat the block.

Do these young players not learn anything from playing with Vardy?

He isn't composed yet and you only really get that through good genes or experience. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sand cats said:

I don't know why the first penalty is controversial and why they still talks about that in DM ? The ball was deviated by Wolve's defender hand so whether it was non intentional or not the referee should reward a penalty.

These were mostly given as penalties in the olden days (pre VAR) and certainly against the away team at Old Trafford or Anfield. Nothing to do with rule changes, some refs gave them, some didn't. VAR was supposed to provide consistancy and it did on Sunday with ours and Man City's. Should we expect everyone of these to be given as penalties now? 

They absolutely weren't given pre-VAR. Everyone understood if you had it hit that hard against you from close range it was never given. Nowadays they introduce shite like deliberate handball (yeah because everyone is trying to block stuff with their arms), natural positions, silhouettes, t-shirt lines and other nonsense to confuse the issue. It's no wonder people haven't got a clue what is and what isn't handball any more. 

2 minutes ago, The Bear said:

They absolutely weren't given pre-VAR. Everyone understood if you had it hit that hard against you from close range it was never given. Nowadays they introduce shite like deliberate handball (yeah because everyone is trying to block stuff with their arms), natural positions, silhouettes, t-shirt lines and other nonsense to confuse the issue. It's no wonder people haven't got a clue what is and what isn't handball any more. 

What!? Are you kidding? Not sure where you've been. Classic example highlighted earlier in this thread from 2015. Have a read... 

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-2-leicester-2-controversial-penalty-decisions-anfield-lead-nigel-pearson-call-video-technology-9953381.html

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Bear said:

I said from open play, as penalties count as 0.75 each. That left us both on about 0.5. 

Probably fair. We both set up with overtly defensive systems, both had periods of the game besieging without actually creating much. 

I mean it was obvious what the game was gonna be as soon as the line ups came out. 

If we hadn't scored a pen we probably weren't gonna score. 

25 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

What!? Are you kidding? Not sure where you've been. Classic example highlighted earlier in this thread from 2015. Have a read... 

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-2-leicester-2-controversial-penalty-decisions-anfield-lead-nigel-pearson-call-video-technology-9953381.html

I haven't seen them but obviously the first one hitting his face is a clear and obvious error. 

Guest Markyblue
27 minutes ago, The Bear said:

They absolutely were given pre var bear we suffered often at places like Anfield. I dont like var or the handball rule but it is what it is . As long as they are consistent i can live with it. For what its worth i thought we deserved to win the game on sunday but were very fortunate last season in both games. Your style is not what we enjoy and a win is a real bonus. 

17 hours ago, trabuch said:

Just watching the replay. At about 75 mins there is 20s of play that sums Kasper up. Complete failure to take control of his 6 yard box, followed by an outstanding save.

Not to mention immediately afterwards shanking a goal kick into the seats.

• Like 1