Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
justfoxes

Wolves (H) - Post Match Thread - 08/11/2020 1 - 0

It was a tactical masterclass from BR which had me surprised a bit. With Barnes not starting in Europe and Madders being wheeled out I would have thought that they would have swapped before the start. Playing a back 5 again against a defensive team as another surprise but once we scored Wolves looked clueless and couldnt work us out. Yes we tired in the 2nd half but that is to be expected.

With all these players still to return, it really is excited times ahead.

3 hours ago, The Bear said:

No not happy. We start games far too slowly. The times we do start quickly (Sheff Utd + Palace) we end up playing well and score. 

That's why he's not starting games. Too little impact off the bench. I think he maybe looks better cutting inside from deep and running at players centrally, than predictably bursting wide and hoping he gets a cross away. 

What is the general opinion of Wolves fans after that game?

I have to say we always seem to get the rub of the green against Wolves in terms of refereeing decisions. I think we've had as many as 6 big calls go our way in recent games between the two teams!

That said, this is the first time since we've played you since your Premier League return where I've been underwhelmed by Wolves. Usually not only are you very well setup defensively, but you put us under real pressure offensively too. Today though I felt that Jimenez, Nevez and Podence were almost non-existent. Compared to the games we've played against you in the past where I've bricked myself with the way that Traore, Jota and in particular Moutinho performed. Credit where it's due I once again felt like defensively you were very well setup but offensively offered very little. Yes our keeper was forced into a world class save, but other than that I rarely felt there was much threat. Actually Wolves remind me of us in 16/17 post title win when our counter attack was still super effective but we just looked clueless against a deep block. It's taken us literally years to find an alternative way to play, but finally we are getting there.

All that said, some of the younger players looked quite promising I thought. But I do think that you need someone a bit like Maddison for us that can drift between the lines and make things happen!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Also fair play to The Wolves manager who is one of the few who hasn’t seems to bitch and whine losing to little old Leicester 

makes a change compared to entitled Arteta and Guardiola recently 

I think Nuno is normally pretty reasonable before and after any game.

Think he gets away with a lot from Wolves fans though. If I was a Wolves I’d be fed up of them still playing like a newly promoted side and being painfully dull pretty much every week. Idk what say he has in transfers but they’re in dire need of some dynamism in midfield, no idea what Dendoncker offers. 

• Like 1

I said on this forum on November 7th 2015 after 12 games ''I think we might be able to stay the course'' on a thread where people were speculating about how long we could keep our good run going and could we win the league.

Five years and a day later , after 8 games, I say that We will stay the course and we will win the Premier League for a second time. 

One last thing, does anyone know of a bookie offering 5,00-1 against this time?

12 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I say we don’t worry about the media and keep any expectation away from the players ....... last season we didn’t cope with finishing  top four so lord knows how we would deal with being talked as champions ..... I suppose we have experience of winning the league rather than finishing top four ! 

Absolutely agree with this.

Even when they do start to bump us up in their pages, it's always so patronising and vague. 

10 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

What is the general opinion of Wolves fans after that game?

That we didn't deserve to win but it was a fairly even game in open play, which the xG bears out. We could have snatched a point in the end, but can't complain at a 1-0 loss after that first half. The first penalty was a naff decision but the second was nailed on. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

How dumb of Wolves to sell Diogo Jota, they were much better as a forward unit with him, Raul Jimenez seems abit isolated without him

Raul was better with him for sure, but he was generally ineffective for long spells. When he has a spurt of form he looks a world beater but they were too few as his time at Wolves went on. Nuno signed off on letting him go because he wanted someone better on the ball. Podence looks good on the ball but probably lacks the goals. 

• Like 1

The other thing that’s got me feeling really happy about this team/season is the way we are reacting to pressure. Leeds last Monday and Wolves yesterday, at stages, we were under the cosh. Especially against Leeds. As much I want us to, against good sides, you’re not ever going to dominate for 90 minutes. The reaction from the players during those period showed great mental strength. Something I thought was missing last year. It shows further development of a young side. Onwards and upwards.

• Like 2

Watched motd2 last night, understand the rules have changed in regards to handball but for me the first wasn't a penalty. Fired at the arm from a few yards, there was nothing the player could do to avoid it hitting his arm. 

Obviously the rules have changed though so that's something I have to get my head around rather than bitch and moan like all the pundits seem too. 

On a similar note, the man city penalty was a handball for me, much greater distance between the 2 players and I'm sure the player turned into the ball meaning his arm moved to the ball. 

Was a little annoyed motd didn't acknowledge this as they were completely different scenarios imo.

• Like 1