Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
justfoxes

Wolves (H) - Post Match Thread - 08/11/2020 1 - 0

One thing I was surprised about yesterday was how turgid Wolves were coming forward

Apart from Kasper’s brilliant save, I can’t recollect they had many more chances?

So ponderous in the attacking third

We didn’t let them have much though tbf

Great defensive performance by us yesterday 

• Like 2

That was our toughest test of the season so far yesterday. It was important to get a result no matter how we played. Mentally I think there's a block on us surrounding our home form and with the situation being what it was we came through this test to really put a stamp on our early season standing. 

Wolves, while they don't seem to offer much going forward, are a very tough side to beat, it was a bit of a chess match and we had to be more organised than them, which we were. I don't think it can be understated how important results like yesterday are to us

On to Liverpool now. A game that last season at home, I believe, saw us lose our belief and ultimately hit what was close to relegation form for the rest of the season, even with the lockdown break. That heavy loss to them really took away our swagger and by the end of it we were looking like a Sunday league side at times. I know the term is well over used on here, but that really is a massive game if we want people to take us seriously this year. Come away from that with a draw or a win and people should start to take notice. 

33 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

One thing I was surprised about yesterday was how turgid Wolves were coming forward

Apart from Kasper’s brilliant save, I can’t recollect they had many more chances?

I thought this too. Especially first half. They had nothing and Kasper could have just stayed at home. I think they may have just had difficulty in knowing how to get through our back 3. And that came from good pressure from us in the midfield whilst letting their defenders have the ball in less threatening and dangerous positions. I mentioned in the Tactics thread I think this is why Maddison and Praet were chosen to start as it cut the passing channels through the middle for Wolves and made them pass further out wide, where Justin and Thomas were fairly advanced. 

It really did nullify them and they were out of ideas until half time. 

58 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

That's why for as good Wolves are as a team, they will struggle to break top 6. Their record against the teams that finish above them is very good, because those teams take the game to them and are vulnerable on the counter attack. The teams they struggle against are teams that match their counter attack and / or are happy to take a draw. This is a familiar feeling for us because we had the same issues post title win. Eventually we solved it by slowing introducing more technical players when Puel was in charge and finally speed up the attacking and making it dynamic with Rodgers. Even then we still have issues at times!

Wolves have brought a number of younger player who seem technically gifted so it seems like they are starting out on their journey, but it will be interesting to see if Nuno is the man to take them forwards. My feeling is that for as good a manager as he is, he won't be able to evolve their style to get them to the next level. That said breaking the top 6 is not easy at all unless you throw a load of cash at the problem, and even then it's not guaranteed. I would say that Wolves look more likely to do it than Everton, who have Carlo Ancelotti in charge and James Rodriguez in the team! The Premier League is crazy competitive, which makes our current league position all the more remarkable. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's why for as good Wolves are as a team, they will struggle to break top 6. Their record against the teams that finish above them is very good, because those teams take the game to them and are vulnerable on the counter attack. The teams they struggle against are teams that match their counter attack and / or are happy to take a draw. This is a familiar feeling for us because we had the same issues post title win. Eventually we solved it by slowing introducing more technical players when Puel was in charge and finally speed up the attacking and making it dynamic with Rodgers. Even then we still have issues at times!

Wolves have brought a number of younger player who seem technically gifted so it seems like they are starting out on their journey, but it will be interesting to see if Nuno is the man to take them forwards. My feeling is that for as good a manager as he is, he won't be able to evolve their style to get them to the next level. That said breaking the top 6 is not easy at all unless you throw a load of cash at the problem, and even then it's not guaranteed. I would say that Wolves look more likely to do it than Everton, who have Carlo Ancelotti in charge and James Rodriguez in the team! The Premier League is crazy competitive, which makes our current league position all the more remarkable. 

I'm not sure I share your skepticism about Nuno.  I think he's already starting to evolve their style, but it's a long process (as LCFC fans should know).  There are a lot of cues you can pick up when you watch Wolves that show you how well-coached they are.  They're also very fit, with a great injury record and great energy late in matches.  They just don't have a tremendous amount of technically skilled players in the final third (maybe Silva will help).  If Nuno can't get them there I'm not sure there's any manager they might realistically pursue who could.

Also just wanted to give credit to several players I think we all thought had less to offer this season. Mendy is the obvious one but Fuchs has been outstanding. Albrighton came on and really helped solidify things, Morgan has come on the last few games and helped settle things. 

6 hours ago, Danny Clender said:

Absolutely agree with this.

Even when they do start to bump us up in their pages, it's always so patronising and vague. 

Yeah.. but there is no "they" Really is there..!!! ?   

The media & Profi pundits, will have their various Perspectives & bias. 

Some will ignore clubs like Leicester,Soton,Villa, while others will push & admire our aspirations..

Sky gives me the Basic und Top Service I require,but in its character ,& presentation make up....every Single Broadcast moments centres too much & heavily

around the same Clique of clubs....Yesterday like every week,Post Match Interviews & discussions are cut Short if the following game is a Preferred

Sky Certified "Top 6 " game. So a pleasant relaxed afternoon of fair debate Cross section,

reporting & Reviews becomes Bias & monotonous only Representing the few instead of a majority neutral cross mix.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Col city fan said:

pappy is the cattermendy

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I'm not sure I share your skepticism about Nuno.  I think he's already starting to evolve their style, but it's a long process (as LCFC fans should know).  There are a lot of cues you can pick up when you watch Wolves that show you how well-coached they are.  They're also very fit, with a great injury record and great energy late in matches.  They just don't have a tremendous amount of technically skilled players in the final third (maybe Silva will help).  If Nuno can't get them there I'm not sure there's any manager they might realistically pursue who could.

I reckon many are underrating the Wolves ,its Early season yet,I reckon they will get better, the longer we get into the season...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StanSP said:

I thought this too. Especially first half. They had nothing and Kasper could have just stayed at home. I think they may have just had difficulty in knowing how to get through our back 3. And that came from good pressure from us in the midfield whilst letting their defenders have the ball in less threatening and dangerous positions. I mentioned in the Tactics thread I think this is why Maddison and Praet were chosen to start as it cut the passing channels through the middle for Wolves and made them pass further out wide, where Justin and Thomas were fairly advanced. 

It really did nullify them and they were out of ideas until half time. 

Spot on young Stanley!

👍

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Good post

Yesterday demonstrated the direct comparison

Us going forward... fast, slick, accurate, passing between their lines of defence 

So much so, we all knew if Jamie had scored that second penalty they were NEVER coming back from that.

Them: slow, sideways, getting blocked in the final third

I guess that’s why we are top of the league.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Col city fan said:

They're awful to watch. Turgid football. Nuno talks about evolving and I hope they do, but damn, they are painful to watch for a team that finished 7th. 

4 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

Give or take a couple of million, our entire starting 11 yesterday cost around the same as we got for Chilwell and Maguire combined. Mad that. 

Sure is mad though  l remember that in early 2016 when we played at the Emirates one Arsenal player, Ozil, had cost more than twice as much as the entire City side that day. No wonder we were 5000 to 1!

I'm sure most noticed 5 of the players on the pitch at the end of yesterday's game for us:

Kasper Schmeichel

Wesley Morgan

Christian Fuchs

Marc Albrighton

Jamie Vardy

Think they might be the last 5 left from 15/16, great effort lads and how important have all 5 of them been over the last 6 games!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Bear said:

That we didn't deserve to win but it was a fairly even game in open play, which the xG bears out. We could have snatched a point in the end, but can't complain at a 1-0 loss after that first half. The first penalty was a naff decision but the second was nailed on. 

Eh?  Wasn't it something like 3-1 on xG?

Edit: Just looked it up and according to understat it was 2-a very generous 1.  Maybe I'm misremembering but I swear our xG was higher than that on MOTD last night, either way a draw would have been a surprise result according to xG.

Edited by Carl the Llama

3 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Eh?  Wasn't it something like 3-1 on xG?

2.05 xG (LCFC)  -  0.58 (Wolves)    understat

2.0 xG (LCFC)  -  0.7 (Wolves)   fivethirtyeight

more than you wanted to know  :ph34r:  but don't forget, xG isn't that meaningful just for individual games.