Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
justfoxes

Wolves (H) - Post Match Thread - 08/11/2020 1 - 0

3 minutes ago, Ron Combo said:

Just been on the BBC Sport home page. Amongst the journalistic treats on offer are Juventus being held by Lazio, 'special' Harry Kane and Manure's Women's team going top of the super league. OK, go to the football page and there we are. Leading with 'contentious' penalty and a caption on Vards pointing out that we have been awarded eight pens this season. Oh yes, and Mr Neil Johnston also manages to say that we are top of the league, if only for a few hours.

Doesn't fit the narrative, see?

I say we don’t worry about the media and keep any expectation away from the players ....... last season we didn’t cope with finishing  top four so lord knows how we would deal with being talked as champions ..... I suppose we have experience of winning the league rather than finishing top four ! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

To be honest I can't remember those but watching at home with a  toddler means you miss the odd thing. 

I don't think anyone could really complain with it was a draw, two even matched sides and struggle to create too much against organised defences.

We're you happy with that as a Wolves fan? Especially first half, it must be frustrating because I reckon you can be better if given the opportunity to express themselves more. Plans seems to be keep it tight and chuck Adama on. I know we've been guilty of slightly negative play but there is a balance.

No not happy. We start games far too slowly. The times we do start quickly (Sheff Utd + Palace) we end up playing well and score. 

47 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Apparently Adama Traore has gone 19 games without an assist and over 30 games without a goal.

That's why he's not starting games. Too little impact off the bench. I think he maybe looks better cutting inside from deep and running at players centrally, than predictably bursting wide and hoping he gets a cross away. 

Edited by The Bear

Just to be clear ,and not having seen much of them ,  Wolves’ attacking strategy seems to be waiting for the oppo to misplace a back pass to their keeper who may be in a catatonic state having had  nothing to do and watches it roll into his net . Am I missing something as they were being talked up as top 6 contenders ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Poco said:

The definition of scrappy but I'll take a scrappy 1-0 win over a scrappy 1-0 loss every time! 

Fofana and Mendy immense. Fuchs rolling back the years. Justin growing with every minute. Youri: the Belgian Pirlo.

Great stuff!

I'm kind of liking that left side combo of Fuch's guile and Justin's youth. Traore was kept in check.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, sishades said:

This post has been checked by VAR and happily we can say it is free from grammatical  errors. Top effort.

38 minutes ago, LCCFox96 said:

Superb win, ugly yet beautiful. We got the rub of the green with the penalty decision against Kilman - although I think that's the first of our penalties this season that has been remotely contentious - but we were most deservedly ahead at the break. The second half, we were defensively sound and conceded very little in terms of clear cut chances. Bar a Neves long range drive, I thought the defence protected Schmeichel really well. Wolves are a top side, so that is no mean feat.

Mendy and Tielemans exceptional in the deep lying midfield roles again. Maddison looking really sharp and Fofana a certified beast. A word on Praet too, thought he personified everything good about that performance today - great energy, graft in the defensive part of his role, flashes of quality going forwards and left everything on the pitch. An unsung hero of the day.

6 wins from 6 in 3 weeks across Europa games and high pressure, intense league fixtures with 5 starting outfield players missing for the bulk of it is a phenomenal effort from the squad. The management have found a system that works for us and have executed some brilliant game plans. To man, the fit players have played us through a tough period and they wholly deserve every point they've picked up as a team.

Back to proof-reading school, @sishades ...

Edited by Buce
  • Haha 1

Great result against a resolute well organised all round decent Wolves team. First half we were excellent, and showed signs of being able to open up defences in tight games and with a more match fit Maddison and we could have come off the pitch at HT with a bigger lead. Second half I felt the schedule was starting to show, as the legs were getting heavy, but we kept going and battled to get the win which is a credit to the guys. Not the prettiest of games but an excellent well earned win.

Fofona was a monster today, some unbelievable defending at times, carry on like this and Cags won’t get anywhere near the team, Wes is already starting to look better IMO. More to see of course, but so far so good. 

Hard fought as you would expect against Wolves. Pleasantly surprised how poorly they played first half. We looked very good first half, inevitably tired a bit in the second, but ground it out, and did fairly well at restricting their opportunities. 6 straight wins is excellent. 

What makes it even more enjoyable is how the squad have stepped up in the absence of so many established players. Justin has been fantastic this term, Mendy looks like a new signing, and Fuchs and Albrighton, who I felt unfortunately had come to the end of their time in the first eleven, have a new lease of life. And of course Fofana. First time I’ve been able to watch him for 90mins today, but he looks a hell of a talent. Hopefully the second half of this season we will have the bonus of big players coming back and making the difference rather than losing them. Anfield will be tough, but we have a chance of keeping that 100% away record going

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Given it’s one of their biggest games in years he’ll probably want to play even if half fit.

Yes, he sees the sort. Just wondered how his back will be after today.

• Like 1