Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Genesis1

Leicestershire live best XI article.

So a lot of people have been talking about what are Leicesters best 11, what will we do when our injured players get back ect ect.

Leicestershire live have done a little article on this and put down what they believe will be going forward.

Thought it would be interesting to get something going regarding this team which would likely be towards the end of the year compared to the team that's being playing so well currently.

Apologies if this post is already around, couldn't find one.

Not a bad little read considering the source.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-citys-best-xi-selection-4718958

0_LCFCs-best-line-up.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Genesis1 said:

So a lot of people have been talking about what are Leicesters best 11, what will we do when our injured players get back ect ect.

Leicestershire live have done a little article on this and put down what they believe will be going forward.

Thought it would be interesting to get something going regarding this team which would likely be towards the end of the year compared to the team that's being playing so well currently.

Apologies if this post is already around, couldn't find one.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-citys-best-xi-selection-4718958

0_LCFCs-best-line-up.jpg

This starting XI with a bench of:

Justin, Big Wes, Praet, Under, Iheanacho, Mendy, Ward

Not making the match day squad:

Perez, Fuchs, Choudhury, Thomas, Albrighton, Gray,, Amartey and Slimani 

Imagine a time when we have players not good enough to make our best match day squad who are worth more money than the Premier League winning squad.

We have some serious depth here.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Genesis1 said:

The Mercury is awful, but I actually like Jordan Blackwell and think he might have been a better fit for The Atlantic than Tanner.

As for his 11, it's harsh on several players, which is a good problem to have.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

The Mercury is awful, but I actually like Jordan Blackwell and think he might have been a better fit for The Atlantic than Tanner.

As for his 11, it's harsh on several players, which is a good problem to have.

feel sorry for blackwell, not really much you can do with what the merc gives him

58 minutes ago, davieG said:

I don't think it's as simple as that, you can argue who are our best players?  But team wise the best 11 depends on who you are playing and what formation is best needed to beat them.

That's what we've lacked and what we're trying to perfect.

You can decide on a hypothetical "best 11" and still switch line-ups and formations to suit different opponents and situations.  

I don't think we know what our best XI is yet as a number of these players haven't played much during this re-emergence from the slump last season. We could well run in to problems trying to fit the supposed best players in to this system or changing systems because we don't think they suit this.

It is a very good problem to have but I'm honestly finding it difficult to fit Soyuncu and Ndidi in to this 3-4-1-2 as Soyuncu is not as comfortable at LCB, he has seldom had a good game there. Fuchs seems to provide that perfect foil for Thomas or Justin whom obviously is right footed. Mendy cannot be dropped right now, he has been exceptional.

Then there's the issue with how we fit Tielemans, Maddison and Praet in. We cannot deploy all 3 in this system like we did vs Wolves regularly as it is too defensive and limiting the pace we have at our disposal in Barnes and Ünder to supporting Vardy.

Decisions, decisions. Will we be as effective if we go back to 4-1-4-1 and deploy Barnes and Ünder and have Ndidi sitting in freeing up Youri and Maddison? That also means no place for Soyuncu or Evans and Praet or Maddison rotating which is going to be disappointing for either of them.

It's very encouraging that there is a debate here as it shows that we have options.

As others have said our best eleven may be determined by the shape of the side.

If we continue with a back 3 I see no reason to rush Wilf back in the place of Mendy.

If we go back to a back 4 then we’d go back to 2 traditional centre backs (rather than the likes of CF and JJ in there) with Wilf as the CDM. 

Both foundations then dictate the players ahead of them and where you want to get your creativity (e.g. if you want to keep Maddison central as opposed to a wide forward). 

It certainly is more refreshing than the limited options we’ve had previously where it was either throw another CDM on or Gray for a somewhat disappointing cameo. 

42 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't think we know what our best XI is yet as a number of these players haven't played much during this re-emergence from the slump last season. We could well run in to problems trying to fit the supposed best players in to this system or changing systems because we don't think they suit this.

It is a very good problem to have but I'm honestly finding it difficult to fit Soyuncu and Ndidi in to this 3-4-1-2 as Soyuncu is not as comfortable at LCB, he has seldom had a good game there. Fuchs seems to provide that perfect foil for Thomas or Justin whom obviously is right footed. Mendy cannot be dropped right now, he has been exceptional.

Then there's the issue with how we fit Tielemans, Maddison and Praet in. We cannot deploy all 3 in this system like we did vs Wolves regularly as it is too defensive and limiting the pace we have at our disposal in Barnes and Ünder to supporting Vardy.

Decisions, decisions. Will we be as effective if we go back to 4-1-4-1 and deploy Barnes and Ünder and have Ndidi sitting in freeing up Youri and Maddison? That also means no place for Soyuncu or Evans and Praet or Maddison rotating which is going to be disappointing for either of them.

I think a fit-again Soyuncu strolls back into the starting lineup (if we play 3 at the back). 

As well as Fuchs have played, the only way he remains a starter will be at LB/LWB (or in EL and Cup games).

Cags may have suffered a couple of dodgy performances, but for most of last season he was head and shoulders our BEST defender (even over Evans). That's why there was UNANIMOUS horror on FT when the Barcelona rumour reared its ugly head. I think what is likely to happen is that a fully-fit Cags walks back into the team, and then if he underperforms over a couple of games, Brendan might start re-jigging the lineup. 

As good as this team has been with the players currently available, it has the potential to get much better.

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 2

We've basically got 2 first choice line ups - a 3 at the back for the likes of Man City away and 4 at the back for likes of Burnley at home.

For the 4 at the back games, I guess we are going to rotate three of CBs into the two CB positions anyway due to the volume of games so it will give us a good opportunity to see how Cags and Fofana work together.

For now I'd start Evans and Cags (just) if all three are fit and we are playing a 4 at the back, I just think Evans makes his supporting defenders better so we cant ditch him as our first choice just yet.

10 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Cags was never better than Evans last season.  No way.

Not sure what you find befuddling...

That your personal opinion is not universally shared?

Go and look at the match ratings from last season, and Soyuncu grades slightly BETTER than Evans.

Is that an objective measure? Of course not! Is that “proof” Soyuncu was better than Evans? Absolutely not.

Merely evidence that folks can REASONABLY (even on FT) hold different rational opinions re players.

It’s not substantively different from your obvious personal admiration for Claude Puel, whom many others think was gash!

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Sad 1

What is more fun is the reserve team. To me that is: 

Ward

Justin, Amartey, Wes/Benkovic, Thomas/Fuchs

Mendy

Praet   Choudhury

Perez/Under      Gray/Albrighton

Iheanacho

That's nuts to have that team on standby... 

Edited by Cameron Davidson
  • Like 3